9 Week Holiday Challenge (close group) wk 2

Options

Replies

• KatrinaG2012
    KatrinaG2012 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    QOTD 10/9/11 Sunday: Are you an emotional eater? What feelings get you to that place? What is your strategy for overcoming emotional eating?

I have been an emotional eater for as long as I can remember. I am usually a very happy and goal oriented person with a bit of "control freak" thrown in. When I get really stressed out, generally over things for which I have no control, I get this feeling of helplessness that can be overwhelming. I don't have time for that. In the past I would stuff those feelings by medicating with food.

I have found that practicing a few minutes of belly breathing and focusing on each breath can generally alleviate these feeling or at the very least get them under control. Each breath in is a cleansing breath and each breath out contains those feelings. Checking in with mfp works too. I read a few minutes of others posts and it inspires me to do better and helps me to remember that I am worth more than the feelings that are controlling me.
  • ChatSournois
    Options
    QOTD 10/8/11 Saturday: Is there any speific body part you're looking forward to "re-discovering" or discovering for the first time as you reach your weight loss goals?

I used to have my belly button pierced and I'd love to have a stomach that was flat enough to get it done again.

QOTD 10/9/11 Sunday: Are you an emotional eater? What feelings get you to that place? What is your strategy for overcoming emotional eating?

I think there are certain situations that make me more prone to over-eat. The last few weeks on this challenge has been great..the gentle competition has made me think a lot more about staying under calories each day. I'm looking forward to reading everyone's strategies!
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    QOTD 10/8/11 Saturday: Is there any speific body part you're looking forward to "re-discovering" or discovering for the first time as you reach your weight loss goals?

I have one roll on my back that I simply can NOT wait to get rid of! It was the last part of my body to get fat (and just happened in the last month or so before I started to lose weight) but it just won't go away!

If I am bored or angry I want to eat. I try to keep myself busy so I don't get bored. If I get angry I try to go for a walk instead of shoving food in my face!
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options

The body part that I would most like to discover for the first time would be my belly button. I have never had a "cute" belly button... although I likely won't unless I elect to have surgery... :o(

I am an emotional eater, but when I began this journey, I basically had gotten my mind in to a state in which that was no longer an option. I have mentioned before that I am an all or none kind of person, so I either put all of my effort into eating right and not letting my emotions get the best of me or I give up completely (which is how I gained this 123 pounds...). I am determined not to give up again. I will not travel this road again. Mentally, I can't. Physically, I can't. Socially (for my family), I can't.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

I think its a normal human reaction to want to eat when you are upset so any general feelings of unhappiness make me want to have some kind of treat.

Like I said before though - I just had to recognize that you can't have a treat every day or every other day or in addition to eating a high cal meal.

I try to find lower calorie things or substitute a treat-y meal for a healthy meal when I'm upset.
  • RhondaLeeRoss
    Options

I don't really consider myself as an emotional eater; however, I was so upset yesterday with my 2lb weight gain that I just pigged out anyway! So maybe I am a bit of an emotional eater!?!?! It was our family Thanksgiving so turkey, mashed taters, gravy, stuffing, etc.....oh yes then the piece of chocolate cream pie and 4 Reese squares!!!! Oh yes, and the 4 rye and diet pepsi! Oops! And now I'm gonna get a little personal but I think part of my weight gain is because I'm full of S@*T! Literally! It's been 13 days people! Ugh. (I know you're shaking your head Darlene Medeiros but you know me....lay it all on the table!)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone (Canadian)!!!
  • jnell82
    jnell82 Posts: 136
    Options
    QOTD 10/7/11 Friday: Do you allow yourself to have a "cheat" meal or "cheat" day once a week, where you allow yourself to eat whatever you want? Why or why not?

I have had 1 cheat meal in the last 3 weeks. I think that once this life style change becomes more of a habit, I will be able to allow myself a cheat day every once in a while, but at this moment my will power is too fragile. I "cheated" on a day that I had a movie date with my daughter's girl scouts, a birthday party, and a wedding! The next day was really hard for me to be good. I think my next cheat day won't be until Thanksgiving because it was a lot harder than I expected. Kudos to you, though, that can have a cheat day and get right back on it the next day!
  • jnell82
    Options

My belly button! I know it seems silly, but I miss wearing my belly ring. I can't wait until I can wear it again and feel comfortable with it. I'm also hoping to shrink a few bra sizes lol. I have been a D cup since 9th grade, now I'm a DD. I wouldn't mind going down to at least a C cup with my weight loss....
  • jnell82
    Options

