this is a rant about something positive

Options

Replies

• brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Medically I may be placed in the higher risk categories for certain illnesses, but like I stated above - I'm healthy by all medical tests.

The more fat you have, the more complications in the operating room if you ever require any type or emergency surgery as well.

You can't just blow off all the negatives by just saying 'big is beautiful'....when really there are no positives to being obese..other then people justifying themselves being larger.

Body weight and relative health IS measureable, and the problems that come up with being overweight are real. There are studies, public documents and guidelines available that go heavily into detail about what 'healthy' actually is.

Thinking them away doesnt' make you healthier. Thinking them away doesnt' make you thinner, or run faster. Saying you're beautiful doesn't get rid of any of the problems either. Regardless of wether you're Paris Hilton, or Oscar the Grouch.

Smoking is sexy to some.
    It also kills others.
    That's why Oscar ^ quit.

If you're happy living with increased chances of:

•Coronary heart disease
    •Type 2 diabetes
    •Cancers (endometrial, breast, and colon)
    •Hypertension (high blood pressure)
    •Dyslipidemia (for example, high total cholesterol or high levels of triglycerides)
    •Stroke
    •Liver and Gallbladder disease
    •Sleep apnea and respiratory problems
    •Osteoarthritis (a degeneration of cartilage and its underlying bone within a joint)
    •Gynecological problems (abnormal menses, infertility)

then more power to you.

Realize there's a better chance of your family and children having increased risk of all that if they follow in your footsteps, do as you do, or eat and act the way you do..

That's all my opinion...but what do I know, I'm a mermaid too

..so what I said above doesn't even exist.

lol, I think the person was just saying that just because they're at risk for it, doesn't mean they have it. So what you said had no real point to it. And the point of the post wasn't that big is beautiful, it's that you don't have to be skinny to be beautiful. You can be big and still be gorgeous.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    What I say is, who even gives a rat's behind if the model IS overweight? I hardly see why that's annoying or whatever. What, it annoys you because she's overweight and that beautiful? Your "friend" and other people should really get over their jealousy :)

Her pretty while being overweight is not the part that annoys me. I find myself to be significantly more attractive than her so I have no idea what I would be jealous of. The only thing that annoys me is people promoting unhealthy weight. Refer to kiwiburgers post for more information.
  • CindiBryce
    Options
    Medically I may be placed in the higher risk categories for certain illnesses, but like I stated above - I'm healthy by all medical tests.

The more fat you have, the more complications in the operating room if you ever require any type or emergency surgery as well.

You can't just blow off all the negatives by just saying 'big is beautiful'....when really there are no positives to being obese..other then people justifying themselves being larger.

Body weight and relative health IS measureable, and the problems that come up with being overweight are real. There are studies, public documents and guidelines available that go heavily into detail about what 'healthy' actually is.

Thinking them away doesnt' make you healthier. Thinking them away doesnt' make you thinner, or run faster. Saying you're beautiful doesn't get rid of any of the problems either. Regardless of wether you're Paris Hilton, or Oscar the Grouch.

Smoking is sexy to some.
    It also kills others.
    That's why Oscar ^ quit.

•Coronary heart disease
    •Type 2 diabetes
    •Dyslipidemia (for example, high total cholesterol or high levels of triglycerides)
    •Stroke
    •Osteoarthritis (a degeneration of cartilage and its underlying bone within a joint)

then more power to you.

Realize there's a better chance of your family and children having increased risk of all that if they follow in your footsteps, do as you do, or eat and act the way you do..

lol, I think the person was just saying that just because they're at risk for it, doesn't mean they have it. So what you said had no real point to it. And the point of the post wasn't that big is beautiful, it's that you don't have to be skinny to be beautiful. You can be big and still be gorgeous.
    You can't deny that "big is beautiful" is a common justification many use for their unhealthy lifestyles. I agree that a person can be beautiful at whatever size, though. But I think that "fat empowerment" is an excuse for many to continue unhealthy lifestyles. Just my opinion.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I think the most important piece of misinformation in that entire debacle is that whales don't hang around with seals. I mean, come on.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    You can't deny that "big is beautiful" is a common justification many use for their unhealthy lifestyles. I agree that a person can be beautiful at whatever size, though. But I think that "fat empowerment" is an excuse for many to continue unhealthy lifestyles. Just my opinion.

