Fit, Fabulous, and Pregnant-October 2011

Options

Replies

• MadBabysMama
    MadBabysMama Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I tried prune juice (most disgusting thing in the world!) I don't know if I can stomach the stuff... I was gagging it down and actually had some of it come back up. So I pose this question to everyone. What are some other ways to increase the movement of the bowels? I am getting desperate.
    So, I'm definitely not a prune girl, but the individual large prunes, in a canister, I found to be delicious - I ate them after delivery of my daughter last time, to make the first bms easier. I couldn't imagine drinking prune juice myself, I'd try the prunes instead. Try to get them as moist as possible, if they are individually packaged, they night dry out a bit.

AFM, I had my OB appt today for my checkup (Pap smear and all that good stuff). The good part - they found the baby's fast little heartbeat on the doppler, I was afraid they wouldn't b/c it's still pretty early, but there it was. Always so thrilling to hear that beautiful thumping!
  • svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies...I managed to do a 20 min walk/jog yesterday and a total of 3 hr walk today as we had a field trip to the zoo. Not to mention logging a wagon full of drinks and snacks and lunches. It was great walk and pull weight combo.

Thank u ladies for all the tips about constipation. I think I may try the benefiber.

Babeed glad to hear Ur results came out negative.

Heather- glad to hear u will tone it down a bit. Take it e-z and listen to Ur body.

Taldie- I hear u on Ur job. I was kinda hurt today, one of my parents told me she put in an application as a sub because our principal had let her knw that I was pregnant and they could use her as a sub when I go to appt or maternity leave. I was hurt because I wish my principal had given me a heads up first.

Man, I wish we had a Burlington coat here or a tjmaxx or kohls.
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Misti that really stinks... I've had two friends (and just recently) that had to have surgery while pregnant. One was for a growth on her ovary and the other had an appendectomy! Both did great and both have gone on to have healthy pregnancies (with one delivering). I hope it doesn't resort to this...but if it does, know that lots of women have surgery while pregnant and it turns out just fine. But I am guessing that your doctor will plan on doing the surgery very very soon or wait until after the baby is born. You are in that window right now where it needs to be done before she gets any bigger! Wishing you all the best though!

madbabysmama so happy for you that you got to hear the incredible sound of your baby's heartbeat! :) What an amazing feeling huh?!

I'm going to do a 5 mile hike/walk this morning...I think it might be my last. I'm looking into doing water aerobics at the community center. The funny part is that most of the people taking the class are senior citizens since the community center is connected to the senior center...lol. I've always wanted to take water aerobics but with all the people either being 70 or 300lbs I didn't see it as a viable option for me and decent workout. But I'm thinking you get out of what you put into it so I'm thinking I'm gonna give it a go. I'm sure it will feel so good to be in the water. I'm thinking between that and yoga and tracy anderson arms I should still be getting in some good workouts....for being 9 months pregnant...lol.

Hope you all have a great day!
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    About furniture, we got out son's dressers from IKEA. It's not real wood but very sturdy. And we pick a one has rounded corner (nothing sharp). And the price is unbeatable. Haven't thought about getting new furniture for the baby yet, but we probably should.

For gym membership. I used to belong one, only $30 a month with access to any gyms are participating in the Blue Cross Blue Shield fitness program. So I can access different gyms, some has swimming pool, some open 24/7, etc. However when Summer came, all I wanted to do is go outside (running/biking), and going to gym became dreadful. So I quit the gym in Jun, and use the money to get a pair adjustable weights, chin-up bar and I'm good to go (I have a treadmill at home already). It saved a lot doing this way.

We have such a great weather this week, today will get to 79 degree (F). I'm taking my bike to a Forest Preserve near home today for a ride. Cannot wait.

Good to see all the posts!
  • jchecca
    jchecca Posts: 131
    Options
    morning all! its been a busy friday AM so i just spent a little time catching up on the thread!

nursery furniture...agree with what most say and its definitely depending on budget. we're looking at a set on babies r us that we really like...but are still looking to see what is out there. i know for sure we'll be going with a convertible.

question off this topic: what are your ladies plans as far as your child sleeping right after you get home? will you get a bassinet for your room or will they go right into the crib?

