When did you (or your child) stop believing in Santa

Options
cabaray
cabaray Posts: 971 Member
Last night, my almost 10 year old's DSI broke. It was a gift from Santa last year. She still believes in Santa. I know she's not faking because she was totally upset. She wrote a letter to Santa saying she hoped he wasn't mad at her for breaking it (she didn't even break it, the screen stopped working). My oldest was barely 9 when she realized it was Mom and Dad. Now my 10 year old is in 4th grade and they no longer write letters to Santa at school. She also got into an argument at school last year with another kid about it. I really want to keep the magic alive for her, but I'm afraid that she might get ridiculed at school now. Kids are soooo mean. What do you think?

Replies

• Krull_the_WarriorKing
    Options
    What do you mean stop believing? He's going to come unless you're bad. Belief has nothing to do with it. Personally I try to sat on the good list but it never works. that's why he doesn't come to my house.
  • cabaray
    Options
    See, now I've ruined the magic for others. I'm such a buzz kill! I must be bad too because I never get anything either. Well, that or I have a crappy husband.....
  • Wileyjoe
    Wileyjoe Posts: 282
    Options
    *fingers in ears* (ummm eyes) LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    My son doesn't even know who Santa is yet but this happened to a coworker. Her 11 yo son still believed in Santa and she decided to tell him the truth for the same reasons as you. She told me later she regretted it because he was very upset afterwards and even said to his parents he would have preferred they didn't say anything. But, yeah, one kid is not the other so that might not be the case for your daughter!
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    You're heartless cabaray, I haychu. :sad:
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    REPORTED!!!
    I also just wrote to santa to bring you coal... Santa's toys don't come with a warentee or service plan.:brokenheart:
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    What do you mean there isn't a Santa? My mommy, I mean Santa, still signs his name on my presents under the tree! Your daughter is old enough that you can teach her the spirit of Santa, that there have been many real-life Santa's that have done wonderful things for children.
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Unwrapping_Candy Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!! WHY WOULD YOU SAY THAT? HE'S REAL! Just like Zeus and unicorns!
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTrILkrrgYdbX25QeO6zM7tuia74Lq1xiSL-a3myLChXpyqO0mtK4nfPqsR
  • trwilcox
    Options
    hi
  • trwilcox
    Options
    FOR THOSE WHO STILL BELIEVE IN SANTA DON'T READ THIS NEXT POST!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! i quit when i was 6 and found the box a toy came in (from santa) in my parents bedroom
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    When I found the presents that I had asked Santa for before Christmas! :frown:
  • STARSHINE1975
    Options
    My daughter was 10 and her 12 yr old cousin kept telling her it was me. When they both came up to me and she said "Joey says that you are Santa, Is that true?" I told her she can believe what she wants, but it seemed to me that getting presents from both me and Santa seemed like a better deal than just getting them from me. I then asked if Joey got presents from both Santa and his parents? or just his parents? He went and told his dad that he wanted Santa to come back to their house. =)

She officially figured it out the next year when she went snooping and found "Santa's" presents hidden. But she's a smart girl and never said anything.
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    in my family, it wasn't a big deal to not believe in santa, so I didn't, really. However, one Christmas Eve, my brother and i were trying to stay awake to sneak down and look at presents after my parents were done putting them under the tree. Darn if we didn't hear bells on the roof!!! to this day, I'm still not sure....HA!
  • cabaray
    Options
    @skittybang
    I was just kidding...there is a Santa (I used that excuse when I slipped up about tooth fairy last year).
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    :laugh: You ruined Christmas!

My oldest figured it out when she was 7. Then she made the giant leap to toothfairy, easter bunny, etc... She criiiiiiiied. So sad!
  • FitnessElle
    Options
    How dare you imply that he isn't real! :sad:
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I was never taught to believe in santa, we were told the story of santa and what he represents . My best friend believed in santa til she was 11 , unfortunately I ruined it for her lol she was talking about santa near x-mas one year and I started laughing at her, she asked why i was laughing and I was like, " u srsly still believe in santa?!" she's like " umm duh! where do u think all those presents come from!?" and of course then I broke the news to her. Her mom was very upset with me and didn't let her talk to me for a week after that lol. We tell our kids about santa but I dont think my 6 yr old actually believes in him, he us gives us a "yea right" look. Too smart for his own good lol
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    ::Blink::

Wait....What?? No Santa????? You might as well say there are no Faeries!!!! :sad: :sad:
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    My daughter was 10 and her 12 yr old cousin kept telling her it was me. When they both came up to me and she said "Joey says that you are Santa, Is that true?" I told her she can believe what she wants, but it seemed to me that getting presents from both me and Santa seemed like a better deal than just getting them from me. I then asked if Joey got presents from both Santa and his parents? or just his parents? He went and told his dad that he wanted Santa to come back to their house. =)

She officially figured it out the next year when she went snooping and found "Santa's" presents hidden. But she's a smart girl and never said anything.

My kids get presents from both me & Santa too :bigsmile:
  • crazytxmom
    crazytxmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My girls are 9 (4th grade) & 11 (6th grade). Neither has openly admited to not believing anymore. If they were to ask, I think they're old enough that I would let them "in on the secret," but I'm not volunteering anything.