Calories Burned- I question the calculation

Options
2»

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    To the OP, I'm not trying to criticize here, but according to your diary, you don't exercise very often. Its hard to imagine that people could get really big burns when you aren't making any attempts at it yourself.
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I do not exercise now because I am getting a second degree. My prior life I was a runner & an aerobics instructor. To put down that I exercise a lot now would be a lie. I study a lot. I am questioning a math problem here, not an individual.
  • shaj316
    shaj316 Posts: 161
    Options
    I also questioned the calcs and would use other sites to figure out my cals burned. Then I got the HRM and that combined with the idea that you should subtract calories you would have burned sitting around got me numbers I feel much more confident about. Yes, I know the HRM is not measureing cals burned but rather estimating them based on how hard your heart is working, BUT that is way better than guessing from a website.

As for how other people burn that many cals...bigger people work harder just because of their size, so maybe that is a factor you are not considering...
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing that people have burned 750 calories doing 45 mins of high impact aerobics for example. I have to call Bull*it on this. I just do not believe that someone can maintain a heart rate in the highest zone possible for 45 mins to burn that many calories. 345 I believe but in the 700's?

I have gone to respectable Health/Medical Websites and I would have do approximatley 120 mins of High Impact aerobics to burn 700 calories. Does anyone else think these calculations are wrong? Logic should tell you you can not burn 1000 calories in 70 mins! If you can I want to see your heart rate results.

Thoughts anyone.

Come do p90x w/ me. Maintain the level of intensity through out the program, and you'll be up there. I believe the people at Polor are better at judging calories burned than you are.

How about instead you question why people count things such as "taking out the trash... cleaning the house.... walked to the office from the parking deck"

Also, on my road bike, I can burn 2200 calories in 120 mins.
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing that people have burned 750 calories doing 45 mins of high impact aerobics for example. I have to call Bull*it on this. I just do not believe that someone can maintain a heart rate in the highest zone possible for 45 mins to burn that many calories. 345 I believe but in the 700's?

I have gone to respectable Health/Medical Websites and I would have do approximatley 120 mins of High Impact aerobics to burn 700 calories. Does anyone else think these calculations are wrong? Logic should tell you you can not burn 1000 calories in 70 mins! If you can I want to see your heart rate results.

Thoughts anyone.

Come do p90x w/ me. Maintain the level of intensity through out the program, and you'll be up there. I believe the people at Polor are better at judging calories burned than you are.

How about instead you question why people count things such as "taking out the trash... cleaning the house.... walked to the office"

p90X I believe you maintain the heart rate needed! No doubt! HAHA, I have yet to see someone "take out the trash" calories burned, But I will be looking for it now!
  • mrmanmeat
    Options

Thoughts anyone.

How about instead you question why people count things such as "taking out the trash... cleaning the house.... walked to the office"

p90X I believe you maintain the heart rate needed! No doubt! HAHA, I have yet to see someone "take out the trash" calories burned, But I will be looking for it now!

You also have to consider that some people put some workouts into a general category because they don't 1) know how to make a new exercise 2) care to make a new one - so they might be doing something a little different.

And as said, people will more to lose will burn more based on their bmi
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I agree, let's be supportive of each other not tear each other down!
  • mrmanmeat
    Options

Even when people are only hurting themselves? Let's not be so sensitive and lovey-dovey.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I also have my doubts about the math and calories burned as well.....I'm assuming when I plug in X number of minutes doing X workout, I get the same number that someone either much larger or much smaller might get. I have a HRM watch and workout in a gym, where I put my weight and age into the machine, so I try to use those numbers instead, and find MFP a little high.

