Replies

• Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Who is Susan Powder?
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    or, everyone does what works for them - walah - no more arguments! Ding ding ding! :flowerforyou:
  • ZoeBZJ
    ZoeBZJ Posts: 12
    Options
    I thought this was going to be a thread about stopping Insanity workouts!

me too! LOL
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Awww, don't take all the fun out of it. A day without a "muscle weighs more than fat" argument is like a day without a "can I log anything other than plain water as water" debate.
  • leilani♥
    Options
    or, everyone does what works for them - walah - no more arguments! Ding ding ding! :flowerforyou:

Agreed!! :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be about Susan Powter.

Yeah, me too.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    People really do complicate this stuff wayyyyyy too much.

quit over thinking everything. work out, don't over eat and win.
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Who is Susan Powder?

Really?! Super awesome workout guru from the 80's/90's....like the original Jillian Michaels...same raspy voice and everything!
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Well posted.
    many of the common posts and their answers should be displayed before someone is allowed to post for the first time.

I do have to take exception with 3. HRM's are the most accurate way to determine calories burned.

heart rate is a good estimate of calories burned, it is not 100% accurate, however if it is not the most accurate what is?

just my opinion but my HRM does a good job of telling me if I am putting forth the same or better effort on a given day as well.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Who is Susan Powder?

Susan Powter is a health and fitness and weight loss motivational speaker type. She was big in the 1990s and had a TV show. She is an advocate of clean eating and people pretty much said she was crazy and that her plan wouldn't work.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    People really do complicate this stuff wayyyyyy too much.

quit over thinking everything. work out, don't over eat and win.

I want to put that in my signature. LOL!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more. Matabolisms differ, but everybody is subject to the laws of thermodynamics.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    My question is: are you a professional or just throwing out opinion like everyone else?

Point taken! But I have learned these things from professionals, as I too, have been misled by others opinions.

So since your not a professional this is just your opinion based of what your doctor, trainer or nutritionalist has said? So its quite possible that this misinformation is something someone else's doctors have told them to follow, such as mine.
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    My question is: are you a professional or just throwing out opinion like everyone else?

This is one of my questions, as well. My other question would be: Are you one of the creators of MFP? I only ask because you make some very definitive statements about the way the site has been designed to work.

No. I'm not a creator of the site. And my post doesn't make a definitive statement about the way the site is designed. I have seen others make definitive statements about the site and my post was meant to debunk that theory.

"MFP is not set up for you to eat back your exercise calories either." is a rather definitive statement, in my opinion. My only problem with you stating that, is that it flies directly in the face of this (taken directly from the FAQ's on the Help page here on the site:

"Q. How does MyFitnessPal work?
    A. Using MyFitnessPal is very simple. Here's how our basic process works:

1. Based on your fitness profile, we'll recommend a daily net calorie target for you to achieve your weight loss (or gain) goals.

2. As you eat and exercise throughout the day, you need to log your meals and exercise in our Food and Exercise diaries. MyFitnessPal will calculate the number of calories you've consumed and burned from exercise and let you know how many calories you have left to eat for the day. If you stick within your calorie limits, you should achieve the weight loss you're looking for.

3. The best part of our system is that logging gets easier the more you do it. MyFitnessPal remembers the foods and exercises you like most and makes it easy for you to add those items to your diary. In just a few days, logging can be as fast as 30 seconds — it's literally that easy.

4. Periodically (we recommend once a week), you should weigh yourself and check-in your new weight with the site using our Check-In feature. Checking in your weight allows us to track your progress over time and also adjust your calorie goals to reflect your new weight.

That's it! Just a few minutes a day can show you so much about what you're eating and how that impacts your health."

And it is point number 2 that indicates that MFP was, in fact, set up and designed for you to eat your exercise calories. If that was not the case, the calories burned from exercise would NOT be added to your daily goal calories.

I will not agrue that individuals vary and we all need to find that "sweet spot" that allows us to lose weight in the healthiest way possible (that is, with a moderate calorie deficit that has us losing fat and - hopefully - maintaining lean mass), but to say "eating exercise calories" is a theory that needs to be debunked is irresponsible at best and potentially harmful at worst.
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    4. You have to eat back your exercise calories because that is how MFP is set up, therefore, it must be right to do that. (MFP is only a guide, a tool, to help each individual structure their own diet/fitness program. There is no right or wrong about eating back exercise calories. MFP is not set up for you to eat back your exercise calories either. The "starvation mode" warning only appears when calories consumed are below 1200. Not when net calories are below 1200.)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

I have always ignored it when people say this! I do not eat my exercise calories back (although sometimes I will eat some of them back IF I am hungry) I listen to my body, if I am hungry.....I Eat! When I exercise, if I struggle then I will eat a little more next time for extra energy! As long as my body feels good and healthy I do not worry about my calories! AND......I am losing weight! :bigsmile:
    I feel the best that I have ever felt in my life and I barely ever go over 1200 calories a day!

Sorry in advance to all you "eat your exercise calories" ppl! :noway:

Thankyou!!! It has been hard for me to eat my calories back because I feel I should have burned those off. Well then I read the newbie please read section and the professional there said YES you have to eat them back. So I was going by what that stated. Going to listen to my body now. :happy:

yes. this is the ONLY way i've been able to lose weight
  • gurlondrums
    Options
    I thought this was going to be about Susan Powter.

Me too....Don't see her enough these days

What happened to her?

TO THE INTERNET!

haha I thought it was about Susan Powter too. I still own her "Stop The Insanity!" book. Good times. And the guy who said "who's Susan Powter?" made me giggle. :laugh:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Point taken! But I have learned these things from professionals, as I too, have been misled by others opinions.

So since your not a professional this is just your opinion based of what your doctor, trainer or nutritionalist has said? So its quite possible that this misinformation is something someone else's doctors have told them to follow, such as mine.

If your doctor said it, then follow his/her advice. Not the advice of a faceless stranger on the internet. I'm sorry. Did I not communicate myself well. Because that was my point.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

This is one of my questions, as well. My other question would be: Are you one of the creators of MFP? I only ask because you make some very definitive statements about the way the site has been designed to work.

No. I'm not a creator of the site. And my post doesn't make a definitive statement about the way the site is designed. I have seen others make definitive statements about the site and my post was meant to debunk that theory.

2. As you eat and exercise throughout the day, you need to log your meals and exercise in our Food and Exercise diaries. MyFitnessPal will calculate the number of calories you've consumed and burned from exercise and let you know how many calories you have left to eat for the day. If you stick within your calorie limits, you should achieve the weight loss you're looking for.

Not one part of that sentence implies that you have to eat back calories burned from exercise. That sentence simply state that exercise will increase your goal for the day and that if you do not exceed that goal (with or without exercise) then you will lose weight. Hence, eating back exercise calories is optional and NOT intended by the site.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options

If your doctor said it, then follow his/her advice. Not the advice of a faceless stranger on the internet. I'm sorry. Did I not communicate myself well. Because that was my point.

No worries had no attention of canceling my my next MD appt :). Just trying to point out that this "misinformation" to some people is not "misinformation" to others.

Have a great day!!!
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options

Scholarly peer reviewed journals are the place to get the most accurate information, not tid bits of info that users have heard from professionals. A lot of professionals have conflicting opinions, you can't trust everything someone says just because they have a professional degree. I would not take most things that people have posted in the forums as facts, including this post.