MeagAlayne's Signature Protein Brownies

Options
meagalayne
meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
By request from my MFPals...

**Disclaimers
1) These do not taste like sweet dessert brownies. They are crumble-y, chocolate-y goodness with a jolt of protein. If you want a rich, creamy, dreamy dessert, look elsewhere. These bad boys are way too healthy to taste that good :wink:
2) This recipe is made to my own tastes. I eat my yogurt plain, my oats without any sweetener, and I can't stand the taste of soda. Be warned. There is absolutely nothing sweet about these. If you like - add some sweetener, honey, maple syrup, sugar, whatever you want. Totally up to you!

2011-01-26085213.jpg

Protein Brownies (adapted from
For 6 brownies, approx 148 calories each, 18g protein (depends on your whey isolate stats, dairy stats, etc...)

Line the bottom of a 9x5 loaf pan with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 325F.
In a medium sized food processor bowl combine the following:

1 cup large flake oats (100g)
1/2 cup 1-2% cottage cheese
1/2 cup liquid egg whites (= 4 whites if you prefer)
2 scoops whey isolate protein, chocolate (i use 81grams, which is 2 huge scoops)
1/2 tsp *each* baking powder and pure vanilla extract
2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (10g)
2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce (150g)

Process it until it makes a smooth batter. Pour it into the loaf pan and cover with foil. Bake for 25 mins. Remove foil and bake an additional 15 mins or so, but keep an eye on it. Remove from the oven once it sets fully but be careful not to overcook, or the egg whites will get sponge-y and the brownies will dry out. Let it sit for 10 mins in the pan until it starts to pull away from the sides and then lift out using the parchment. Let cool fully on the counter and then cut into 6. Store in the fridge - I wrap mine up in cellophane or store in a plastic container and they keep fine for at least a week.

**You can add 1/4 cup artificial or natural sweetener or some kind if you like, as well. The recipe calls for it but I find that I like mine just like this. If you add liquid sweetener, I would suggest using less applesauce. The original recipe can be found here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/149814-banana-blueberry-protein-bread?

My stats are: 148 cals, 2g fat, 19g protein, 3g fiber.

I crumble mine over fruit and yogurt for a big post-workout (or afternoon) snack. Enjoy! :bigsmile:

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    oo I'm going to try these!
  • snowsquall
    snowsquall Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Will try too, thanks
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    LOVE it! Thank you! We are so similar, as you know! :bigsmile:
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    yay bump!!
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    How many carbohydrates are in this?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options

my estimation is 13g.

Looks good. Might do some baking tonight :)
  • melbelle32
    melbelle32 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lindajay3
    lindajay3 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • joannashaw
    Options
    Bump
  • joannashaw
    Options
    Bump
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Not sure as I don't count carbs on a daily basis (I eat very little processed carbohydrates to begin with) but I think it's about 15g. You can make it with banana, water and sweetener in lieu of applesauce. Or just water. Or whatever you want. The recipe is flexible!
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Looks good. Might do some baking tonight :)
    Let me know what you think!

Same goes for the rest of you - Post your comments or substitutions. I'd love suggestions! I've played around with the recipe a bunch already and this works best for me (I find baking 6 at a time easier to manage and it tends to bake most consistently than making 12 in an 8x8 as suggested by the OP)... But I'm open to new variations!

I have tried it with add ins like nuts and also topped with PB and it's good, but not fabulous. Given the stats on these suckers I think they are pretty damn good...
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Is good :smile:

I did your recipe exactly except I used 60g apple sauce and 100ml of ffgy. Trying to up the protein a bit more and since the apple sauce is usually added for moistness I figured I could sub for ffgy.

They sunk a bit?

Made 8. 117 cals 13/2/9 C/F/P

11%2B-%2B1
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Oooo bump!
  • sedric
    sedric Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    thanks! I'll try these and let you know:)
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't know about taste but they sure look delicious to me! I'm definitely going to try them out this weekend. Yummmm!
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Yours look SO moist Chris! I'm just a bit sketched about baking with ffgy... also, it's so damn expensive and applesauce is dirt cheap :blushing:

Seriously though, you are really making me think...Those pics look awesome! 9g protein only for 1/8 of the recipe though. Seems odd! Mine are 19g for 1/6th...
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    I make my own ffgy and it's only $2.50 a litre :smile:

haha I just checked my recipe. Forgot to add the protein powder haha.
    8 serves
    117 cals
    10/2/14 C/F/P

That makes more sense.
  • meagalayne
    Options
    I make my own ffgy and it's only $2.50 a litre :smile:

haha I just checked my recipe. Forgot to add the protein powder haha.
    8 serves
    117 cals
    10/2/14 C/F/P

That makes more sense.
    Makes sense! How do you make your own ffgy? Ive seen recipes for it in the past, but I'm suuuch a skeptic ! :tongue:
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    bump