Too Detailed?

Options
I have recently noticed that very view diaries I look at log any drinks (other than fitness/protein shakes, etc.). Is this the norm, or do most people just stick with water all day? I tend to log every little thing I take in during the day, including liquids---OJ, milk (for cereal), etc.

Is it possible I'm getting too detailed with my logging? For example, if I have garlic bread I will log the bread, margarine and garlic separately, as opposed to simply looking up "garlic bread". Same goes for toast and margarine, as opposed to "buttered toast", etc.

Am I splitting hairs here? I want to make sure I'm keeping an accurate log, but nor do I want to feel as though I'm micro-managing my diet.....

Thanks for the input!

Replies

• ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I log everything, but I almost always only drink water. Rare occasion i will have a soda but I log it. I even log the crystal light packets I use in my water when I use them.
  • rhonda999
    rhonda999 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I mostly drink water. Once a day i may have a diet soda, but i do not log it.
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    i do the same. I don't always log my diet pepsi b/c its calorie free. Unless I buy a brand of garlic bread/sandwich, then i log it all seperately too. Each person is different though. If you want the most accurate calorie count, keep doing what you are doing. If you want a general number, go for the generic.
  • smiley01x
    smiley01x Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I log everything also, I only drink water or coffee and I add my milk separately.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    If it goes in my mouth it's in my log. You can't hide it from you *kitten*.
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I log everything for the most part but somedays I'm lazy and just go with what is available to preselect. I drink mostly water and coffee..
  • KRB28
    KRB28 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I usually always log everything. I only drink water, but I did have a diet coke the other day and I did log it even though everything was 0. But when I make chicken parm, I log every item seperately. Because you don't really know what the one on the food list has in it, your version could be healthier. I think you are doing it right :)
  • OrabGirl
    Options
    I log everything. Even my water.
    I am trying to pay better attention to my sodium intake.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have recently noticed that very view diaries I look at log any drinks (other than fitness/protein shakes, etc.). Is this the norm, or do most people just stick with water all day? I tend to log every little thing I take in during the day, including liquids---OJ, milk (for cereal), etc.

Is it possible I'm getting too detailed with my logging? For example, if I have garlic bread I will log the bread, margarine and garlic separately, as opposed to simply looking up "garlic bread". Same goes for toast and margarine, as opposed to "buttered toast", etc.

Am I splitting hairs here? I want to make sure I'm keeping an accurate log, but nor do I want to feel as though I'm micro-managing my diet.....

Thanks for the input!

To be honest i dont log all the liquids i drink, but then the majority is water anyway.

as for the food, if it was shop bought garlic bread, i just log it as that. if it was garlic bread made from scratch at home then i would do as u said and log individual ingredients.
  • awkwwward
    Options
    Your log, your life. If you want to log those things - go ahead. It'll probably help you out in the long run. I'm a 98% of the time water drinker so I don't log that. I also don't log my morning coffee. I'll only log something liquid if it has cals to it (a latte or fruit juice, for example).
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I log the milk in my coffee, but I don't log the diet soda or unsweetened tea I drink for lunch. I do log my alcoholic drinks, though. I don't log mustard or ketchup, but I do log mayonnaise.

For your example of garlic bread, I would log the bread and butter, but not the garlic.

I don't want to become to obsessive about things since I plan on living this way for the rest of my life.
  • uubulldawg06
    uubulldawg06 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    if i drink anything other thatn water i log it. if i use any crystal light or special k packets for my water i log that as well. i am like you i log individual ingredients as well, to be more accurate. people make things so many different ways that it can alter the counts drastically.
  • Alibobba
    Options
    Thank you to all!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I don't tend to drink much outside of water and coffee. I do drink fresh squeezed juice that I make at home. For that, I just log the individual fruits and veggies that I put into it.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

Thanks for the input!
    Nope I think you're doing well, not too detailed at all! I think many that are successful at taking off the weight and keeping it off are diligent about logging every bite. For myself it helps me keep aware of what I might otherwise be eating mindlessly.

Keep it up, you're doing great Hon!:flowerforyou:
  • awkwwward
    Options

Thanks for the input!

To be honest i dont log all the liquids i drink, but then the majority is water anyway.

as for the food, if it was shop bought garlic bread, i just log it as that. if it was garlic bread made from scratch at home then i would do as u said and log individual ingredients.
    I agree with this. If I buy 365 bread, for example, and but cream cheese on it...I'm log 365 bread and cream cheese separately. If I fresh made the bread, I'll add it as a recipe and log that.
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Certainly easier to log them together but I think whatever works for you is what works for you. As far as drinks are concerned, I just drink water and coffee so I don't log drinks. If I drink a soda, on rare occassion, I do log it.
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    I'm with you on this one! I log EVERYTHING! It makes me feel like I am being 100% honest to myself, and I am happy to be able to look back and see what I did/didn't eat with weight fluctuation. I figure if you are gonna do it, may as well do it right! ;)

Completely personal preference though!

In my opinion, if what you are doing is working, and you do not mind it, then keep going!! :)
  • Skinnymomma11
    Options
    I log in EVERYTHING i put in my mouth. It's really help me control the calories. If I dont log some of it, then my scale will tell me the differences, so it's best to log everything even little thing, such as spices and etc, cuz they do have some calories or carb or sugar or whatsoever.. but it's best... It may sound like to much, but you are doing your body a favor!
    Keep you what you are doing! You are in same shoe I am in! :):happy:
  • Sepheara
    Sepheara Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I try to log everything even diet soda because even if it has 0 calories like water it still has Sugars and things in it. Also how do I know if "buttered toast" in the system is using the same bread and butter that I am using? I think it's fine to log everything if you want to be accurate :)