Taldie - you bring up a VERY good point with the child care at the gym...mine has that as well which is great! either way...i did call and i can not get out of the contract...we're up in one year...so we have to keep it. might as well use it and love the idea of child care there!!

for me...its mashed potato bar at my work today which has me a little concerned because i could literally eat 2lbs of them even when i am not preggo!!! i loooooooove them! so i am literally talking myself through this morning saying how i can try and make a good meal but NOT to go overboard! then tonight hubby and i are painting our living room which i am so looking forward to because it needs to be spruced up!! lovely weather out this weekend...so we'll get some good long walks in too!!

hope everyone has a great day!!
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you ladies know, but all breast pumps are 20% off at Babies R' Us this weekend! :) That makes the Medela one I want only $240!! Part of me hates buying expensive things before family has a chance (that sounds terrible I know lol), but I just don't see anyone purchasing us a breast pump as a gift. I think people would rather buy "fun" gifts. lol Anyways, they're having a lot of stuff on sale....formula, diapers, sleepers, monitors, etc.

As for the question regarding bassinet sleeping or crib sleeping at first...I'm not sure yet. Part of me wants to say I'll put the baby in the crib from the beginning, but another part of me thinks I'll want to use a bassinet by our bed for the first few months. A friend has offered to sale me hers (only used since end of June) for $30 so I guess even if we only used it a few months we'd get our money's worth and if we decide not to use it then we could just put it on Craigslist. It's just hard because Eric is aircrew and flies up front with the pilots on the plane so I want to allow him as much sleep as possible at night. The baby crying on the monitor probably would barely wake him (he barely wakes to his alarm sometimes lol) so I'm not too worried about that. I'm anxious to hear what others are planning on doing.

Also, as for furniture...check Amazon. You can join Amazon Mom and you get Prime free for a while and for every $25 you spend in the baby department they will extend your Prime membership for a month, up to a year. I'm not sure if it costs after that and, if so, how much. They're prices are cheaper than Babies R' Us and Target on most of the same brands. Same goes for diapers and most of their products. And you get free shipping on a lot of stuff if you spend over $25. I love Amazon!! We have their credit card and use it for everything (gas, groceries, etc) and will use the points we earn to purchase diapers most likely.

I'm the same way with the gym right now. I was alternating running on the treadmill at the gym and running outside at home, but now that I've gotten better at running outside I think I enjoy that better. At least while the weather is nice. It's been 68-72 and sunny all week. I love it! Although, yesterday I only walked the dogs because my legs were pretty tired and I was feeling achy in my uterus/lower abdomen area. I DO want to start more strength training though. I feel like my arms are getting flabbier and I had nice arms before. I miss lifting heavy. I know I can't lift heavy now, but at least doing something will make me feel better. I need to look into the Tracy Anderson workouts you all speak of. It's obviously great because, Heather, your arms look fantastic!!! :)

Do any of you beautiful ladies have any plans on Halloween costumes for yourselves? Or do you plan on dressing up at all? Etsy has a cute t-shirt with a skeleton rib cage and a skeleton baby on the belly part (sounds demented, but it's actually cute lol) that I'd like to get, but it's about $25 and I hate to pay that much for a shirt I'll wear once.

We're driving down to South Carolina next weekend to stay with my MIL and I can't wait!!! I love it down there and we haven't seen them since November of last year. His Mumzy (great-grandmother) turned 100 last month and this is kind of the celebration party for her. It's a "Beer, Burgers, and Blue Jeans" party so it should be fun. lol All the women are true southern belles so it's always fun to listen to them talk and see how proper they act. lol I was raised in the country in the Midwest, but don't really have an accent so I love hearing them talk. :)
  • BelgianLady
    Options
    Hi ladies! Hope you are all having a great day!

Thank you to all of you for your kind words...logically I know that slowing down is not me being lazy, but my logical mind and my body have a fight going on with my illogical mind and passion for being active...I'm sure only people who have been working out for years and have integrated it into their daily lives like eating/sleeping/bathing understand this. I've decided that I am going to at least tone it down to 3 days a week of cardio for an hour and then 20-45 mins of toning and then 2 days a week of only 45-60 mins of toning (Tracy Anderson Method). This is toning it down from 5-6 days of 1 hour of cardio WITH an hour of toning each day...

