Slimfast..... Is it the devil??... Special K???

Options
Anyone using meal replacement drinks?? Which are the good ones???

What about Special K cereal, bars and shakes??

Replies

• sheisbrown
    sheisbrown Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    No. I like food too much. I do drink a whey protein shake after a vigorous, hard workout, but it does not replace meals as I still eat in between.
  • amcswain01
    amcswain01 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    During the week I have a Special K double chocolate protein bar for breakfast. It's pretty filling. 170 calories and 10 grams of protein.
  • RhondaLeeRoss
    Options
    Hey there!
    I have to admit, I drink the chocolate slim fast shake (I make it with skim milk) every morning. This is mearly because I don't have time in the morning to eat. Not to mention I like the taste of it. I do have protien bars at times too, only when I'm on the go or short on time. I couldn't give you any advise on either one. Just wanted to let you know I'm in the same boat!
    Have a great day!
    Rhonda
  • katieomac
    Options
    I really like the SAFEWAY brand diet shakes in rich chocolate royale. They don't have a nasty after taste like many of the other shakes out there.
  • paloma1182
    paloma1182 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Do you have aldi by you? i'll drink the chocolate ones by them in the am with a banana for breakfast its about 130 calories i believe
  • busymnmom
    busymnmom Posts: 133
    Options
    I do Vi-Shakes

I bring Luna bars to work with me for snacks
  • sineadangele1
    sineadangele1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    i drink boost for breakfast every day cuz its fast and i have no time in the mornings. and i love some of the special k snacks like the fruit crisps
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    DO NOT BOTHER WITH MEAL REPLACEMENTS!

Recently wrote a blog on one .... at http://harderbetter-fasterstronger.blogspot.com which is my personal expereinces diary/opinions on stuff.

Basically full of carbs and a crushed up vitamin pill.

I was crippled in pain from the amount of dairy I was having to consume from the makeup of these things. They're not satisfying, they'll make you feel deprived and mostly taste like synthetic crap.

I advise finding smaller portion meals of roughly the same calorie quantity ~ 215 kcal such as 40g porridge with 100ml skimmed milk in the morning with 2 or 3 chopped up prunes and some granulated sweetner, or a small sandwich with a tomato and salad and a piece of fruit for lunch! :)

Theres nothing really that special about any of them except they make them "less" calories. In fact, mostly they're just smaller portions. Save yourself the money and don't deprive yourself of lovely tastes and flavours and just cut what you like to eat down in size! :) xx
  • StormyLlewellyn
    Options
    Anyone using meal replacement drinks?? Which are the good ones???

What about Special K cereal, bars and shakes??

I have gone down that path and really don't reccommend it...
    The carbs/sugars and dairy alone in the slim fast are incredibly high..
    Then you crash when the quick energy wears off...

(((I lost over 60 pounds in under 6 months but life sucked the whole time Because,,,
    I Was Deprived of real food, Cranky because I had to smell other's eating real food, I was tired,
    When the sugar rush wore off I always felt like I could fall asleep standing up..
    Sure it worked quick but I gained back 80 pounds in 3 month just eating real food afterwards..
    I followed the Diet to the T 2 shakes a day 2 healthy snacks a day then a sensible dinner &
    I worked out 30 min 3 or 4 times a week. When I started eating real food lean meats and fruits
    and veggies and a yogurt a day my body just kept gaining the weight back even though I was
    still working out 3 or 4 times a week..
    Nothing sucks more than gaining back weight after giving up so much to lose it...))

When I stopped useing the shakes and bars I lost weight slower but I kept it off..
  • MrsWibbly
    MrsWibbly Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I have recently thrown my Special K out as it is 17% SUGAR - ridiculous for a so called healthy cereal. Will stick to my shredded wheat and if I want something sweeter I'll have museli - at least the sugar in mine comes from dried fruit.
  • TeraJo
    TeraJo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I do the Slim Fast 3-2-1 creamy chocolate shake in the morning. It's only 190 calories and truly does fill you up. If I am also getting hungry and feel the need to chew something I will have either the Special K Vanilla Crisp bar (90 cal) or the Fiber One Oats & Chocolate Bar (140 cal)

