For those that don't eat meat, explain your reasoning

Options

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Savannah, being a vegan/vegetarian doesn't mean that I'm free of hypocrisy, or don't recognize the inherent contradictions posed by simply... LIVING on this planet. It means that I'm making a conscious choice to do LESS damage. It isn't about being perfect and judgmental, it's about being mindful and compassionate. I don't understand why people go right to the "plants are alive too! beer has yeast! You're a hypocrite and therefore i invalidate EVERYTHING you say! HAH!"
    I'm not Savannah and I'm not trying to accuse anyone of being hypocrite, but no one has addressed my question about animals (rodents, birds, etc.) who lose their lives when fields of corn/wheat/soy are planted as compared with, for example, one cow who has grazed on grass his entire life (thus not being fed the aforementioned crops either).
  • anjukins
    anjukins Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    yeah, mono-cropping sucks, and it's totally bad for the environment. So is shipping soybeans halfway across the world. I try to eat as locally and seasonally as possible, from small, sustainable, organic farms, etc. but... like i said. It isn't about being perfect. It's about making decisions that I personally feel are the least damaging, the least detrimental, the least harmful, and the most ethical. That's all.
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    yeah, mono-cropping sucks, and it's totally bad for the environment. So is shipping soybeans halfway across the world. I try to eat as locally and seasonally as possible, from small, sustainable, organic farms, etc. but... like i said. It isn't about being perfect. It's about making decisions that I personally feel are the least damaging, the least detrimental, the least harmful, and the most ethical. That's all.
    Cool. Me too. I believe most everyone on this thread is. I am just bringing it up as I don't know that it is something everyone considers. :happy:
  • KTGator
    KTGator Posts: 78
    Options
    I don't eat meat simply because I don't like the taste or texture. I do, however, eat fish and eggs. Anything on land though has just never appealed to me, and I found myself smothering it in condiments to be able to eat it, which was just so unhealthy that I ultimately decided to cut meat out of my diet instead.
  • anjukins
    anjukins Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Well, if we all did that... I think things would be ok. :)
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    so my final comment, haha, if you know me, maybe it wont be. heres my conclusion. dont shove your beliefs down my throat, because i would never do it to you. i would never tell you what religion, political party, etc. to be so dont do it to me. its my opinion, doesnt make it right, doesnt make it wrong, it just makes it mine. glad that most people on here were very polite and respectful.
  • milanks
    milanks Posts: 122
    Options
    I don't eat meat out of respect for the animals. I don't feel that they are "mine" to eat any more than I would like to be "theirs" to eat. I love being at the top of the food chain, where reason and compassion outweighs primitive impulse, giving me the ability to choose not to eat my finned, feathered, and furry fellow Earthlings.
  • lunchgirlie
    lunchgirlie Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Here's my story. When I was 13 I saw a video about sea turtles getting shot and killed en masse. Since then the thought of eating meat has grossed me out and I haven't since. I just don't want it. I eat eggs and dairy products, I use leather goods, I even eat gelatin. It's not a seriously moral decision for me, I just don't find meat appetizing.

I also never preach to people or judge what they eat. My boyfriend whom I live with is a meat eater and I cook meat for him regularly. I just choose not to eat it myself. Make of that what you will.
  • Babbs1977
    Babbs1977 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    For me it's completely a texture thing. I stopped eating all forms of meat, fish and poultry when I was 5 by my choice...I'm 34 now and I physically can't eat it. I've tried and I can't even chew meat without gagging...I'm sure it's a mental block thing but I have no desire to ever eat it.

