STOP THE INSANITY!!

Options
MFP is an awesome resource for anyone seeking to live healthier by improving their fitness and eating habits. However, it is also an awesome source of misinformation. It is important to remember that everyone offering input on the forums is offering opinion. Sure, there are some professionals using these boards, ie. personal trainers, nutritionists, and healthcare professionals, but the numbers of them are relatively few in relationship to the millions that use this website.

The following is a list of misinformation that gets tossed around so freely on these boards:

1. If you lose too fast, then you will gain it back. (This is only true if you choose to return to your old eating habits. I think everyone is intelligent enough to know that their old eating habits are what made them fat in the first place. How quickly they lost the weight had absolutely nothing to do with how fast they gained it back.)
2. The whole muscle/fat debate. (The same volume of muscle is heavier than the same volume of fat. Everyone understands that. No further explanation is required.)
3. HRM's are the most accurate way to determine calories burned. (No! Simply put, this is what the companies that make the HRM's want you to think. HRM's track heart rate. Calorie burn is achieved by your metabolism and everyone's metabolism is different. Calculating calories burned from heart rate is still only an assumed calculation.)
4. You have to eat back your exercise calories because that is how MFP is set up, therefore, it must be right to do that. (MFP is only a guide, a tool, to help each individual structure their own diet/fitness program. There is no right or wrong about eating back exercise calories. MFP is not set up for you to eat back your exercise calories either. The "starvation mode" warning only appears when calories consumed are below 1200. Not when net calories are below 1200.)

Just needed to rant. I'm sure there are some that will argue and some that might take offense, but if one person reads this and has a better understanding of what they are doing and how to use the site for their maximum benefit, then my job is done here.

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    here here!
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    awesome post!
  • SlimSadieG
    SlimSadieG Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Go you!
  • mandiberry
    Options
    agreed!
  • julzmamabear
    Options
    Thanks for posting this!!!
  • JRMcCaghren
    Options
    My question is: are you a professional or just throwing out opinion like everyone else?
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be a thread about stopping Insanity workouts!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    My question is: are you a professional or just throwing out opinion like everyone else?

Point taken! But I have learned these things from professionals, as I too, have been misled by others opinions.
  • debydeb57
    Options
    i think my problem is my body is in starvation mode... i have eaten one meal a day for over two years hence the slow metabolism i have.... BUT i am trying this 1200 calories and the weight is not coming off.. it did at the beginning but now its coming back on one pound at a time.. i was up to 5 lbs lost now im down to 1 lb lost... ackkk.. its very frustrating.... how do i get my body to regulate and get out of starvation mode and into regular mode ... anyone with any advice would be greatly appreciated...
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options

This is one of my questions, as well. My other question would be: Are you one of the creators of MFP? I only ask because you make some very definitive statements about the way the site has been designed to work.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    4. You have to eat back your exercise calories because that is how MFP is set up, therefore, it must be right to do that. (MFP is only a guide, a tool, to help each individual structure their own diet/fitness program. There is no right or wrong about eating back exercise calories. MFP is not set up for you to eat back your exercise calories either. The "starvation mode" warning only appears when calories consumed are below 1200. Not when net calories are below 1200.)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

I have always ignored it when people say this! I do not eat my exercise calories back (although sometimes I will eat some of them back IF I am hungry) I listen to my body, if I am hungry.....I Eat! When I exercise, if I struggle then I will eat a little more next time for extra energy! As long as my body feels good and healthy I do not worry about my calories! AND......I am losing weight! :bigsmile:
    I feel the best that I have ever felt in my life and I barely ever go over 1200 calories a day!

Sorry in advance to all you "eat your exercise calories" ppl! :noway:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

This is one of my questions, as well. My other question would be: Are you one of the creators of MFP? I only ask because you make some very definitive statements about the way the site has been designed to work.

No. I'm not a creator of the site. And my post doesn't make a definitive statement about the way the site is designed. I have seen others make definitive statements about the site and my post was meant to debunk that theory.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Thankyou!!! :drinker:
  • sarahi2009
    sarahi2009 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be a thread about stopping Insanity workouts!

I thought the same thing!!...lol
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I apologize to those misled by the title. I would change it if I could. Wasn't thinking at the time. Just frustrated by something I read on the forums.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be about Susan Powter.
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options

Me too....Don't see her enough these days
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

I have always ignored it when people say this! I do not eat my exercise calories back (although sometimes I will eat some of them back IF I am hungry) I listen to my body, if I am hungry.....I Eat! When I exercise, if I struggle then I will eat a little more next time for extra energy! As long as my body feels good and healthy I do not worry about my calories! AND......I am losing weight! :bigsmile:
    I feel the best that I have ever felt in my life and I barely ever go over 1200 calories a day!

Sorry in advance to all you "eat your exercise calories" ppl! :noway:

Thankyou!!! It has been hard for me to eat my calories back because I feel I should have burned those off. Well then I read the newbie please read section and the professional there said YES you have to eat them back. So I was going by what that stated. Going to listen to my body now. :happy:
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options

Me too....Don't see her enough these days

What happened to her?

TO THE INTERNET!
  • sarahi2009
    sarahi2009 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I think ultimately is YOUR body and YOUR journey. I know I do what is best for ME, sure I read post and then do my own research or give my ideas. You will always find 2 sides to the story and you get what you want and you think is best for your goals and your body.