DEFINITELY!!!

Options

Replies

• PBJunkie
    PBJunkie Posts: 652
    Options
    So is it color or colour? How about neighbour or neighbor?

Though I agree spelling can at times be frustrating, but remember it is not everyone's mother tongue...for example I'm actually afrikaans =)

Chill out. She said it was a helpful reminder, not an attack on anyone's intelligence. Now you know.

Your interpretation of my posts is way off.
  • woo1324
    woo1324 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm really thinking that a my fitness pal sister site should be set up , my grammar pal where people who really give a crap about spelling and punctuation can go on and "offer support" with their unworldly spell check skills or get help for misspelling words and not leaving enough spaces.

I’m thinking there could even be a ticker with like 3 days proper punctuation
    Ah who am I kidding I couldn’t give a rats I’m here for fitness not English but hey good luck with that I’m sure it’s a huge help

Sure, it's only important if you actually want to communicate. Otherwise it doesn't matter.

Of course it’s important but the fact is, everyone has a different skill level in all manner of things some people on here maybe great with spelling but some people might not be

Its fine to find it annoying but when it becomes something that puts down and segregates people then i personally think it’s wrong and the fact is i feel like i have to worry more about spelling on here than i do with successful weight loss and that isn’t right not on a fitness site anyway

But just as with any forum people are going too have a cry about a billion different things so I don’t really care that much but still it would be nice to worry more about exercise fitness and nutrition than how people spell
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I'm really thinking that a my fitness pal sister site should be set up , my grammar pal where people who really give a crap about spelling and punctuation can go on and "offer support" with their unworldly spell check skills or get help for misspelling words and not leaving enough spaces.

Ah who am I kidding I couldn’t give a rats I’m here for fitness not English but hey good luck with that I’m sure it’s a huge help

YEAH, because you're only allowed to talk about fitness here.

:laugh:

How about no one ever adheres to any rules of language? YAY! LINGUISTIC CHAOS!
    WOOOT!

• LessOfMePlease
    LessOfMePlease Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Irregardless is, in fact, a word. While it is not as widely acceptable as "regardless," it is still a word!
  • McKayMachina
    Options

Sure, it's only important if you actually want to communicate. Otherwise it doesn't matter.

Of course it’s important but the fact is, everyone has a different skill level in all manner of things some people on here maybe great with spelling but some people might not be

Its fine to find it annoying but when it becomes something that puts down and segregates people then i personally think it’s wrong and the fact is i feel like i have to worry more about spelling on here than i do with successful weight loss and that isn’t right not on a fitness site anyway

But just as with any forum people are going too have a cry about a billion different things so I don’t really care that much but still it would be nice to worry more about exercise fitness and nutrition than how people spell

Wait. Who put down or segregated anyone?

:huh:

I even said it was a PSA. If I'm doing something wrong I like people to tell me so I can correct it. There are other people in the world who appreciate friendly corrections. Plus, we're in the chit-chat section and this post prompted some friendly chit-chat.

Why is there always a party pooper in every thread?
  • woo1324
    woo1324 Posts: 168 Member
    Options

YEAH, because you're only allowed to talk about fitness here.

How about no one ever adheres to any rules of language? YAY! LINGUISTIC CHAOS!
    WOOOT!

You missed the point about people not feeling comfortable to post because their spelling skills may not be up to scratch
    I understand that this site is not just for "fitness" and of course there are going to be oother posts but i feel that when people are making a fitness related post their skills at english shouldnt be attacked
  • CorrieV1976
    CorrieV1976 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Irregardless is, in fact, a word. While it is not as widely acceptable as "regardless," it is still a word!
    I'm sorry I should correct myself, Irregardless is used incorrectly in most cases..... It is a double negative which negates the negative making it a positive.
    Since the prefix ir- means "not" (as it does with irrespective), and the suffix -less means "without", irregardless is a double negative[1] and therefore would have the meaning "in regards to" when that is not the intent.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    My grandmother used to rant against "oftentimes". She insisted it was either sometimes or often. She may have lost that battle.
    I have more trouble with my iPhone auto correcting my text. I sent my hubby the text "I'm in the car now." Before I hit send I noticed my message had been auto-corrected to read, "I'm on the cat now". EEK!
  • McKayMachina
    Options

You missed the point about people not feeling comfortable to post because their spelling skills may not be up to scratch
    I understand that this site is not just for "fitness" and of course there are going to be oother posts but i feel that when people are making a fitness related post their skills at english shouldnt be attacked

That is SO not my problem.

