When did you (or your child) stop believing in Santa

Options

Replies

• cmiles23
    cmiles23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    MY DAUGHTER IS 7 SHE INFORMED ME A FEW WEEKS AGO " I KNOW YOU ARE THE TOOTH FAIRY AND DAD IS SANTA" LOL, SHE THEN TOLD HER 6 YR OLD BROTHER, HE ASKED ME IF SANTA WAS REAL AND I SAID " YES, WHY" AND HE CALLED ME A LIAR....... AND MY RESPONSE WAS GOOD NOW THAT WE HAVE THAT ALL IN THE OPEN YOU WONT WONDER WHY "SANTA" IS SO BROKE THIS YEAR HAHAHAHA THEY SAID THATS OKAY!
  • agwilker
    agwilker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My mom didn't tell me until I was 12. Up until then I thought him not being real was a rumor. I had Santa's back. Can't say the same for Santa.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Well, last year there was a storm Christmas Eve night. She heard a branch hit the roof. It just so happens we live across the road from a cell phone tower which has a blinking red light on top. She saw a reflection from the light on our propane tank. So, it was obviously Santa and Rudolph on the roof. I think Santa's going to be visiting her college dorm after that!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I think I was about 7...

In my house, the gifts from Santa weren't wrapped. They were placed under the tree, fully assembled if necessary. A few months after Christmas, I found the box that my doll from Santa had come in, in the guest room closet, kind of tucked away. I was suspicious. I'd heard rumors at school. I confronted my mother. I was quite hostile. I just said, "tell me he isn't real! just tell me!" She paused and then said, "You're right. He isn't real." I was fully expecting her to say, "No Carol, of course he's real, silly girl." And for her to have some brilliant explanation as to why the box was in the closet. When she didn't, I was devastated. I burst into tears and than asked, "Does that mean the tooth fairy and easter bunny aren't real, either?" It was a crushing day....
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I think I was about 5. I pretended to believe for a few years after that because I was sure I would get more presents that way.
  • foxiedee
    foxiedee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I believed until I was ten, even tho in my heart I had my doubts. (I saw the "tooth fairy" which made me wonder about Santa and the Easter Bunny!) I can remember my eight year old sister telling my Mom that she didn't believe, so my Mom decided it was time to tell me. For a while I felt that my sister had spoiled it for me.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I was probably 9 when I found "Santa gifts" hidden before Christmas. Our children range in ages 24-9, so I'm sure they've dutifully informed one another. My husband and I just say, "The person who leaves you gifts under the tree is your Santa".
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    My daughter figured it out in second grade and failed to let us in on that realization. Just a few months ago she admitted to milking us for all it's worth.

Watch out for those kids. They're scheming little *kitten*!
  • cdngrl81
    cdngrl81 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I was 10 when I saw a present from Santa in the trunk of our car, but I keep believing. Santa still brings me presents every year. And I am so special that the reindeer, elves and even Mrs. Claus usually drop off a couple of gifts too.
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    When I asked my mom about it (4th or 5th grade probably) she gave me the best answer. She said there was such thing as Santa Clause and in honor of him and all the good he did, we continue to celebrate him and give gifts to one another. And so while there was such thing as Santa Clause at one time (he was a real person), mom and dad were the ones who bought the gifts now and signed the cards. I cried but I thought it was a beautiful way to put it. I'm 27 years old and I still get upset when my parents sign the card "mom and dad" rather than "Santa". We still bake xmas cookies to leave out for "Santa". When you tell your child, I'd just remind them of the spirit of xmas and tell them to hold on to that rather than the face of xmas.
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    My 11 year old was pretty suspicious last year and kept telling me Santa wasn't real, but for some reason he still believed in the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy! I'm pretty sure now that he's in 6th grade he will figure it out. through friends and older kids. I just hope he doesn't ruin it for his little sister! She still has 2 -3 good years of beleiving left in her!
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My kids have always been told that Santa is the special Christmas Spirit that makes magic happen. Some people believe in Santa (I do) and some people don't. As long as you believe in Santa, then Santa is real. Some people like to think that Santa is an actual person (and that's okay, if they do), but I think that Santa is better than a real person ... Santa is magic. And the wonderful thing about Santa is that people who believe in Santa can help to make Santa bigger and stronger by being Santa for others. And when a lot of people all channel Santa's spirit, that makes Santa real and that's when Christmas magic happens.

Not sure if that helps or answers your question ... but I still believe in Santa and so do my teenagers. It's just that our Santa isn't a jolly old elf in a red suit who lives at the north pole.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    My kids are 12 and 15..and even though they dont write to Santa....he still brings gifts. Its as much fun for the parents as for the kids...I dont think you should tell your child..let them figure it out on their own. Its as if they dont want to stop..because then the gifst may stop.

Even my hubby and I get gifts from Santa..
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Yeah, when I was six my older brothers told me to stop being such a baby, there's no Santa Claus. I was all torn up about it.
  • SuzMac1981
    SuzMac1981 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I was in 4th grade and 9 years old when my mom broke it to me that there was no Santa, tooth fairy, or Easter Bunny. I don't even know what prompted her to come out with it but I was so upset that I cried myself to sleep that night. I was devastated because I really believed in the magic of Santa. I was a naive and innocent child so she really could have kept up the "secret" for a few more years. I was the oldest, too, so she really could have waited until my sister was 9 or 10 and I would have happily kept on believing!
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    My older sister was a brat, she told me when I was 5.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I think I was about 5. I pretended to believe for a few years after that because I was sure I would get more presents that way.

Ditto. My sisters were both older, they confirmed my suspicions but we all agreed to continue in the hope that we'd get more gifts.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Child please....go look at my photos...I was just chilling with the man last weekend
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I personally never believed in Santa, or the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, etc....I don't know. I was always a realist, even when I was little. I questioned everything about his capabilities, and the fact that it was magic that he was supposedly doing.

That being said, I know its mean, but I was that kid that would ridicule anyone that believed. I remember being in kindergarten and getting sent to the principal for telling a kid that his mother was a liar because Santa was a figment of imagination.
  • mjbrowne
    mjbrowne Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I was in 4th grade when my dog pulled a Barbie Bedrrom suite box out of the trash. I had just gotten it from Santa, fully assembled, of course. That's when I found out. My daughter (now 15) was about 10 or 11 when kids at school started teasing her and she asked me. I wasn't going to lie to her, so I told the truth. My step-daughter was about 8 when she asked my husband (again heard rumors at school). He can't lie to save his life..he just grinned, so she knew. My son is 7 and will probably believe for 4 or 5 more years..he believes in Peter Pan, too! ;)
    When my daughter asked me, I told her that I did buy the Santa gifts. But the spirit of Santa lives on in all who believe that Jesus was a gift to us..and we should give to others out of love. I also told her that St Nick was real way back when..and he could POSSIBLY live in North Pole..and all of us can be Santa's helpers by giving freely to others.
    I will not tell my son about Santa, tooth fairy, Easter Bunny, etc until he repeatedly asks me and seems doubtful. He did ask about tooth fairy..is she real? have I seen her? I told him I believe she's real; I"ve never seen her; but she'll only be real as long as he believes. That was my standard answer to my daughter as she grew up.. "as long as you believe" Good luck!