I am very much an emotional eater! Any extreme feeling makes me want to eat, even extreme happiness, but its mnostly anger and sadness, I am working on different coping mechanisms to overcome this, though. So far, they have worked pretty well! Hopefully after a while, it will no longer be an issue.
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options

WOW reading these I could just cut and paste Jnell82 (guess that is why we ended up team mates!!) I too eat when I am happy, mad, sad, whatever... I am working on it - a work in progress. I will take a walk, read a book, call a friend, pray AND sometimes I go for a walk while calling a friend to pray - and MOST of the time one of these will work - but I admit sometimes nothing works and I just eat.
  • 6eighteen11
    Options

I tend to eat more when I'm stressed or super sad. The worst part is, my husband loves me so much he can't say "no," when I ask to eat something crappy when I'm in these moods. I try my hardest to get my butt downstairs to work out before I take a single bite of food. Usually, if I can get myself to do that the icky feelings pass and I can remind myself that I can make myself feel better without turning to food (which usually just exacerbate any sort of self-misery feelings).
  • starsnyc21
    starsnyc21 Posts: 436 Member
    Options

Yes I am an emotional eater. When I have too many feelings at once that I can't seem to process I tend to look for comfort foods. I'm reading this book right now about how to overcome emotional eating. After this stressfull week I've had, I'm not sure it's helping me.
  • luvmybee
    luvmybee Posts: 58 Member
    Options

I don't know how to say this without turning bright red, but I miss being able to see my "womanhood" without having to move my belly out of the way. I can not wait to be able to groom myself comfortably.... ~BLUSHING BRIGHT RED~

Yes. THIS! I have the mommy apron which is what one gets after having a c-section, apparently. It is just lovely. I've heard it doesn't go away, but maybe it will get smaller??
  • luvmybee
    Options

Yes, yes, and YES. This is why I am fat. No other reason. Well, besides the fact that I struggle with depression, BUT that means that I am emotionally unhealthy and that's when I eat. I loved the strategy that one of you said about working out first before giving in to temptation. LOVE that. My strategies are:
    -Eat a little bit of what I want. In fact, if you were to see my food diary you would see that I eat out a lot (even fast food) and have many treats.
    -I will drink hot, sweet tea.
    -I will get a little frozen yogurt which satisfies my sweet tooth.
    -I will lay in bed, if at night, and watch tv to try and distract myself.
    -I will remind myself just why I need to lose this weight.
  • luvmybee
    Options
    ignore :)
  • luvmybee
    Options

I don't really consider myself as an emotional eater; however, I was so upset yesterday with my 2lb weight gain that I just pigged out anyway! So maybe I am a bit of an emotional eater!?!?! It was our family Thanksgiving so turkey, mashed taters, gravy, stuffing, etc.....oh yes then the piece of chocolate cream pie and 4 Reese squares!!!! Oh yes, and the 4 rye and diet pepsi! Oops! And now I'm gonna get a little personal but I think part of my weight gain is because I'm full of S@*T! Literally! It's been 13 days people! Ugh. (I know you're shaking your head Darlene Medeiros but you know me....lay it all on the table!)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone (Canadian)!!!

You are so funny. I can GUARANTEE you that those two pounds are s*^t! Can you take a laxative or do a suppository? Maybe citrucel. You will feel so much better when you have "done your thing."
  • KatrinaG2012
    KatrinaG2012 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Of course I meant C25k!:ohwell: On the question re: exercise. What the heck is a C23K anyway
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

Yes I am. Especially when other areas of my life are not going well. i did it last week. Or if I feel like I failed at soemthing. I usually take a long walk or talk about it with someone and get it off my chest.
  • mariahhatfield
    Options

I'm not sure if I'm necessarily am an emotional eater, but I do eat when I get bored. It's improved though, since my days are packed full. I barely have time to eat. The hardest thing for me is when I'm free on weekends.
  • nenabug
    nenabug Posts: 156
    Options
    Ok I'm playing catch up from a VERY long weekend that was not relaxing at all. *sigh*

My stomach. I've been pudgy and squishy in my middle since I was about 10. I've never had a small core and that's my goal. I want to get it toned and as non flabby as possible. It's the first place I put weight and the last place for it to come off. I'm not sure I'd know what to do if I didn't have a muffin top anymore :tongue:

OH yes! Feeling out of control or overwhelmed usually. I never want to eat when I'm super happy and productive. Only negative feelings and boredom.

I try to give myself 10 mins of redirecting my thoughts, drinking more water, PRAYER, assessing what is REALLY making me feel this way and going for walks. Patience and self awareness have helped me a lot. And I have found that since I quit watching the Food Network and most "food" related shows, I don't struggle as much as before.