Did I call anyone out in their post? Did I say people ought to feel stupid for misspelling a word? No. Sure didn't.

It's just chit-chat. Please lighten up. ;p
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options

That is SO not my problem.

Did I call anyone out in their post? Did I say people ought to feel stupid for misspelling a word? No. Sure didn't.

It's just chit-chat. Please lighten up. ;p

Ah McKay, you're upsetting people again. Of course, you are right, as usual. You go girl.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Woo still remembers that famous thread...

It was the "STOP EATING BREAKFAST: HERE'S WHY" of the grammar world. :)

And of course, I fully agree McKay :)
  • CorrieV1976
    Options
    My grandmother used to rant against "oftentimes". She insisted it was either sometimes or often. She may have lost that battle.
    I have more trouble with my iPhone auto correcting my text. I sent my hubby the text "I'm in the car now." Before I hit send I noticed my message had been auto-corrected to read, "I'm on the cat now". EEK!
    and what-not ...ugh!! something about that drives me insane...lol
  • PhilipByrne
    Options
    Woo still remembers that famous thread...

It was the "STOP EATING BREAKFAST: HERE'S WHY" of the grammar world. :)

And of course, I fully agree McKay :)

Must check that post out. I notice you're a Pastafarian. I'm very interested in the teachings of the flying spaghetti monster myself. Especially the beer volcano and stripper factory, now that's what I call heaven.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options

Though I agree spelling can at times be frustrating, but remember it is not everyone's mother tongue...for example I'm actually afrikaans =)

Both are correct. Canadian spelling adds a "u".
    And seeing as the little proof reader that lives in my head would have a field day on this post, I'm just going to say "hi, I am Maggie, and I'm a spell-aholic." And now I'm leaving. :-)
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    there is NO LETTER B in supposedly. d'ya hear me, boss???? supposably is NOT A WORD.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I should correct myself, Irregardless is used incorrectly in most cases..... It is a double negative which negates the negative making it a positive.
    Since the prefix ir- means "not" (as it does with irrespective), and the suffix -less means "without", irregardless is a double negative[1] and therefore would have the meaning "in regards to" when that is not the intent.

Err point of order -

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irregardless

It means regardless. It's a non standard word, so it mocks your attempts at deciphering it's double negative into a positive.

And definitely is spelled in whatever manner it takes to get the little wavey red line out from under it when I'm typing. It is hand written as certainly :-)

Carry on.
  • michelle_vankat
    Options
    My pet peeve is "than" and "then"...and "accept" and "except."
    I mentally correct your grammar in my head when you speak to me.:noway:
  • PhilipByrne
    Options
    My pet peeve is "than" and "then"...and "accept" and "except."
    I mentally correct your grammar in my head when you speak to me.:noway:
    I wish I just did it mentally. Unfortunately I correct it verbally, people don't generally like that .
  • CorrieV1976
    Options

Err point of order -

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irregardless

It means regardless. It's a non standard word, so it mocks your attempts at deciphering it's double negative into a positive.

And definitely is spelled in whatever manner it takes to get the little wavey red line out from under it when I'm typing. It is hand written as certainly :-)

Carry on.
    Merriam–Webster even states "Use regardless instead."
    Although irregardless was beginning to make its way into the American lexicon, it still was not universally recognized and was missing completely from Fowler's Modern English Usage,[3] published in 1965, nor is irregardless mentioned under the entry for regardless therein. In the last twenty-five years, irregardless has become a common entry in dictionaries and usage reference books. It appears in a wide range of dictionaries including: Webster's Third New International Dictionary of the English Language Unabridged (1961, repr. 2002),[4] The Barnhart Dictionary of Etymology (1988), The American Heritage Dictionary (Second College Edition, 1991),[5] Microsoft Encarta College Dictionary (2001), and Webster’s New World College Dictionary (Fourth Edition, 2004).[6] It should also be noted that the definition in most dictionaries is simply listed as regardless (along with the note nonstandard, or similar). Merriam–Webster even states "Use regardless instead."

So basically it became a word because so many people used it.
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options

Chill out. She said it was a helpful reminder, not an attack on anyone's intelligence. Now you know.

Your interpretation of my posts is way off.

i thought so too