Cheaters never win? What do you think?

Options
13»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,719 Member
    Options

I enjoyed the road as much as I've enjoyed the results. Having that instant gratification removes the satisfaction of having put in the hard work to get here, the hours of trying to understand the balance of my body has taught me patience and lessons about myself that I wouldn't have learned otherwise. The gradual melting away of the jagged edges of my psyche while I melted away the pounds and the ever decreasing pant sizes to go along with both. No, I wouldn't give that up, I still relish my workouts. My exercise routine gives me something to look forward to at the end of the day that is purely about me instead of doing something in support of my household, which when you are an aerobics instructor can become a fine line, reminding myself that the dishes will still be there and can wait until I've sweated out the day. Nope, absolutely not.
    I am also with you here. I busted my *kitten* to get to where I'm at now, and fully enjoyed doing it. For me it helped to shape me not only physically, but mentally as well. I've carried the same discipline to my work, my life and free time.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

I COULD sport a bikini now, others may not appreciate it yet (LOL). To be cheating, there has to be some sort of a negative somewhere. I think it would be a huge psychological issue to transform from 200+ pounds to 130 in a week. My brain would not be able to handle it and it would require a lot of therapy and adjustment. 20 pounds? Maybe. That doesn't change me into a completely different person.
    Okay, so let's make that the NEGATIVE. You get the body you want now, BUT you have to eat the correct way to keep it or you gain all the weight back. Alright new hypothetical.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options

.....so your saying there isn't any negative consequences to actions like that? Even if they got away with it, how about those who were scammed? There are definitely always negative effects when someone cheats.

If eating nothing but cakes cakes and ice cream and doing nothing but playing video games all day had no negative effects on our health or the health of those around us....then they wouldn't be unhealthy anymore and doing it wouldn't be cheating. Just sayin.

**That said, if I could do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted without any negative effects to myself or those around me.....yes, I'd do it. I wouldn't feel that was cheating though.
    No I was saying the "cheaters" weren't affected. They made out good. And are still making out good.

Maybe, maybe not. People do carry emotional burdens when they lie, cheat and they cause harm to others.

......that's besides the point though. You are totally confusing me now. Are you saying that our decision would or would not have any negative effects on our health and the health of those around us or not?
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I already have, I know how to cut weight and I've done it before. I lost almost 70 pounds in three months on the 'eat almost exclusively yogurt and workout like crazy' diet. I looked good at the end of it too...when I came off the diet though I gained over 90 pounds in about 5 months. 20+ pounds and the wear and tear on my body was a pretty stiff price to pay.

All short cuts have consequences of some kind, if not to you than to others. If they didn't it wouldn't be a short cut, it would be the way. So if you're asking would I not diet if eating cake and playing video games all day was a safe and healthy way to lose weight, I'd say no, I would still diet--the cake n' video games diet!

If you're asking would I cut weight like I did in the past with the consequences, the answer is maybe. There are certain things for which I think the consequences are worthwhile. If I'm not able to meet my weight loss goals, and honestly probably even if I am, I most certainly will be cutting weight leading up to my wedding. I'll take the hit on my body to make sure I look as fit as I possibly can for my future wife on our wedding day. If I start competing in martial arts competitively again, probably. I'm extremely competitive, and I play to win. Beyond that? Would I do it just in general because it's...you know...a Wednesday? Probably not. It's not sustainable and it isn't worth it.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

I COULD sport a bikini now, others may not appreciate it yet (LOL). To be cheating, there has to be some sort of a negative somewhere. I think it would be a huge psychological issue to transform from 200+ pounds to 130 in a week. My brain would not be able to handle it and it would require a lot of therapy and adjustment. 20 pounds? Maybe. That doesn't change me into a completely different person.
    Okay, so let's make that the NEGATIVE. You get the body you want now, BUT you have to eat the correct way to keep it or you gain all the weight back. Alright new hypothetical.

Nope, but you are a great salesman! I had a great body at one time. I used to run, lift weights, play basketball, you name it. I was super healthy and in great shape. I could wear whatever I wanted. I thought I was fat. My mind couldn't appreciate what I really had. I am working now to get the body I want. Each success gives me a sense of accomplishment. I have a pile of clothes already that I can no longer wear. I did it. The only way that I could see saying yes to this hypothetical is if there was an immediate health reason caused by my current weight that would make it so I could not take the time to work it off. Then I could. It would be life saving.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    And for the 'no negative effects to you but potential negative effects to others'...well how much do I like the guy? ;)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Maybe, maybe not. People do carry emotional burdens when they lie, cheat and they cause harm to others.