I am starting to feel the separation/stretching of my pubic bone and it is pretty achy. I'm starting to waddle more...which I'm sure makes me look ridiculous! lol I am going to see the chiro tomorrow, which I'm pretty excited about. With my achy ribs and throbbing pelvis I feel like my body is falling apart but I know it is all normal. I know there isn't much she can do about those two things, but just putting my spine back into alignment feels so good.

I hope you all are having a great day!
    Hi Heather, take heart..the end is in sight :-)
    If you feel more pain be extra carefull because it *could* be preterm labour. Hopefully it wont be and you will go full term :-)

I feel for you because for us it is much harder lazying around than being active :-(

The doctor confirmed yesterday that I'm 50% effaced (since week 30+6d, we are now week 32) and confirmed that I am on bed rest until the end in part because I overdid it with exercise and standing up and being active around the house. Obviously every person is different and twin pregnancy is a bit heavier on the body.

so hang in there; at least you can still do some of it, even thought you have been told to tone it down a bit. Enjoy the water aerobics and take care of yourself!

Have a great weekend everybody !
  • Raynamama
    Raynamama Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Has anyone gone to the chiropractor during their pregnancy?
    I've only had a couple adjustments in my life (before pregnancy) during active release sessions - mostly chiro freaks me out but my hips are killing me and I have some sort of twinge or pinched nerve type feeling in my lower lower back (which could be my hips as well)
    I had the WORST sleep ever last night, I could not get comfortable to save my life :( I even had my 90 min yoga class last night and it didn't help.
    Anyone else having these issues?
  • atomdraco
    Options
    I used bassinet next to our bed for the first a few weeks, for our first child. It seems helps adjusting frequent waking up at night since I really don't want to get out of my bed. Then we move him to the crib later on after I realized I was waking up too easy even with the baby turning and making very little sound - per my doctor's suggestion. :-) I'm a light sleeper. It's all depends.

I will suggest to get a good video monitor (at that time we didn't get one earlier on), and put the baby in the his/her own room, but you can see exactly what happened using the monitor without getting disturbed too much.
  • atomdraco
    Options
    The doctor confirmed yesterday that I'm 50% effaced (since week 30+6d, we are now week 32) and confirmed that I am on bed rest until the end in part because I overdid it with exercise and standing up and being active around the house. Obviously every person is different and twin pregnancy is a bit heavier on the body.

so hang in there; at least you can still do some of it, even thought you have been told to tone it down a bit. Enjoy the water aerobics and take care of yourself!

Have a great weekend everybody !

BelgianLady - sorry to hear that you have to be "bed bound". I sure it's get much more out of a mom when pregnant with twin. Take it easy and hope everything goes well to the end.
  • paulandrea
    paulandrea Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Happy friday Moms !! i hope everyone enjoy the weekend. :)
  • DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Has anyone gone to the chiropractor during their pregnancy?
    I've only had a couple adjustments in my life (before pregnancy) during active release sessions - mostly chiro freaks me out but my hips are killing me and I have some sort of twinge or pinched nerve type feeling in my lower lower back (which could be my hips as well)
    I had the WORST sleep ever last night, I could not get comfortable to save my life :( I even had my 90 min yoga class last night and it didn't help.
    Anyone else having these issues?

Rayna,

I have not but it's on my list of things to get done!!

My cousin works at one and told me they currently have 4 people that were specifically trained for preganancies. I wasn't aware that they are not allowed to touch certain areas because of the perssure points, can't do any type of deep tissue or muscle kneading, and they can't use any type of pressure instrament on your back. I was like WOW, I had no clue! If you are planning on going to one, I would recommend calling previously and getting some info on their current practioners and how long they have been working on pregnant women??