Oh, it is. But I don't think the OP, personally, was saying big is beautiful, just that you CAN be beautiful, even if you're big. Do you see the difference? Like, I believe that I'm beautiful. I know I'm big, and I'm working to change it, but just because I am big, does not mean I'm not beautiful. You see? :)
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    I also disagree that weight is measurable to health. It is to some degree, there's no denying that, but I know a lot of people that are at a healthy weight and BMI, but I could probably outrun them any day. A friend of mine is at a healthy weight and BMI but her doctor is starting to see plaque buildup in her arteries; my heart and arteries, however, are in ideal condition. So while a good portion can be measured against health, just because you are skinny, doesn't mean you're healthier IN ALL ASPECTS.
  • Deb2012
    Deb2012 Posts: 124
    Options

Smoking is sexy to some.
    It also kills others.
    That's why Oscar ^ quit.

•Coronary heart disease
    •Type 2 diabetes
    •Stroke

then more power to you.

THANK YOU!

I was in NO WAY saying that I wasn't at risk... I believe I even wrote I may be placed in the higher risk categories. But at this point in my life I am overweight - yes, unhealthy - no, lazy - no. Which is basically what the general public's view of overweight people is.

Yes, if I didn't care about my lifestyle, what I put in my mouth or how much I exercised then DEFINITELY I wouldn't consider myself healthy. Not saying I'm a picture of perfect health right now either, but I'm on my way.

To quote "Realize there's a better chance of your family and children having increased risk of all that if they follow in your footsteps, do as you do, or eat and act the way you do.." YES I am fully aware of this. How do you think I am overweight today? BOTH my parents are overweight. Not blaming them, I am an adult afterall, but they have definitely contributed. But I am extremely active. Gym sessions & PT's for the past 7 or so years. Definitely NOT lazy. Whether or not this part of your post was directed AT ME. You have as most people would - assumed. Assumed that my children's risk is increased by following in my footsteps... assumptions. How do you not know that I have great eating habits (or at least no worse than the average person), and exercise almost daily? You don't. Therefore, based on the fact I am overweight I must eat badly and not exercise.

All in all my post was ONLY to point out the fact that just because someone is overweight doesn't mean they are lazy & sit there eating cheeseburgers all day long.

Big IS beautiful. Big ISN'T always unhealthy. Skinny IS beautiful. Skinny ISN'T always healthy.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    That article/snippit seems more defeatist than inspiring. It's saying "hey you're fat, accept it and embrace it, love it!". It's not trying to tell you to do something about it at all....sure I do believe one should be comfortable with one's self no matter what they are like, but when you start saying things like "oh I'm just fat because of all the wisdom I've gathered"...is that really inspiring?
  • femmerides
    femmerides Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    what i was saying was that strive for healthiness and love yourself always. we are all on a journey to become better people and healthier people. i was big and beautiful at 250lbs. i am big and beautiful now at 177lbs. i have been healthier the entire time. i eat healthy, i exercise regularly, i limit my alcohol, etc. i've been like this for years, even when i was heavier. the only reason i posted it was to encourage women who have self esteem issues to love themselves no matter what.
  • Deb2012
    Options
    I also disagree that weight is measurable to health. It is to some degree, there's no denying that, but I know a lot of people that are at a healthy weight and BMI, but I could probably outrun them any day. A friend of mine is at a healthy weight and BMI but her doctor is starting to see plaque buildup in her arteries; my heart and arteries, however, are in ideal condition. So while a good portion can be measured against health, just because you are skinny, doesn't mean you're healthier IN ALL ASPECTS.