I do this because my entire breakfast and lunch will be around 300-350 calories, and then I can pretty much do what I want for dinner.
  • alexa_image
    alexa_image Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I use Shakeology for my breakfast every morning, and it is actually the healthiest meal of my day
    Help me loose weight, gives me energy, stop my sweet cravings.
    And is chocolate flavor and it is sooo yummmyyyy
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I'd much rather eat my calories. I do eat Special K crisps once in a while. They are thin poptarts but cost 10x more per oz.
    I guess you pay for Portion control and the cost of being lazy. :drinker:
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I only drink meal replacement drinks if I make them myself. Such as blending veggies and fruits into a smoothie. I usually put about 3 cups of spinach and 1 cup of Kale into my smoothies and add fruit so it's pretty much like a meal but tastes so much better than a salad.

There are too many artificial ingredients in store-bought meal replacement drinks. I'd stay away from them if I were you :flowerforyou:
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Slim fast has high fructose corn syrup and sucrolose in it. I wouldn't bother with that one. I would recommend other low carb options such as Jay Robb protein or Nu-Tek Pro 5.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    I used to do Slim Fast shakes but they never satisfied my hunger and I would gain the weight back as soon as I stopped drinking them. I think they're OK for lunch if you have other healthy snacks throughout the day, but I would never drink them for breakfast. They're just not enough calories to "break the fast" (which is where the work breakfast comes from). I've lost more weight eating real food than I have with meal replacements.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    It's incredibly easy to toss a banana, a handful of dark green leafy (kale, spinach, etc.), and a little frozen berries in the blender with either some water (my choice), or some yogurt/non-fat milk or milk alternative. Add a scoop of protein powder if you like that, and blend up.

Yay, nutritious instant breakfast. And, if you don't use dairy, you can just rinse the blender container clean.
  • vlynnvale
    vlynnvale Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Too much sugar in those meal replacement drinks. Although, Special K makes those awesome cracker chips.

If you would rather have something in the morning that is on the go/drinkable, make a fruit smoothie.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Diet plans
    By Mayo Clinic staff

When it comes to weight loss, there's no shortage of diet plans. Check any magazine rack, and you're bound to see the latest and greatest diet plans. But how do you know if a diet plan fits your needs and lifestyle? Ask yourself these questions about any diet plan you're considering:

Does it include various foods from the major food groups: fruits, vegetables, grains, low-fat dairy products, lean protein sources, nuts and seeds?
    Does it include foods you like and that you would enjoy eating for a lifetime — not just for several weeks or months?
    Can you easily find these food in your local grocery store?
    Will you be able to eat your favorite foods, or better yet, all foods?
    Does it fit your lifestyle and budget?
    Does it include proper amounts of nutrients and calories to help you lose weight safely and effectively?
    Is regular physical activity part of the plan?
    If the answer to any of these questions is no, keep looking. There are better diet plans out there for you.

Mayo Clinic diet
    Weight-loss basics
    See AlsoHand Scheduled
    Section Focus
    Weight loss: Choosing a diet that's right for you
    Low-carb diet
    Atkins Diet: What's behind the claims?
    South Beach Diet
    Vegetarian diet: Will it help me lose weight?
    Cabbage soup diet: Can it help with weight loss?
    Coffee calories: Sabotaging your weight-loss goal?
    The Special K diet: Helpful for weight loss?
    Flat Belly Diet: Can it help you lose weight?
    HCG diet: Is it safe and effective?
    The Cookie Diet: Can it help you lose weight?
    Dieting?
    Beware of liquid calories
    Energy density and weight loss: Feel full on fewer calories
    Healthy recipes: A guide to ingredient substitutions
    Artificial sweeteners: Understanding these and other sugar substitutes
    When it comes to weight loss, there's no magic bullet
    Junk food diet for weight loss?
    High-protein diets: Are they safe?

Here is the link if you're interested.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss/MY00432/DSECTION=diet-plans
  • KEN1013
    KEN1013 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    i love the special k cereal for dinner,,,the berries/flakes and the almond and flakes are great and at 110 cal i use them for a snack to!!!