what would you guys do?

Options

Replies

• 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Priorities! I agree with everyone saying to eat one, save one, and work your butt off. Your children are a gift. Anything you can do to help them grow into confident, productive adults is good. Eat it, enjoy it, and make sure she knows how special she is and how special she made you feel by baking a couple just for you!
  • la_nanita
    la_nanita Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    eat one, factor into your caolries for the day, save one for tomorrow, factor into calories, and next time bake with her and show her healthy recipes?

I agree!
    Agree

I too agree with this idea or I would cut both in half take half of each and give her the other 2 halves and tell her it would make them even more special if she shared them with you.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    This is why I'm not a parent...well, one of the reasons, anyway
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    rave and rave and make a big deal and take a little taste in front of her. Tell her you want to 'save' them for later and then throw them away!

Throw them away?!

Shame on you.

I could never throw away a cupcake my sweet 5 year old had made. It would just break my heart!!
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options

Agree....but I do want a cupcake now
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options

I'd have kids if all they'd do is bake me treats and get me beer. I'd eventually teach them how to grill and fry things as well. Alas... I don't think you can have children for only such reasons.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of sitting down and sharing it with her telling her it would be more special if she sat with me to eat them. I also agree on showing her a healthier version this will not only be good for you but also for her to learn to make things healthier for herself. How sweet mine is 2yrs old.
  • Mios3
    Mios3 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Eat them and compliment her. Then work your butt off in the gym.
    Seconded

agree

agree as well

yep this
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    My 11 year old is learning how to bake. I came home from work and was greeted by her beautiful smiling face that just SCREAMED of accomplishment . She grabbed me by the hand and lead me to the kitchen and there in front of me was at least a dozen intricately decorated cupcakes.. She pointed to 2 of them off by themselves and said "I made these ones special for YOU "

Not wanting to ruin the moment I smiled , ate them and raved for the next 20 mins on how they were the best cupcakes i HAVE EVER HAD, how she must have worked sooo hard on them, how proud of herself she must be , etc. As im walking off to my room to get the shorts and tshrt on my 1:1 with "Dr Treadmill" she says..."Im gonna make a cake tommorrow" (sigh)

I guess the extra mins on treadmill are nothing compared to seeing her light up as I complimented her baking but if this keeps up I not sure what Im going to do LOL

And this is why fathers have beer guts ;)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'd have kids if all they'd do is bake me treats and get me beer. I'd eventually teach them how to grill and fry things as well. Alas... I don't think you can have children for only such reasons.
    They frown on that....
  • quigonnjae
    Options
    what kind of monster are you that you wouldn't eat your daughters specially made cupcake???

I DID eat one raved over how good it was... I accidentally posted before I was finished writing.. read the rest
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If my 3 and 5 year old made something special like that for me, I would eat it, regardless of calories and taste and rave on and on about how great it is and make it a special event for them too. Even if it is enough calories to ruin my entire weight loss. I will not lose special moments like this with my kids. I can always lose more weight later. I can't get these moments back.
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    They frown on that....

Because they didn't think of it first.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Have you shared much about your health improving (weight loss) efforts with her? If not, sounds like this might be the perfect time. It's not necessary to reject her special treats, but you can bring up how treats are for special occassions and one per day is enough. And if she tries to serve you a huge piece of cake, tell her you want to share (like other suggested with the cupcakes) or a smaller portion would be better because Daddy's full (or whatever) and keep gushing about how wondeful she is.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Why not go with her to a bookstore and pick out a couple of kid-friendly, healthy-eating-type cookbooks? She still gets to make stuff for you and you don't feel bad about eating it. Win-win. In the meantime, though, yeah - eat at least one of what she makes. Maybe followed by "OMG, these are AMAZING! Can I bring them to work and show them off?" or something like that.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    They frown on that....

Because they didn't think of it first.

Mine have been trained to bring me beer at the ring of a bell (iPhone app) from about age 4. (8 & 12 now) They are learning to cook, and while it isn't always the best, it's made with love. And a fair amount of dirt from the floor.
    Just factor the calories into your day. It's easier and cheaper than the therapy you will both need if they catch you throwing something out. Good luck!!
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    hehe that's cute...but I see where you're coming from.

I think the cook book sounds awesome ALSO unsweetened apple sauce can be used instead of oil and measures the same. Egg white instead of the whole egg, wheat flour instead of white and splenda instead of sugar
    Calories Cut
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    God bless her little heart! :smile: Enjoy the treats and do some extra exercises then provide her with and encourage her to use healthy recipes. Explain to her that you're trying to lose weight and when she uses the healthy recipes it allows you to enjoy the treats she makes but won't sabotage your weight loss.

Also you can take the treats to work and share with your co-workers.
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Eat them and compliment her. Then work your butt off in the gym.
    Seconded

agree

agree as well

yep this

Yep!!!
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Of course if this is the first time she baked for you, you really don't have a choice but to eat them. Which is definitely the right thing to do. That being said, my daughter is well aware of my fitness goals. She is sad that I no longer have a belly for her to bounce on, but she knows it is important for me to be healthy. There have been times I had to tell her no thank you. Now she shares smaller portions of her treats, which really do not have a big impact on my food diary. It is definitely a win win.