im not losing weight and its been over 7 months :(

Options

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your help I even switched my lunch to fruits now I just need to work on dinner options Haha see no one at home cooks which sucks and if we cook its like pasta fajitas or something I know isn't good for me . I'm considering going to the doctor after all the suggestions . I havnt give in a very long time . But as said thank you :) anymore suggestions ?
    Just quick question, how do you measure the calories? Eyeballing it, or actually use a scale? I was worning the accuracy...
  • laurensohn22
    laurensohn22 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Well since most of what I eat (so far ) is processed and already has everything on the box -_- if its not boxed I do measure with a scale or using measuring cups ( but this is recent I didn't always do that ) and someone mentioned how do I measure calories burned and I just go off what the machine says since I don't have a hrm . I try to assume the machines are off so I try to stay under the calories by about 200 or so
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What type of exercise are you doing. Even if you elminate the processed food, there is still a question if you eat enough. 1400 is not that many calories. The two plateaus i have beaten have been from increasing my calories.
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I totally understand how frustrating it is when the scale doesn't budge! Based on your diary, I see two things that could be hindering your loss... First and foremost, is the amount of processed food you're eating. I would say go buy a beginners cookbook if you haven't done much cooking and get to it! You can make meals in advance and freeze them if necessary, but getting off of the absurd amount of sodium in processed food alone should help. My second suggestion would to be eating smaller portions more often. It looks like sometimes you're only really eating two meals a day. Your body needs to know that you're going to feed it regularly or it will try to hold on to everything you put into it. Oh and two other suggestions would be to try a completely new workout routine to shake things up and to weigh everything instead of measuring because it's much more accurate. Hope this helps!
  • laurensohn22
    Options
    Umm. Ok so for a long time I mean months my favorite machine was the elliptical and I have a trainer that works with me on weights once a week . Recently I started the c25k so now on the treadmill for 3 out of 5 days a week the other two days ill do strength

Also just an add about two weeks ago my gym shut down to remodel for 10 days . In those ten days I lost 2 pounds (didn't work out at all ) but now that I'm working out again (this is when I started the c25k) I have gained those 2 pounds back . Not cool -_-
  • sheisbrown
    sheisbrown Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I looked back at your diary since Monday. It looks like you are eating too much processed foods and not enough fresh fruit and veg. If you eat eggs, try having that in the morning instead of cereal. It will keep you fuller, longer. I also find eating fresh fruit and vegetables will eliminate the need for fiber one bars.

Agreed. Eat more veggies and whole foods and cut the processed food. Drink lots of water.
  • kmcrey87
    kmcrey87 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I see a LOT of processed foods in your diary. I would suggest more whole foods...more veggies for sure.

Yes, I would cut the processed foods and load up on the veggies and fruits. It's hard to overhaul your diet and it took me a long time to get mine right for my body, but you can do it!
  • mbaldan
    mbaldan Posts: 35
    Options
    I had the same problem. Even my BF couldn't understand it, I have impeccable eating habits and worked out all the time. It was FRUSTRATING!!!
    So, I saw my doc and they tested my thyroid. I am on Synthroid now and it helps. I have lost 10.8 pounds. It wasn't magic, though. I still work hard and have even cut meat out of my diet.
    Also, I hate to admit it, but I saw a medical weight loss clinic here in town. I get a weekly B shot and a weekly supply of Phentermine. But i only see them like every other week to give my body breaks. It has been working to kick start my weight loss. It wasn't an easy decision to go there, but I am so glad I did. Not only do I get the meds, but they give me support and helped me formulate a dietary plan for becoming a vegetarian so I wouldn't do it the wrong way.

Maybe start with your doctor b/c it sounds like something could be wrong...But I applaud you for not giving up (I almost did!).

Another trick...are you getting 60 grams of protein/day? If not, kick it up! The protein will help you burn fat. I have an EAS protein shake made with 3 TBSP of Greek yogurt ,1 cup of Light Soy or Almond (vanilla) milk, and 1 scoop of powder 2x per day. those alone are almost 60 gms of protein and I really believe it makes a huge difference. I feel tired when I don't get my protein in.

Anyway, good luck. If you want to add me, please do. I would very much like to support you through this as I was just there!
  • laurensohn22
    Options
    I actually changed my lunch today to a couple fruits :) now what's for dinner lol
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    That does NOT sound right at all...yeah, it matters what type of calories you are eating...but: only to an extent-

I ate 1500 calories a day in college (lost 25 lbs.) and could only afford frozen dinners, Lipton pasta sides, cereal, etc.

Definitely see a doctor!
  • lee3978
    lee3978 Posts: 274
    Options
    AFter college it was easier for me to lose major poundage on sodium filled meals and booze. Even up to about 30. Now what I did before does not work. Age? Metabolism? I don't know. And I'm more active now than ever.
  • Leyla135
    Options
    Sounds like there might be something wrong with your thyroid. Check with your Dr. Don't give up working out.
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    You should be tracking your sugar intake. (Google it for more info) Most people start out tracking their sugars then when they go over their goal, they stop tracking it. That's like not tracking calories because you always go over. It just won't work. I estimated by your food diary that you had 87 grams of sugar today. They suggest not going over 30 grams each day. Maybe you need to look at some other food choices. You should probably up the protein and lower the sugars. There are alot of foods that are delicious without going overboard on the sugars. I know it's a pain to sit in the grocery store checking the fats, calories, sugars, sodiums, etc... but until you find some good alternatives, you may need to do this. I bet if you watched your sugar intake for a month, you would see a difference. Good Luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Okay so if you're consistent, then this is a definite plateau. First thing to check to see if you're still doing the same workouts as you were 7 months ago. So are you?
  • snowsquall
    snowsquall Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi, i concur with many below, get your sodium under 2000 , drop the eggo waffles for breaky ,go with whole grain breads high fibre, get a lot more veggies in your dinner and drop the processed foods, i thought a low fat deli turkey wasnt bad but later found out 1000 sodium in 100g's go with Grissol baggetts herb garlic or something like that u can have 8 pieces and your choice of Philly cream cheese, 1 tablespoon will cover them for a total of 130 cals for the bagette and 40 cals for the cream cheese, good for snack or breaky.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Start tracking sugar, stop eating processed foods, be honest about what you are logging both for food and exercise. That would be a good start. I can't believe you are so amazed you haven't lost any weight yet. Try to buddy up with people who are being successful, read their food journals, see how they put together nutritional meals. Be mindful of both the macro and micro nutrients and try to stay within the recommended numbers.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Easiest suggestion, dont eat back your calories
  • crikee15
    crikee15 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone, you need more fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains, and also consider real, unprocessed protein (poultry, fish, tofu, etc) instead of getting the majority of it from bars. If you're strength training, you should probably kick up the amount of protein in general, because your carbs to protein ratio is ridiculously high, and protein helps muscles recover. I would also watch the sodium intake. Good luck!
  • kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    you might have a thyroid problem
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Easiest suggestion, dont eat back your calories
    I think she already eats very little. I doubt she is eating back with 1400 cal/day intake.