Anyone take a week off from exercise??

Options

Replies

• kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I've only been on MFP for about a month, but here is my experience...The first two weeks I worked out three times per week and lost 1.5 and 2.5. The next two weeks I didn't go to the gym but did go for some walks with the kids. I lost .6 and .8.
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    A guy at work is a full on athlete, with a coach and nutritionist etc, has about 6.5% body fat, is strong and fit, eats about 8-10 meals a day depending on where in the season he is, every 8 weeks he has a week with no exercise and eats the same.

I'm not suggesting you do this, but I know it is a part of some people's routine. Confuses the body and gives the muscles a bit of a break.
  • amyrobynne
    amyrobynne Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    After 3.5 months of about 6 days/wk at the gym including 2-3 with strength training, I went to Disney World for a week, ate a lot, and walked 100,000 steps. By the time I came back, I'd gained 2 lbs (after a couple days, so those were real pounds, not water weight) and lost 3 lbs of muscle. It put me back about a month.
  • misschloe89
    Options
    I am also thinking about this.. I normally run 3-5 times per week and although im slim I feel that if i didnt do as much as this my legs would be less muscley & I would have a more slender frame IF i take a week or so off from excercising and just focus on healthy meals and plenty of water..? I wouldnt mind losing some muscle..
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Every 12 weeks I take 1 week off from the gym.
  • jennytree
    jennytree Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I've taken the last 3 or so weeks off, due to being completely run down. I've kept well within my calories and I've lost weight so it can be done but I don't feel as healthy as I could be.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I've taken a week off here and there. Sometimes I do it because I'm too busy. Sometimes I do it because I'm feeling tired and run down and need a break.

As long as I adjust my calories down, I still lose.
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I've taken about 2 weeks off because I've been sick (first with killer migraines, then killer cold). I was losing about .5 lbs a week before that, but I weighed myself again this morning, and I lost 1.5 lbs. I feel gross because I like working out and getting that sweat in, but I can't even walk upstairs without getting winded right now.

So I guess what I'm saying is, you'll probably continue to lose if you take a break and stay within your macros/calories.
  • greenmeena
    greenmeena Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise when I'm on my moon cycle; it's not good to stress the body when you're bleeding, particularly any exercises that invert your legs above your waist. Anyway I am clumsy and tired when I bleed, so I usually take about 2 to 3 days off and I feel so much better when I do. I find I'm more prone to injury when I'm PMSing or bleeding, so that's just the way it is- a built in rest period every single month. I don't regret it at all.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I do occasionally take a week off from weights, but I still walk, dance and do yoga because those are already built into my life. Although, I also take a week off from dance during vacations. I guess I take weeks off from all three, just not at the same time. If I'm on break from weights, I am dancing and doing yoga. If I'm on break from dance, I am lifting weights. Walking just happens because it's how I get places.
  • haydensmommy30
    Options
    Don't do it!!! I started with just taking a couple of days off. Then it turned into a week. Then 2 weeks. Before I knew it, it was a month later and 13lbs heavier.
  • TazzytheMotivator
    TazzytheMotivator Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Do what is best for you !
    To answer your question, no i never taken a week off from exercise , and i been on this site for 2 years plus, what would be the point??
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I've taken weeks (or multiple weeks) off several times due to injuries and most recently after surgery. I have to agree with those asking why you want to do this-what's the goal? Every time I have not been able to exercise, I have either maintained or gained weight (for good reason-I am a miserable b!tch if I eat as little as I need to in order to lose without exercise calories, and I ate like an absolute cow after surgery). Nothing wrong with taking time to rest, it really should be part of your overall plan anyway, but I'm curious what you are hoping to accomplish weight-loss wise with taking a week off.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Well every 3 weeks I take a week to train with lighter weights (much lighter) and cut my overall volume in half... does that count?
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I felt like total crap after taking a week off. But if you feel like you need to, then go for it! :smile:
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Not since I joined MFP - I was sick recently and shouldn't have worked out at all but after 2 days I was going crazy and I just had to get back to it.
  • SWilcox818
    SWilcox818 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I took this week off due to being sick...I miss the gym!! Going today despite how my sinus' feel....my body needs the exercise!
    I also did the same thing pretty much...I think I exercised two days last week but had to take the rest of the week off due to illness. I still ended up losing weight but I'd really like to get back on the treadmill, crazy as that sounds...

Doesn't sound crazy at all. I have been sick and am missing the treadmill as well. Starting to feel a bit better today so tomorrow I'm back at it!
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Yes, and doing so week of christmas, Rest-repair-renew;-)
    Do what worsk 4 u;-)
  • dsimmons107
    dsimmons107 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    If you are taking off as part of a recovery period then it makes sense. It allows your body to heal and prepare for your next cycle. When I take my recovery week I still walk to get my calorie burn. You may need to do nothing depending on how tough your routine is and how your body is handling it. Listen to your body. You don't want to over train either. If it is just because you want to be lazy the answer is NO keep going.
  • simpsona5
    Options
    Counting the calories will still work, however beware once you stop exercising you might start to lose your motivation to get back in to it. Like the others I now find I miss the exercise on the days I don't do it. Good luck which ever way you decide :)