Splenda!!! Friend or Foe

Options
I'm just curious what you guys think. I just got chewed out by a facebook friend's relative for suggesting splenda instead or sugar for baking. I guess I'm not into the whole thing as to why its as evil as sugar. lol. Please enlighten me.

Replies

• Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Let the comments begin...
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Splenda: A Natural Sweetener?

The chemical name of Splenda is sucralose. While sucralose begins as as a sugar molecule, it is the process by which it's made that is concerning. Sucralose is a synthetic chemical that is manufactured in a five-step patented process. During this process, three chlorine molecules are added to a sugar molecule. The initial, natural sugar molecule is a disaccharide made up of two single sugars bound together; these single sugars are glucose and fructose.

The chemical process used in making sucralose modifies the chemical makeup of the sugar so much that it is converted into a molecule that does not normally occur in nature. Because this artificial molecule is not natural, the body does not know how to metaboize it. According to the manufacturers of Splenda, this is the very grounds on which Splenda is calorie neutral -- it is not broken down or metabolized by the body. Splenda simply passes through your digestive tract without depositing any caloric residue.

This is misleading, however, as Splenda's no calorie status would only hold up if the body did have the capability to metabolize it. More troubling, the fact that sucralose is a wholly artificial ingredient proves questions about its safety, especially if used in large amounts over a long period of time. There is the additional matter of insulin reaction. While research reports are still inconclusive, the medical research community widely theorises that Splenda elicits an increase in insulin levels, which, despite the calorie content, will signal the body to hold on to fat reserves or even store more fat.

http://www.womenshealthweightloss.com/oct08/splenda.html
  • Lollyvoddy
    Lollyvoddy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Foe.
    http://www.truthaboutsplenda.com/

Try Stevia, or another natural sweetener.
  • davidpm
    davidpm Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Agree with the Stevia comment. I get the same sweetening without the chemical processing. The verdict may still be out, but it can't hurt to go natural.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I don't use the brand Splenda, but i have replaced the sugar in my tea with sweeteners, and I've never felt better! Saved me roughly 400 cals a day!

Some will say it causes cancer. Then again, what doesn't cause cancer these days. Like anything, taken in moderation, it's fine :D

Remember, if it makes you live longer, it just means you're dying slower. One life, don't overcomplicate it. Enjoy it :)
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Turbinado sugar is fine too, it's just raw sugar.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    it's a friend to me..curse my sweet tooth.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Foe.

I don't use insecticide in my tea.

I do use Stevia. :drinker:
  • Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I won't use it. My neurologist made me throw out all artificial sweeteners.
  • sassyN1989
    Options
    I can't have artificial sweeteners so it is a foe. Good luck finding the answers you need though.
  • aliburstall
    Options
    I can't speak about splenda, I know there is a lot of misinformation in the form of alarmism out there. I do know agave is very low on the glycemic index, low calorie, all natural and very sweet.. Plus, you can make tequila out of it! Go tequila!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Foe.

I don't use insecticide in my tea.

I do use Stevia. :drinker:

You mean this Stevia? Yeah...sounds reeeeeal healthy :P

Dangers of Stevia

Stevia has been linked to several long term side effects which has made it a reason for controversy and doubt in the recent years. Although it has been used since centuries by the natives, there are several claimed dangers of stevia. The following are some of the claimed dangers or side effects of stevia.

* Firstly, it is said to be the biggest hindrance in the process of metabolism in the body. Regular consumption of stevia slows down or stops energy metabolism and hence, disrupt the process of conversion of food into energy.

* Secondly, one of the biggest stevia dangers is its link to cancer. When tested in a laboratory, it was found that stevia was capable of bringing mutations in cell's DNA or the genetic material. This is only a claimed side effect as this effect has not been observed in human beings till date. However, scientists and researchers have still not confirmed whether stevia can cause this mutation in human beings or not.

* Thirdly, difficulties or problems in reproduction is also believed to be one of the stevia side effects. Long term regular consumption of stevia is claimed to affect the male reproduction system, specially leading to a decreased amount of sperm production. When tested on female animal, it was found that stevia led to decreased number of offsprings.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Foe.

Yeah I would go with Stevia or something similar. I did more research into Splenda and I try to stay away from it. I've also heard people get allergic reactions to it too.
  • stormtruck2
    stormtruck2 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I use agave nector in my hot cerals in the mornings, and the distilled gift of it at night. Agave necter rocks, Any reicpe that calls for honey, try agave necter instead, great flavor change up.
  • Malani2010
    Options
    Let the comments begin...

I was taking a deep breath as I hit "post" I knew it would be a rough ride. lol
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, Stevia doesn't work well with baking. I do use Splenda in moderation. (Not daily or even weekly, or in large amounts)
  • Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    HmonsterX- That post would mean more if it had a link... (just sayin)

http://healing.about.com/cs/uc_directory/a/uc_stevia_jones.htm
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Ughhhh who to believe? I use Splenda and was considering switching to Stevia, but now I am not sure. I suppose for now I will stay with Splenda.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's my friend. I'm a "better living through chemistry" kind of person. :tongue:

If I had bad reactions to an artificial sweetener, as I know some people do, I'd avoid it. Personally, I have bad reactions to Ivory soap and the glue on Bandaid brand bandages, but I don't tell anyone else not to use those products.