Protein Shakes: What to add to them?

Options
13»

Replies

• neenaj33
    neenaj33 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I found some low carb/ low calorie chocolate milk made by Hood. I mix my protein powder with it!
  • PhilBlock
    PhilBlock Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    the body needs simple carbs after a workout. If you want protein for your workout, eat it before. You should get a 4 to 1 ratios of carbs to protein post workout. simple carbs are best, not complex..it helps spreed muscle repair and reduces soreness. This is a scientifically proven fact.
    I would add in a serving of veggies- like kale or spinach. But I like to think of shakes as an option to boost my veggie intake

Why would you add a complex carb for a post workout shake? You simply want a simple carb to aid in transport of nutrients and replenish glycogen levels.

Good post workout shake and delicious
    - Choc whey
    - Skim Milk
    - Banana
    - Peanut Butter

or I could have a serving of veggies for my overall health?

I would add the veggies to a shake as a snake at another time of day. The beauty of whey protein and having it post workout is that it gets to work quickly on muscle repair. Adding complex carbs slows that process down. So, you could just as easily eat a regular meal (non-shake) if you aren't trying to reap the benefits of whey protein.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    What is a good simple carb?
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    What is a good simple carb?

Honey and bananas are a couple of examples.
  • KokomoJoe
    KokomoJoe Posts: 435
    Options
    I sometimes add hemp protein, raw organic freerange egg, or greens superfood. I love a frozen banana to give it a frosty thick consistency.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Instant coffee or mint extract spice up a chocolate shake.

Or if all else fails 4 ounces of Baileys.