I made the mistake of mentioning it to my doctor and he did not recommend it (but then again my doctor is overly cautious)
  • taldie01
    taldie01 Posts: 378
    Options
    Grrrr last night I did nothing. I had run out of my antinausea medication and felt really sick all day. By the time I got home I had a pounding headache (picked up McDonalds on the way:grumble: ) ate then threw up, had a shower and drank some hot lemon water then went to bed. I have to work out tonight! Im going to walk on our treadmill her at the gym at lunch for 20-30 mins, then mabe a short run tionight. The weather here is cloudy,cold :frown: Makes me extra sleepy.

My daughter is heading out to the cabin with her nana today, so Ill be worried the whole day untill they arrive safely. Luckily my inlaws are pretty young and nana has taking courses on driving on the track in her beemer. She also has her bike liscense and a harley and a duccatti...:glasses: ahh ya her Ducatti is specially sized for her cause shes so small....

Anyways looking forward to the long weekend, Ill be absent from the site

Goals this weekend
    drink lots or water
    walk lots
    go on one hike
    go on one short run!

Happy turkey eating to my fellow canadians
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Thanks Heather - I have heard that it is becoming more and more common to have your gallbladder removed, and even during pregnancy it's ok. I plan on calling my doc today to schedule an U/S of my GB to see what needs done. I am thinking I have 4 weeks to get this taken care of. Typically they don't like to do it during the third trimester. Running out of time and hoping to get this taken care of so I can feel good again.

Baby sleeping - I always had my son in a bassinet next to the bed for the first 3 months, after that we moved him to his own room in the crib and used the baby monitor. This is my plan again. I always made sure to pick him up before he cried that way he wouldn't wake himself up too much. He never did cry very much at all though. :) I was a freak about waking up and wondering why he wasn't waking up, I always had to check a million times a night to make sure he was breathing. He slept through the night starting at 4 weeks old, lucky me!!! :)

Plan to walk a few miles on the treadmill tonight and possibly get some yoga in. It's rainy and cold and officially fall. Looking forward to my hubby coming home today. We will have to try out the fire place in the new house for the first time. Also it's my dads b-day today so we will be having dinner at my parents house. Should be fun. Hoping to feel better, and I think I do a little bit today. Just going to live on low sodium lite soups I guess. :( Already want a salad so bad!

Have a good weekend everyone! I have to get busy and stay busy all day! So much work to do.
  • abeare
    abeare Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    So I too will be away for the long weekend, but I wanted to post goals for my weekend:
    Get one workout in at the gym, and one at home (yoga or Pilates video).
    Get all 8 glasses of water everyday
    And only one desert per Thanksgiving meals (we have two suppers to go to).

Have a great weekend everyone!
  • rosannabarbaroflores
    Options
    I'm on the fence about the bassinet vs crib topic. While I see the value in keeping the baby immediately next to me for nighttime feedings...I can never sit comfortably in bed. I'm either laying in bed, or I'm not in bed because that's how uncomfortable I am when trying to perform any task (...well not any task...I am pregnant, right :wink: ). Also, because I have my body so geared to the bed being only for sleeping (...), I can't really function while trying to get a task done in bed (like reading). I immediately become extremely sleepy. So I question if trying to breastfeed in bed isn't actually going to be dangerous for me. Sleep deprived momma + no endurance for staying awake when in bed = bad news. But this is only me. I only mention because if anyone else is like me, this is probably something to consider. Also, the way our house is set up, the master bedroom is only about 5 feet from the nursery. So I wouldn't exactly have to make some horrible trek to another part of the house to get to baby. I think I may have just decided to skip on the bassinet idea...I think.

I did my yoga yesterday, but didn't get in my walk with the pups. Doing a strength DVD and walking the pups tonight though. The gorgeous weather is sticking around until mid-next week, so I'm really going to try to take advantage. Tomorrow's project will be sanding the high chair my parents used for all 5 of us on my front deck (me and my siblings). The chair is in amazing shape but needs to be refinished. I am sanding and my sister will re-stain and varnish it for us. Tomorrow night we are going to one of my SIL's for dinner, and Sunday I will be hosting my other SIL and her family at our house. So its going to be a very active weekend. But there's nothing like spending time with family.

BelgianLady: I'm sure the time with fly. Better to keep you and babies healthy and safe. My best friend was on bed rest her entire third trimester. She helped the time pass with crochet work, reading, movies, internet...

