DEFINITELY!!!

Options

Replies

• tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Irregardless is, in fact, a word. While it is not as widely acceptable as "regardless," it is still a word!
    I'm sorry I should correct myself, Irregardless is used incorrectly in most cases..... It is a double negative which negates the negative making it a positive.
    Since the prefix ir- means "not" (as it does with irrespective), and the suffix -less means "without", irregardless is a double negative[1] and therefore would have the meaning "in regards to" when that is not the intent.

Err point of order -

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irregardless

It means regardless. It's a non standard word, so it mocks your attempts at deciphering it's double negative into a positive.

And definitely is spelled in whatever manner it takes to get the little wavey red line out from under it when I'm typing. It is hand written as certainly :-)

Carry on.
    Merriam–Webster even states "Use regardless instead."
    Although irregardless was beginning to make its way into the American lexicon, it still was not universally recognized and was missing completely from Fowler's Modern English Usage,[3] published in 1965, nor is irregardless mentioned under the entry for regardless therein. In the last twenty-five years, irregardless has become a common entry in dictionaries and usage reference books. It appears in a wide range of dictionaries including: Webster's Third New International Dictionary of the English Language Unabridged (1961, repr. 2002),[4] The Barnhart Dictionary of Etymology (1988), The American Heritage Dictionary (Second College Edition, 1991),[5] Microsoft Encarta College Dictionary (2001), and Webster’s New World College Dictionary (Fourth Edition, 2004).[6] It should also be noted that the definition in most dictionaries is simply listed as regardless (along with the note nonstandard, or similar). Merriam–Webster even states "Use regardless instead."

So basically it became a word because so many people used it.

I didn't say it was the best word, just that it is a word. And in my best Inigo Montoya voice "I do not think that means what you think it means"
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I didn't say it was the best word, just that it is a word. And in my best Inigo Montoya voice "I do not think that means what you think it means"

Yeah but, by that logic, ggD4¢zסּ♫Y is also a word...because I used it.

:laugh:
  • CorrieV1976
    CorrieV1976 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

Love it! :laugh:
  • CorrieV1976
    CorrieV1976 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Irregardless is, in fact, a word. While it is not as widely acceptable as "regardless," it is still a word!
    I'm sorry I should correct myself, Irregardless is used incorrectly in most cases..... It is a double negative which negates the negative making it a positive.
    Since the prefix ir- means "not" (as it does with irrespective), and the suffix -less means "without", irregardless is a double negative[1] and therefore would have the meaning "in regards to" when that is not the intent.

Err point of order -

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irregardless

It means regardless. It's a non standard word, so it mocks your attempts at deciphering it's double negative into a positive.

And definitely is spelled in whatever manner it takes to get the little wavey red line out from under it when I'm typing. It is hand written as certainly :-)

Carry on.
    Merriam–Webster even states "Use regardless instead."
    Although irregardless was beginning to make its way into the American lexicon, it still was not universally recognized and was missing completely from Fowler's Modern English Usage,[3] published in 1965, nor is irregardless mentioned under the entry for regardless therein. In the last twenty-five years, irregardless has become a common entry in dictionaries and usage reference books. It appears in a wide range of dictionaries including: Webster's Third New International Dictionary of the English Language Unabridged (1961, repr. 2002),[4] The Barnhart Dictionary of Etymology (1988), The American Heritage Dictionary (Second College Edition, 1991),[5] Microsoft Encarta College Dictionary (2001), and Webster’s New World College Dictionary (Fourth Edition, 2004).[6] It should also be noted that the definition in most dictionaries is simply listed as regardless (along with the note nonstandard, or similar). Merriam–Webster even states "Use regardless instead."

So basically it became a word because so many people used it.

Well i corrected myself and said - that it is indeed a word , however it is used incorrectly because as you said "I do not think that means what you think it means":laugh:
  • tross0924
    Options

If you can get enough people to follow your example it is, for shizzle. :laugh: I'm totally on bored though - what does ggD4¢zסּ♫Y mean?
  • Froggy1976
    Options
    It's "definitely."

Not definatly, definately, deffinetly or any other bastardization.

The word is made up of the prefix "de," meaning "completely."

The root word is "finite," from the Latin "finitus," past participle of "finire," meaning "to limit, set bounds, end."

That makes it "definitely," meaning "completely precisely".

Don't worry. I ain't mad atchya. :flowerforyou: Just a friendly PSA in the guise of a snarky forum complaint.

::hugs::

I also see people use defiantly instead of definitely too. Makes me giggle a little, thinking of a little kid being defiant about something.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    definitely, your, you're, two, too, to, argh

I think the spell check/grammar plugins should come standard with every browser.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    For me it's ideal instead of idea, as in "I have a great ideal!". Drives me nuts!
  • McKayMachina
    Options

If you can get enough people to follow your example it is, for shizzle. :laugh: I'm totally on bored though - what does ggD4¢zסּ♫Y mean?

It's the adjective for how sensitive your fingertips feel when you accidentally cut your nails too short.

"Oh, man, my pinkie is so ggD4¢zסּ♫Y today!"

• tross0924
    Options

It's the adjective for how sensitive your fingertips feel when you accidentally cut your nails too short.

"Oh, man, my pinkie is so ggD4¢zסּ♫Y today!"

I hate when my pinkie gets all ggD4¢zסּ♫Y! Makes me want to type in all lowercase :happy:
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    So is it color or colour? How about neighbour or neighbor?

Though I agree spelling can at times be frustrating, but remember it is not everyone's mother tongue...for example I'm actually afrikaans =)

Great point.. . .I personally over look gramatical errors or point them out in a kind gentle way as to not hurt someones feelings. . .

I imagine myself in a foreign country trying to spell their words. . I would be flailing just as badly. . . I remember taking spanish in junior high. . I had a lot of difficulty trying to write it. .

Have a wonderful day ya'll . . .
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    QUE????????:tongue:
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options

Though I agree spelling can at times be frustrating, but remember it is not everyone's mother tongue...for example I'm actually afrikaans =)

Chill out. She said it was a helpful reminder, not an attack on anyone's intelligence. Now you know.

Your interpretation of my posts is way off.

I really don't think so. I think your interpretation of my interpretation of your post is off.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    it's called SPELL CHECK... everyone has it on their computer these days
  • McKayMachina
    Options

Chill out. She said it was a helpful reminder, not an attack on anyone's intelligence. Now you know.

I really don't think so. I think your interpretation of my interpretation of your post is off.

This is offensive to interpreters. REPORTED!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Funniest part is that most browsers now have a spell check built-in to check text typed into text boxes.

That little red underline? Means the word's not in the dictionary!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    QUE????????:tongue:
    Mande?!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options

This is offensive to interpreters. REPORTED!

YAY! Thanks, McKay <3
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I say get over it!! No one cares what you think about spelling!! haha I will spell any word however I want to spell it as long as I am not being graded for it or I am not at work.. I can care less. I am a fast typer and when I am done send it goes..
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    I say get over it!! No one cares what you think about spelling!! haha I will spell any word however I want to spell it as long as I am not being graded for it or I am not at work.. I can care less. I am a fast typer and when I am done send it goes..

Facepalm x6