cardio when you hate running

Options
2»

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Walk on a treadmill with the incline jacked up as high as it can go.

I also do an interval program thats on the elliptical and it makes it a lot more fun.

I hate running too and these are my go to cardio options.

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of interval program do you do on the elliptical? I work out at home and the only machine I have is an elliptical. I'd like to do HIIT on it but not exactly sure how to go about it.

The elliptical I use at the gym has a set program for it called 30:30.. but I'll try to explain it to the best of my ability and then if you have questions just message me.

Warm up: 3 minutes at a walking pace(the elliptical says a speed of 40 or less)

Then alternate 30 seconds of sprinting(speed of 50 or higher) with 30 seconds of walking(speed of 40 of or less). Your going to do the alternate of sprinting/walking 5 times(each combo of run/walk counts for one time.)

After the 5th time, your going to once again walk for 3 minutes. Once the 3 minutes is up, then resume with the sprinting/walking 5 more times. Once you finish round 2, you'll walk again for 3 minutes.

Keep repeating that sprint/walk cycle with the 3 minute break until you reach 30 minutes, or however long you want to workout for.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Jump Rope. I go late to the Y and I grab one of the aroebic rooms.(empty at night) Throw pandora on the wall speakers and go to town for 30 min.

I just get odd looks from some members wondering why some middle aged dude is doing a children's activity. haha
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    cycling - find a cycling group near you. they are everywhere. start by checking with a local bike shop. they often sponsor weekly rides. also try google searches, "Your City cycling club/group," for example.

spin class - go to a few and find one you like. they vary widely depending on the instructor.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options

I also do an interval program thats on the elliptical and it makes it a lot more fun.

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of interval program do you do on the elliptical? I work out at home and the only machine I have is an elliptical. I'd like to do HIIT on it but not exactly sure how to go about it.

The elliptical I use at the gym has a set program for it called 30:30.. but I'll try to explain it to the best of my ability and then if you have questions just message me.

Then alternate 30 seconds of sprinting(speed of 50 or higher) with 30 seconds of walking(speed of 40 of or less). Your going to do the alternate of sprinting/walking 5 times(each combo of run/walk counts for one time.)

After the 5th time, your going to once again walk for 3 minutes. Once the 3 minutes is up, then resume with the sprinting/walking 5 more times. Once you finish round 2, you'll walk again for 3 minutes.

Keep repeating that sprint/walk cycle with the 3 minute break until you reach 30 minutes, or however long you want to workout for.

Do you do all of that at the same resistance? Would I stay at level 1 or 2 for the whole time or increase resistance during the sprints and then back down for the walking?
  • dad106
    Options

Do you do all of that at the same resistance? Would I stay at level 1 or 2 for the whole time or increase resistance during the sprints and then back down for the walking?

The sprint resistance level should be higher then the walking resistance level. The elliptical program automatically puts the sprint resistance at 8 and the walk at 1. I personally bump the 8 up to 10 or 12 and leave the walk where it is.

It's easier if you can pre-program and then it just switches... but I don't think it should be that hard to bump between the two. maybe just a little annoying!

What elliptical do you use if you don't mind me asking? The elliptical that I found this program on is from Octane Fitness.
  • idauria
    Options
    My elliptical is made by NordicTrac. It's probably 6 years old. It has pre-programmed stuff but nothing like what you're describing. The resistance goes to 10 but the most I can do is 4 or 5 and not for long. I did a modified version of your plan after my weight routine just a little while ago. I kept the resistance at 1 and alternated 30 second sprints with 30 second walks. I did that once then did regular walking but I increased the resistance and then I went back down to 1 and repeated the intervals once more. It totaled 20 mins. I would have liked to do more but my body was fizzling out.
  • dad106
    Options
    My elliptical is made by NordicTrac. It's probably 6 years old. It has pre-programmed stuff but nothing like what you're describing. The resistance goes to 10 but the most I can do is 4 or 5 and not for long. I did a modified version of your plan after my weight routine just a little while ago. I kept the resistance at 1 and alternated 30 second sprints with 30 second walks. I did that once then did regular walking but I increased the resistance and then I went back down to 1 and repeated the intervals once more. It totaled 20 mins. I would have liked to do more but my body was fizzling out.

Yea, I mean you need to do what works for you. The more you do it, the easier it will become. When it does get easier, you can either bump the resistance up or go for a longer amount of time.
  • idauria
    Options
    Thanks! I really appreciate your help!