Kristy_estes21: Thanks for the info on the Babies R Us sale! Very helpful. But I completely understand how you feel about family/friend gifts. To tell the truth, I’m kind of holding out until after the baby shower my mother is throwing for me to see what I do get gifted. Its not that I expect anything from anyone. I’m certainly grateful for anything that anyone gifts us. But I don’t want to risk taking ideas from anyone either. I’ve got a very big family, and knowing how they are, if I were to go out and start purchasing things on my own, someone will end up upset with me because they had intended on purchasing whatever it might be. RE: Halloween costumes…I have no idea! My husband and I throw a big Halloween Party every year, so my costume is always a big deal to me. I was thinking of going as Mother Earth, but that’s the only thing I can think of that will incorporate my baby belly rather seamlessly. If I wanted to go with a funny costume, I was going to go as a pregnant nun…I know….if I come up with anything else, I will let you know.

This board moves SO Quickly! Hopefully I can check in over the weekend and won’t be totally lost come Monday. If not, I hope everyone has a healthy and active weekend!!!!
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    atomdraco enjoy your bike ride...it sounds awesome!

As far as sleeping arrangements for the baby, we were gifted an "Arms Reach" cosleeper bassinet. Basically it is a bassinet that butts right up to the mattress of your bed so the baby is in their own bed safe from being rolled over, but still close enough that all I have to do is reach over and pick her up to feed at night. Kristy like you making sure my husband has plenty of rest is crucial. He is an instructor pilot and it is absolutely vital that he gets enough sleep every night to be able to fly. So we have an extra bedroom downstairs that he plans on sleeping in while the baby is still waking throughout the night (on the nights he knows he will fly the next day). That's our plan anyways. And then we will move her to her crib when she is sleeping through the night (hopefully by 3-4months).

Kristy there is some controversy about this...but I bought my Medela pump instyle Metro (retails for $350) on Craigslist for $60. We will get brand new tubing and breast shields from the hospital, but milk never touches the actual motor itself. The woman I bought it from had bought it brand new and she was a mom of twins and she used it in the car to pump so it was barely used. I say it was my "steal of a deal". Some people don't agree with buying pumps used but honestly you are buying the motor and milk never even touches it. There is a warning not to buy used pumps but I personally think that is because they would lose out on SOOO much money if people did that... Just an idea. Oh and I saw that tshirt too. It is uber cute and I would totally get it but I don't wanna spend that much on a shirt that I might not even get to wear cause it is a week before my due date and she could come any time! Al wants to paint my stomach like a pumpkin....I'm not impressed. lol And thank you for the compliment. I admire other women's arms as well. I find long/lean arms so much sexier/prettier than muscly arms. I used to lift heavy and had bulky/muscly looking arms (more like Jillian Micheals...not that anything on her looks bad...just that I prefer a more feminine look if that makes sense). Since doing Tracy Anderson's method my arms have slimmed down and toned up, which was the look I wanted. :) Your trip sounds fun! I'm sure you will have a blast!

Belgianlady I'm sorry to hear you are on bedrest...I think that would drive me insane. But I know it is all for a good reason. Thank you for the kind words. I don't think it is preterm labor...I think it is just my body making room for her. And the end is in sight...just not close enough! lol I keep thinking 38-39 weeks sounds like a great time to have a baby these days! lol I know she will come when she comes...I just hope she is kind to my body.

Rayna I go to the Chiropractor at least once a month and plan on this last month going weekly (until I deliver). I also did acupuncture and adjustments when we were trying to conceive and believe that helped us out as well. I am a Register Nurse but believe in a combination of eastern and western medicine. Most Doctors frown upon Chiropractors...but to be a chiro you have to go through more training that the average doctor. Lots of my friends even take their babies to get adjusted and it helps to avoid ear infections and helps with gas/colic problems as well. I swear by mine...but don't push my belief onto others unless they ask. I understand that chiro's aren't for everybody...but if you are asking my opinion I say do some research and find one in your area that works with pregnant women. It will make you feel SOOO much better. Speaking of...I'm going to see mine in a few hours and I can't wait! :) Also, do you have a body pillow? Sleeping with something between your knees will help. But around the same time I had a lot of hip pain as well.

taldie hope you have a better day today!

