Slimfast..... Is it the devil??... Special K???

Options

Replies

• acciomuscles
    acciomuscles Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I eat Special K Protein Plus cereal for breakfast nearly every day. It's pretty bland, but packs a decent amount of protein, is low-carb for a cereal, and is good with fresh berries. The amount of carbs alone in the Slim Fast and Sp.K shakes is ridiculous. I tried the Sp.K fruit crisps while visiting my parents last weekend and found them DELICIOUS but probably void of any substantial nutritional value.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    You really have to look at the nutrition panel on things....for example, I suffer calf cramps all the time, even when just walking, so I was looking for cereals that had potassium because banana's make my stomach hurt. I could only find TWO cereals that had potassium and they weren't the popular ones. Unreal.
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Too much sugar in those meal replacement drinks. Although, Special K makes those awesome cracker chips.

If you would rather have something in the morning that is on the go/drinkable, make a fruit smoothie.

Yep you'll go over your sugars and they must be packed on sodium too. I did this diet and also had headaches all the time and was hungry. I think it can be an easy way out (if it worked) but planning meals ahead can work better. Its a realistic aproach. For how long can you have a slimfast diet? Many people pack pounds right back cause they couldnt manage how to eat healthy without them.
  • StormyLlewellyn
    Options
    I do the Slim Fast 3-2-1 creamy chocolate shake in the morning. It's only 190 calories and truly does fill you up. If I am also getting hungry and feel the need to chew something I will have either the Special K Vanilla Crisp bar (90 cal) or the Fiber One Oats & Chocolate Bar (140 cal)

I do this because my entire breakfast and lunch will be around 300-350 calories, and then I can pretty much do what I want for dinner.

The problem isn't when you start using products like this it is after you have been using them after a month or two.
    I hate to say it but it works to begin with but that sugar issue in the end bites you in the Behind.....
    I have seen it happen sooooooo many times... Real food is the way to go...
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Anyone using meal replacement drinks?? Which are the good ones???

What about Special K cereal, bars and shakes??

Slim-fast shakes are my favorite. The new bottled ones. I lost weight using them.
  • ladyrayado
    ladyrayado Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If I absolutely need one, I drink the EAS Advantedge Carb Control shakes. The chocolate ones are especially good. They are around 110 calories, but have a whopping 17 grams of protein. They definitely help keep me full until the next meal. I have one for breakfast a few times a wee.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I mix up whey protein with unsweetened almond milk for a shake at mid-morning and mid-afternoon as snacks. I still have breakfast, lunch and dinner as regular food.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I have tried both of them and would have to go with Shakeology instead :)
  • toque_de_miel
    toque_de_miel Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm not a breakfast person, but in the mornings I find that a 90 calorie Special K "Chocolately Pretzel" bar is extremely satisfying. Not a big portion but just enough to be not hungry throughout my morning.

Plus it's pretty tasty with alongside my morning coffee <3
  • catfus
    catfus Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have tried many, and feel very unsatisfied and also am left with a horrid taste in my mouth. I started the ViSalus Shakes some time ago. I do not feel deprived in the slightest, the sugars are very low and well they taste amazing!! My sisters husband is a Dr. at the Mayo clinic as well as a cyclist and he uses them. So I have full faith in there safety.
  • scair
    scair Posts: 2
    Options
    I use fatblaster. Have used it in the past with great success, now decided to do it again (no, didn't gain it all back - only one size over about 18 months but didn't go as far as I would've liked to the first time either). Doesn't leave me hungry, I'm quite happy with the carb content etc and appreciate that it's a bit of a multi vitamin. I've seen some comments in here on excess sodium and that sort of thing but I actually have to add salt to just about everything cos I'm nowhere near the daily requirments and that causes cramps! I eat plenty of 'real' food, snacks and a good dinner, but it's great for making sure I'm getting everything I need and not skipping meals or being tempted by the crap in my workplace! Each to their own and read the nutrition panels carefully I'd say :P
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I use Shakeology for my breakfast every morning, and it is actually the healthiest meal of my day
    Help me loose weight, gives me energy, stop my sweet cravings.
    And is chocolate flavor and it is sooo yummmyyyy

If a processed shake is the healthiest meal of your day.... what on earth do you eat for the rest of the day?
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I use the glucerna or diabetic boost meal replacements every now n then. I also have a whey isolate shake in the evening to helps top my protein for the day.

Yesterday infact, I was on the go, so I used a boost for breakfast and lunch. They were easy to carry, satisfied and I got what was needed in in the time I had allotted. I do not have them every day but they fit into my plan when needed.

People who speel about them having too much sugar or sodium are very uniformed or they do not look at ALL meal replacements to know that there ARE good choices out there. a diabetic boost for example has 4g of sugar ONLY 4!! that is a far cry from a piece of fruit that can be up to 14g and hey I still eat fruit too ;) Sodium is only 180mg ... not bad in my opinion.
    Now the fat is 7g.. yes that is on the high side but if you choose wisely for the rest of the day... fat content for the day balances out... and we all do need some fat :)
  • mezzosoprano89
    mezzosoprano89 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a special k cereal bar (90 calorie) with my lunches that I pack for work, they are just easy to throw in a lunch, pretty low calorie, and give me a nice chocolate fix.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I have Slim fast and Special K sometimes... It's good to mix it up! I love the cappuccino and strawberries and cream Slim fasts when I don't have time for breakfast. I love Special K's Blueberry, vanilla almond, cinnamon pecan, and chocolate delight cereals. They are great as breakfasts and desserts!! :-) The two nut ones are especially good with almond milk!!
  • paladeac
    paladeac Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    The problem with Special K cereal is that it's pretty low in fiber.
  • ashlielinn
    Options
    I'd say they're good for a quick breakfast or a snack, but the Special K diet "works" because you starve. I tried it for two weeks and couldn't believe how hungry I was!
  • CarrieJ85
    CarrieJ85 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I love the Special K cereal bars, especially the blueberry! They're sooooo good! I have one for breakfast every once in a while, only 90 calories! :smile:
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I mix up whey protein with unsweetened almond milk for a shake at mid-morning and mid-afternoon as snacks. I still have breakfast, lunch and dinner as regular food.

Me too! It's so much better than the meal replacement shakes such as slim fast. I like that I control what goes in it and can limit carbs and sugars.
  • bugsygal89
    bugsygal89 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I use it when I don't have a lot of time or I need a quick food fix. However, I don't recommend using them as a diet because the weight tends to not stay off. Plus if you have gained weight due to bad eating habits, it is more efficient to just change your eating habits.