This was exactly my point. So once again, thank you :smile: I can outrun my friend 30kg lighter than me and she's def not healthy with all the fat from her poor food choices roaming around her bloodstream.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    what i was saying was that strive for healthiness and love yourself always. we are all on a journey to become better people and healthier people. i was big and beautiful at 250lbs. i am big and beautiful now at 177lbs. i have been healthier the entire time. i eat healthy, i exercise regularly, i limit my alcohol, etc. i've been like this for years, even when i was heavier. the only reason i posted it was to encourage women who have self esteem issues to love themselves no matter what.

Well in that context, sure...then I could see for esteem reasons the inspiration, but not for weight loss.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    THANK YOU!

I was in NO WAY saying that I wasn't at risk... I believe I even wrote I may be placed in the higher risk categories. But at this point in my life I am overweight - yes, unhealthy - no, lazy - no. Which is basically what the general public's view of overweight people is.

Yes, if I didn't care about my lifestyle, what I put in my mouth or how much I exercised then DEFINITELY I wouldn't consider myself healthy. Not saying I'm a picture of perfect health right now either, but I'm on my way.

To quote "Realize there's a better chance of your family and children having increased risk of all that if they follow in your footsteps, do as you do, or eat and act the way you do.." YES I am fully aware of this. How do you think I am overweight today? BOTH my parents are overweight. Not blaming them, I am an adult afterall, but they have definitely contributed. But I am extremely active. Gym sessions & PT's for the past 7 or so years. Definitely NOT lazy. Whether or not this part of your post was directed AT ME. You have as most people would - assumed. Assumed that my children's risk is increased by following in my footsteps... assumptions. How do you not know that I have great eating habits (or at least no worse than the average person), and exercise almost daily? You don't. Therefore, based on the fact I am overweight I must eat badly and not exercise.

All in all my post was ONLY to point out the fact that just because someone is overweight doesn't mean they are lazy & sit there eating cheeseburgers all day long.

Big IS beautiful. Big ISN'T always unhealthy. Skinny IS beautiful. Skinny ISN'T always healthy.

You are very welcome. You see, I actually read things and take them in context before I assume things that may turn out to be pointless. lol
  • Whatareherthings711
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I love that! =)
  • Deb2012
    Options
    THANK YOU!

You are very welcome. You see, I actually read things and take them in context before I assume things that may turn out to be pointless. lol

HAHAHA. Love it :laugh:
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Going back to the OP, what bugs me is that it is still acceptable to too many people to call a fat person a "whale." You can say being overweight is unhealthy, fine... but what makes it okay to call someone a whale? We all know it's meant as an insult. Fat may not be a good thing to have, but it does not make you a bad person. Most of us have some kind of issue we struggle with in our lives; weight just happens to be more readily apparent than a whole host of other issues, some of which are far more serious and unhealthy.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I still say I'd rather be a cat. Definitely over a mermaid or whale.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I still say I'd rather be a cat. Definitely over a mermaid or whale.

What about a porpoise? They're cool.
  • Deb2012
    Options
    Going back to the OP, what bugs me is that it is still acceptable to too many people to call a fat person a "whale." You can say being overweight is unhealthy, fine... but what makes it okay to call someone a whale? We all know it's meant as an insult. Fat may not be a good thing to have, but it does not make you a bad person. Most of us have some kind of issue we struggle with in our lives; weight just happens to be more readily apparent than a whole host of other issues, some of which are far more serious and unhealthy.

I agree.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent" - Eleanor Roosevelt.
  • femmerides
    Options

i know plenty of "skinny fat" girls. i would rather be 30 pounds overweight but actually healthy and fit (as in having endurance, etc) than be skinny fat and totally unhealthy.
  • femmerides
    Options

it's never okay to put anyone down. ever. WHY? what's the point? why do you want to insult someone and hurt them?
This discussion has been closed.