Whoever told me about HIIT on this board...

Options
2»

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    " HIIT stands for high intensity interval training. The basic premise behind HIIT is that you work really hard for a short burst and then have an active recovery period. Generally speaking, you may sprint for 30 seconds and then jog or walk for 1 minute. You would repeat this workout routine numerous times for the best effect. "

Your goal should be to work towards having the intervals last longer than the jogs/walks in between.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    I LOVE YOU! Working it into the cardio 2x a week, achieving significant mid-section fat loss. I feel so powerful with this tool!
    You're welcome.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    " HIIT stands for high intensity interval training. The basic premise behind HIIT is that you work really hard for a short burst and then have an active recovery period. Generally speaking, you may sprint for 30 seconds and then jog or walk for 1 minute. You would repeat this workout routine numerous times for the best effect. "

Your goal should be to work towards having the intervals last longer than the jogs/walks in between.

One article I read stated the goal to be such an effort at the high intensity, that you could barely walk on the recovery. I am no where close to this. Although my body probably could physically do this, I would be toast afterward for at least a day...
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Are there any HIIT work out videos??

Turbo Fire includes HIITs.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I LOVE HITTIN it!!
    When I do it I either run up stairs till I can't and then walk until I can run the stairs again, or I swim as hard as I can until I can't catch my breath and then back stroke slowly untill I'm breathing reasonablly and then rinse and repeat for between 30 min to 1 hr.
    When I added stronglifts 5x5 I kept going until I decided I wasn't recovering well enough and have put that on hold and to mild to moderate cardio on workout days and yoga or mild cardio on non workout day.

I wouldn't think you would need a video unless you just need explanations.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

One article I read stated the goal to be such an effort at the high intensity, that you could barely walk on the recovery. I am no where close to this. Although my body probably could physically do this, I would be toast afterward for at least a day...
    Sounds like Tabata. You should be gasping for air, but it's only for 4 minutes.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    A good way to do HIIT at home is with burpees (and make sure you jump at the end of the movement). On recovery just march in place. So 30 seconds of fast burpees, then recover.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Good to know, thanks!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I love it too...

I do 20 minutes on the treadmill.

2 minutes warmup at 4.0, 90 seconds running at 7.5, repeat until you hit 20. The beauty of this is that it goes by soooo fast because you are so busy recooperating from the run during your walk that time flies.
  • Jazzyjules71
    Jazzyjules71 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    One thing no one has mentioned....doing HIIT without the walking/running! Like on the elliptical, or combining it with strength moves to get strength training AND cardio. The best of all worlds- doing burpees, or plyo jumps, or something HR rising in between strength moves that work muliple muscle groups- this is highly effective.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    KB swings are great for Tabats.Thrusters with kb or db, snatches, goblet squats and so many more.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options

I was just going to say turbofire. Tabata i guess would be one method as well which i LOVE!
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    I love it too...

2 minutes warmup at 4.0, 90 seconds running at 7.5, repeat until you hit 20. The beauty of this is that it goes by soooo fast because you are so busy recooperating from the run during your walk that time flies.

Yes, do this all the time too! I just really like it not only for all the benefits already listed but that it doesn't bore me.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    One thing no one has mentioned....doing HIIT without the walking/running! Like on the elliptical, or combining it with strength moves to get strength training AND cardio. The best of all worlds- doing burpees, or plyo jumps, or something HR rising in between strength moves that work muliple muscle groups- this is highly effective.

Yes! I've done this as well. It can work with anything...love it!
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    It does work :D I do a couple of sessions of HIIT on the treadmill a week. And each session with my personal trainer starts with 5 minutes to 8 minutes of HIIT. For me, I run about 8.5 MPH for 30 seconds; then walk uphill for about a minute to recover; then repeat the process until I don't feel like doing it anymore, lol :) I try to do about 25 minutes of this twice a week. AND it is less tedious than straight running - the time goes by way faster for me this way.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I love it too...

I do the same thing...I pretty much feel like puking at the end LOL Great wrkout
  • Timdog57
    Timdog57 Posts: 102 Member
    Options

My GF and I recently did a workout where we did tabata body wieght squats, then a 1 mile run. We did the squats to parallel and as fast as possible, and we did the 1 mile run as fast as possible. I often do sets of squats with 275#'s, but this workout made me sore for 4 days afterward!!! It's crazy, but this bodywieght workout had my hobbling way more than any of my wieghted workouts, and it only took less than 15 minutes and no equipment was needed.
  • tbudge
    tbudge Posts: 114
    Options

I was going to say this same thing...Turbo Fire!!! She has some great HIITs....with different levels and everything! Anyone can do them!!!