Whoever told me about HIIT on this board...

Options
I LOVE YOU! Working it into the cardio 2x a week, achieving significant mid-section fat loss. I feel so powerful with this tool!

Replies

• STACEBAR
    Options
    Ok so now tell me, what is HIIT?? :smile:
  • RosieB405
    RosieB405 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    What is HIIT?
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Please, tell us what you're doing. Thanks!
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    High Intensity Interval Training
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    do tell :D
  • kallico
    kallico Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    " HIIT stands for high intensity interval training. The basic premise behind HIIT is that you work really hard for a short burst and then have an active recovery period. Generally speaking, you may sprint for 30 seconds and then jog or walk for 1 minute. You would repeat this workout routine numerous times for the best effect. "
  • horsepullerlovesme
    horsepullerlovesme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    bump
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Are there any HIIT work out videos??
  • msjac23
    msjac23 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It' a great way to burn a lot of calories in a short period of time. I do it all the time.
  • cjasins
    cjasins Posts: 93
    Options
    HIIT is an exercise strategy that is intended to improve performance with short training sessions. It's a form of cardio that is beneficial to burning fat in a short and intense workout. Usual HIIT sessions may vary from 9–20 minutes. The original protocol set a 2:1 ratio for recovery to work periods. For example, a runner would alternate 30–40 seconds of jogging or walking with 15–20 seconds of hard sprinting.
  • LosingJenn
    Options
    High Intensity Interval Training- I do this with my personal trainer and am going to start doing it at home too. I am in no way affiliated with this website. It just explains HIIT well.
    http://www.intervaltraining.net/hiit.html
  • kallico
    kallico Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    you will see a modified version of this in the c25k program...
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    :smile:
    HIIT is an exercise strategy that is intended to improve performance with short training sessions. It's a form of cardio that is beneficial to burning fat in a short and intense workout. Usual HIIT sessions may vary from 9–20 minutes. The original protocol set a 2:1 ratio for recovery to work periods. For example, a runner would alternate 30–40 seconds of jogging or walking with 15–20 seconds of hard sprinting.

Now tha't what mfp.com is all about...for sharing useful information about exercise & nutrition! Thanks for sharing :smile:
  • Gemnildy
    Gemnildy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Good gravy. I know what it stands for. :huh:

What flavor of it, what routine(s) have you been using?
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    It sure does work!
    Aside from significant weights, I generally focus on high intervals....It's tough, but it's pretty quick and very effective.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I downloaded an app for my iphone that has a good program. It has beginner, intermediate, advanced and tabata selections. It is called "seconds". I sometimes will get the heart rate up a good 40 minutes prior to starting to get the benefit of both types of cardio, other days 20 minutes on the machines is all I have time for. Today was 15 minutes walk at an incline of 9.0 and 3.3 mph, followed by 25 minutes light run and then I started the beginner program which takes about 20 minutes. Beginner program: Walk 5, 30 seconds run at 8.5mph, then 1 1/2 minutes at 4mph walk, repeat 6x. Then 5 minutes cool down. I know it is working because I am feeling it at least two days after the interval workouts. I was at the intermediate level before I took a 2 week hiatus for whiplash... So starting over. I was overdoing it there for a while with 10mph sprints, could tell because it made me grumpy for a whole day after... So dialed it back a bit. Also, noticed my "light jog" pace has gone up from 5.2 to 6.0 mph... Crazy!
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks for the detailed info!
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Many articles on the internet, but one such article that caught my attention was about the cardiovascular benefits of intervals. It is suppose to target visceral fat, or the fat on the inside - even thin people have it. It supposedly causes your body to burn fat for up to 48 hours after HIIT, unlike steady - state cardio which supposedly targets the outer fat and you stop getting the benefits when you stop the exercise. Good stuff.