It should be taken with a grain of salt, especially if you plan to eat all of those exercise calories back (most days, I eat half of them, if any). My mantra is always "when it doubt, estimate calories high and calories burned low"
  • fitjunk
    fitjunk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have to log that I "walk" @ 4.0 . Infact I actually jog at this pace(29' legs!) and the cals for this are way off for me because I also have my treadmill on a 7% to 9% incline. I can't input that I'm on an incline anywhere in the data base that i have seen. So if someone were to see the cals I input for 30 or 40mins they would have to call bull. I have a treadmill from a women's fitness club and it is very accurate. I guess what Im saying is this system isn't perfect so we may need to input our real cal burned numbers under something close to what we have just done or just as a label for it! Why worry about someone else's numbers when your not there to see what they are actually doing.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I'm in the camp that doesn't really trust readings from anything not attached to your body while you're working out. I wear a Bodymedia Fit & I find that over the past year+ I've been wearing it, the readings are pretty consistent with my calorie deficits. I have definitely raised an eyebrow at some of the calorie burn posts that come through my feed, but I can't say it really bothers me. Whether a website says someone burned 200 or 1,000 during their workout isn't going to impact my weight loss, or theirs for that matter. They still did whatever exercise they did & burned however much it burned.

Now, if that person does the "eat back your calories" thing & goes exclusively by what this site says they've burned, they could run into trouble there, because if the site is indeed overstating calorie burn, they could be eating their way into maintenance, or even weight GAIN as a worst case.

Take everything with a grain of salt. It's all estimates...websites, pedometers, HRMs, Bodymedia Fits, nutritional info on food products, the food database here. All we can do is try our best to stay in a consistent range with our calories (& macros, if you manage to those) & exercise regularly. Every 3-4 weeks or so is a good time frame to look back at what you've been doing & correlate it to your WL then adjust if necessary. The only real evidence of what works for you is your own body.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    MFP"s workout numbers are estimates, not exact science. Being I didn't eat back whatever I burned, it didn't matter that I used their numbers, cut a % of their numbers off, etc. I am also an HRM user and love it! :)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM each time I exercise.

When I take spin class I can burn 700 plus calories in 50 minutes. Last week I ran a 10k and in the 1:16 it took me to run it I burned 1055 calories. I also do crossfit and in just 20 minutes there are times when I burn over 300 calories in that short time.

Each person is different and one persons level of intensity may be different than anothers.

Personally I don't care what others are doing or saying. I only care about my workout.

Sensible. Thank you.

Realistically, I've never seen anyone who is logging using the MFP estimates either a) take them that seriously or b) eat them all back. I do about 2 hours of exercise every day (generally 90 minutes in the gym, and something else at the other end of the day). MFP gives me stupid numbers for that. But I'm not stupid enough to think I can eat that lot. That said, even if I did, why on earth does it bother the OP?
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

Even when people are only hurting themselves? Let's not be so sensitive and lovey-dovey.

Out of interest, who's hurting themselves?
  • istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I never log my calories burned on MFP for the reason it's not going to be accurate, sometiems it'll say I burned more than I did and sometimes less, like evryone said, the bigger you are the more you burn, men burn more than women usually, and different levels of instensity and other variables factor into it, for example if you go for a walk at 3.5 mph which is an option on MFP that that does factor in to weather it was outdoors or indoors or the type of terrain and how much of it was uphill (which would cause you burn more) or downhill nor the degree of slope, thats where at Heart Rate Montior with GPS would come in and be more accuarate.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Not sure why it makes any difference, but it's all about weight vs intensity. It takes a certain blend of size, fitness level, and endurance to burn 1K calories in an hour. People who are fit enough tend to be too light, and those heavy enough often don't have the fitness ability. It's not rare, but it's also not common.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this has already been said w/ two pages of replies but...

Look at things in terms of percentages. Consider we are both of the same fitness level, but different weights, heights etc.

My BRM is 2600. In one hour of running I burn 1000 calories

Your BRM is 1800. In one hour of running you burn 692 calories.

My higher BRM equates to being taller, heavier etc so I will actually burn more calories than you because my body is having to move THAT much more weight.

Imagine how powerful you would be with the same muscle mass as a 250lb male. You would be superhumanly strong and a calorie burning machine!!