That being said, I'm not a PETA freak. I stayed vegetarian through my pregnancy, but my son loves meat and I cook it for my husband and son as much as they want it.
  • ChelsBuch
    ChelsBuch Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you have Netflix, or if you don't I am sure you can watch it somewhere, I strongly advise you to watch Forks Over Knives it tells you a lot about how meat and dairy isn't very healthy for you and eating a vegetarian diet can get rid of diseases etc. :) Here is their website http://www.forksoverknives.com/
  • jen5698
    Options
    I don't eat red meat because I don't like the taste. At the age of 23 I had bowel cancer and tried to really eliminate any highly processed foods and red meats from my diet, and since then I have to say I have developed a dislike for the taste of it! I used to love my steaks, but it seems now that I haven't eaten any for so long that even when I have a bite of someone else's steak it tastes really yuk to me.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    If you're against eating meat because of how the animals are treated, would you consider hunting?

or roadkill,

ive heard of people that will eat meat made from road kill as the animals death was a result of an accident, not the intentional killing for consumption.
    True story, this is how I came by part of my supper yesterday. I hit a pheasant while riding my motorcycle, took it home and cooked it up. Why waste it?
  • lalonmeg000
    lalonmeg000 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I just don't like the taste of meat in general. Beef taste idk...chicken is dry, lamb or dear is too wild...I do eat fish and eggs however. So no save the animal for me, I just don't like how they taste...
  • cathyannemarie
    Options
    I can eat meat if someone else prepares it. If I prepare I can't eat it. I just keep remembering the raw, bloody meat with every bite. Blech...
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I don't have one reason. In a nutshell, I don't like it enough to justify the costs (to the animal, the environment, etc.). It's also dead for who knows how long flesh and that in and of itself bothers me.

I do feel better on a low-carb diet though so that presents a problem. I am currently lacto-ovo so that I can supplement and keep my protein higher and my carbs lower. A vegan diet didn't work for me, although that's how I would prefer to eat.

I watch my use of leather products (definitely won't wear fur or anything) and prefer to buy products that are cruelty free.
  • kkerri
    Options
    Savannah, being a vegan/vegetarian doesn't mean that I'm free of hypocrisy, or don't recognize the inherent contradictions posed by simply... LIVING on this planet. It means that I'm making a conscious choice to do LESS damage. It isn't about being perfect and judgmental, it's about being mindful and compassionate. I don't understand why people go right to the "plants are alive too! beer has yeast! You're a hypocrite and therefore i invalidate EVERYTHING you say! HAH!"
    I'm not Savannah and I'm not trying to accuse anyone of being hypocrite, but no one has addressed my question about animals (rodents, birds, etc.) who lose their lives when fields of corn/wheat/soy are planted as compared with, for example, one cow who has grazed on grass his entire life (thus not being fed the aforementioned crops either).
  • kkerri
    Options
    People still need to eat - I think its a far stretch to compare the harm done by planting crops to the harm inflicted on factory farmed animals.
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    People still need to eat - I think its a far stretch to compare the harm done by planting crops to the harm inflicted on factory farmed animals.
    You're right but, with all respect, I was not comparing it to factory farmed animals.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for almost two years and originally switched my diet because of a family history of heart disease and high cholesterol dad's side and diabetes, high blood pressure, and various endocrine tumors on my mother's side. I am overweight and my mother's family all is, too, because of the endocrine issues. I wanted to bring down my cholesterol, lower my risk for heart disease and diabetes, and hopefully get a jump on losing some weight before any endocrine issues reared their ugly heads.

My dad went from a low fat diet to a vegan diet to lower his exceptionally high cholesterol more than 10 years ago. It is now less than 150. Diet worked in less than six months where medication didn't make a change in over a year. And my dad is a skinny, active guy and always has been. He has improved his health so much just by changing his diet. He is my inspiration.

Now that I have been vegan, I honestly do not think I could go back to my old way of eating. I always had a very healthy "whole foods" approach to eating, but could definitely never eat meat raised commercially again. Just the thought makes me nauseous.

Actually, for YEARS I had been telling my husband that God originally created us to be vegetarians, using Genesis 1:29 29:

Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.
  • kkerri
    Options
    My apologies.

I have no true issue with people eating meat that is not factory farmed. For me personally, there is still blood shed for that meal though. I guess I think the lesser of two evils is the one that doesn't end with blunt trauma to the head or a knife across the throat of the animal :-)