......that's besides the point though. You are totally confusing me now. Are you saying that our decision would or would not have any negative effects on our health and the health of those around us or not?
    Well the new add on is that you have to conform to eating correctly to maintain the body or you gain all the weight back.
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options

Well the new add on is that you have to conform to eating correctly to maintain the body or you gain all the weight back.

Still wouldn't do it. I don't know many people that if all of a sudden they were exactly where they wanted to be, but had to eat healthy and exercise to maintain could do it. If they knew how to do it already wouldn't need to cheat then, they would already be there.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options

ahhh I see I see. Yes, I'd still do it. I'd keep it up for sure though.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Depends-- if there were no consequences I'd totally do it. I'm not a goal oriented or competitive person. I hate to exercise. If I could just not do exercise that'd be awesome to me. I do enjoy the healthier eater so I would probably keep that.

But if it's like having a genie (you wish for a new car so your parents die and you inherit theirs) with some kind of unintended consequences or bad side then no.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I would do that in a heartbeat. :P
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    They may be rich but they're morally bankrupt and honestly i'd rather be poor than morally bankrupt.

No i wouldn't cheat. Cheating always has bad side effects, no matter what it is you're cheating at.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Slight hijack of the thread because I think it's related and am honestly curious (and also because I'm far too lazy to create my own post)

A person once asked me this and it REALLY stuck with me. Thinking about it is one of the primary reasons I chose to change my lifestyle habits from my more extreme tendencies to one that is more balanced and sustainable.

Would you rather weigh 150 pounds but look like you weigh 300 or weigh 300 pounds but look like you weight 150.

To be specific, the numbers aren't important, but would you want to have a healthy, functioning body and enjoy all of the long term life benefits tied with that but at the same time look morbidly obese. Or would you rather look fit and slender but actually be unhealthy and have to deal with the health consequences. And this is not like on the brink of death or anything. I'm nearly 300 pounds myself. According to the doctor, all things considered, I'm pretty healthy. I do have lower back pain though, I have to worry about things like diabetes and such as well. Those kinds of health consequences, where the answer isn't quite as obvious or is a long way away..

When I answered honestly, it was the latter, because I did care what people thought of me. Was an eye-opener for me at least.

So would you rather cheat and be unhealthy, or do it right and not look like you've gotten anywhere?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Slight hijack of the thread because I think it's related and am honestly curious (and also because I'm far too lazy to create my own post)

A person once asked me this and it REALLY stuck with me. Thinking about it is one of the primary reasons I chose to change my lifestyle habits from my more extreme tendencies to one that is more balanced and sustainable.

Would you rather weigh 150 pounds but look like you weigh 300 or weigh 300 pounds but look like you weight 150.

To be specific, the numbers aren't important, but would you want to have a healthy, functioning body and enjoy all of the long term life benefits tied with that but at the same time look morbidly obese. Or would you rather look fit and slender but actually be unhealthy and have to deal with the health consequences. And this is not like on the brink of death or anything. I'm nearly 300 pounds myself. According to the doctor, all things considered, I'm pretty healthy. I do have lower back pain though, I have to worry about things like diabetes and such as well. Those kinds of health consequences, where the answer isn't quite as obvious or is a long way away..

When I answered honestly, it was the latter, because I did care what people thought of me. Was an eye-opener for me at least.

So would you rather cheat and be unhealthy, or do it right and not look like you've gotten anywhere?
    There are lots of people that I know who are of normal weight yet suffer from some malady. One has fibro and another diabetes.
    I'd always choose health over looks.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

I would rather be healthy.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    No surgery or physical complications. You just get to have the body you want. So would you cheat?
    That's the only kind of cheating I can think of. There are pros and cons to all other methods, but nothing is cheating, short of surgery (I'm not referring to bariatric surgery, but liposuction). If I could take a pill and maintain attain health and a healthy weight, I would. I would almost consider it irresponsible not to, at least until I was down to a maintenance weight.

Not to be a stick in the mud, but I have a hard time comparing this to the sports examples. Those cheaters are not winners, they are merely trophy stands.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Well, how about this... If someone walked up to me now, and gave me a million dollars, would I take it? Is it immoral to take it, knowing that I could decline, work my butt off, and possibly eventually earn some money? I don't know why it would be. Unless it was stolen or hurt someone in some way, it would nit be immoral to take the money (or, as it were) the hot, healthy body.