Misti hope you and your hubby have a great weekend together!

Ash great goals!

Rosanna sounds like a fun weekend. Enjoy yourself!

Well I'm thinking today's hour and a half 6 mile hike/walk might be my last...My pelvis aches so badly. The hardest part is going to be telling my workout partner I think I'm out. She managed to workout with me up until 3 days before she gave birth. I guess that is why I'm finding it so hard to "slow down".... But I wanna try out the water aerobics and still do some Tracy Anderson. So I'm not giving up...just slowing it down a little...I think.
  • Raynamama
    Raynamama Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses about the chiro - I think I am going to try it out, my mom and sister go to a place close to my work so I'm going to call and see if they have someone who has worked with pregnant women. This hip pain is ridiculous!
    I do have a body pillow and that's not even helping me! I need to get adjusted! ;)

As for the bassinet issue, I want the exact same one that Heather mentioned on her post, I found it on Amazon for $150 so I think that is the one we will get. I did some reading about the "fourth trimester" and I really agree that for the first 3 months it feels right to me to have my baby right within arms reach, especially for feeding purposes etc. after 3 months I think we will go to the crib but I am just not comfortable doing that at first, maybe because it's my first baby but I also believe there are many good reasons behind it.

What are people's takes on baby showers? Do you have one before the baby or after the baby arrives?

My goals for this weekend:
    I have two family thanksgiving dinners this weekend - so I'm going to REALLY try to not overindulge...fingers crossed!
    With my hips and back the way they are right now I'm really going to try to rest and not push too much, maybe I'll go on some walks this weekend.
    Drink LOTS of water.
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    Hey Mamas. Busy day at work so far! Now I want to do nothing else the rest of the day.

A little follow up....
    I have been to the chiro once since preggo. My dr. said it was fine and I just told my chiro. He did a few less things than he typically did before (no shocking sticky things on my back) and he gave me some good advice for my pregnancy. He told me to quit wearing heels :sad: and to do a few stretches/positions for my lower back which is where i have issues.

I was just talking to my sister about registry items as we are beginning our registry this weekend and she used the co-sleeper for the first few motnhs too. We plan on doing that as I know I will not want to get out of bed, walk down the hall and into the nursery every 2 hours. A friend of mine is bringing some baby stuff into town for us to borrow for a while. She is bringing a breast pump (Medela I think), pack and play and a bunch of clothes. At first I was a little weirded out by the pump, but I do know the girl well and I guess I can replcae the parts if needed. Is there any risk of reusing breast pumps from others or is it just a people being weirded out thing? Doesn't bother me; I share food, drink, etc. with my friends. If I can save $300, I'm down.

I did not run/walk yesterday as planned, but I did walk a total of 35 minutes during work (to a meeting and to and from lunch) and then another 30 minutes with Eric and my doggie (slowly). I may shoot for a short run tonight after running my errands. This weekend I'm sure I'll get some walking in and hopefully some work done on our nursery mural!

Hope you all have lovely weekends.
  • DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I think this will be my last post for the weekend. We have Texas Red River Rivalry & I have very bad Ranger Game fever!! The state fair is in full force, oh my there's lots to do in Dallas this weekend!!

Costumes: Hubby and I are making our own. We are wearing black pants/ white shirts. He purchased both our chef hats yesterday and some black aprons. When I get a minute I'm going to stencil "I am the Bun Maker" on his apron and I'm stenciling "Bun in the Oven" on mine... I'm also adding a few iron-on's just to make it cute. By then I should know the babies sex so I will be able to do something to my tummy area. Found a cute iron-on at Micheals that has a bottle and it says BYOB...too cute!

Cribs/Bassinets- I've been wondering about this myself. We have split rooms therefore we have to walk completely across the house to get to the babies room...But I'm not sure how I feel about spending on a bassinet? We really just dont' have the $$ for that right now....Maybe if it was gifted?? I'm going to have to do some additional research..

ok ladies. Have a great weekend!