Broke and healthy eating

Options
124»

Replies

• mebrowngirlgetfit
    Options
    For Breakfast Boiled Eggs just eat the egg whites and toast-high in protein and it will fill you up. Also oatmeal will fill you with good fiber and it also contains protein. Salads or good healthy and cheap. Make chicken soup using a whole chicken put in a crock pot add water bouillion and veggies it is delicious satisfying and will last you a few days.:flowerforyou:
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    For Breakfast Boiled Eggs just eat the egg whites and toast-high in protein and it will fill you up.
    While that's true, throwing away all your egg yolks is a bit extreme if you're seriously broke.
  • KickinBooty
    Options
    Squash can be very tasty and filling. Spaghetti squash-huge amount for one and very fiber filling. Beans and rice are good inexpensive options. Stock up on pasta, canned tomatoes, and tomato paste when they're on sale-you can always make marinara. Other options-vegetable soup. Tomato juice, frozen beans, some cooked ground hamburger or turkey meat, chopped up carrots, frozen corn, pepper, garlic, and other seasonings to taste. Finally, add sliced zuchini last to cook as they cook really fast. Top with parmesan for a tasty extra. Filling, inexpensive, good for several meals, and easy to freeze.

If you're eating a lot of Ramen you might try adding vegetables and not using all of the seasoning to help cut down the sodium. I like peas and sliced chicken. Other vegetables like carrots, green beans, brocoli can work well too.

Eggs can be a good source of protein and you can make your own inexpensive peanut butter.

Also, there may be a local food bank in your area that can help you and your husband get through this. It may not be easy on your pride, but it's hard to function when you don't eat or you eat poorly. My mom was a single parent and I know when she broke her leg and couldn't work we couldn't have made it without our churches food bank.
  • lovestobaketoo
    lovestobaketoo Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    beans, frozen fruit, breads of all types, pasta, canned red sauces
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    you can make your own inexpensive peanut butter.
    Peanut butter isn't as popular here; I had no idea you could make your own. Is it difficult?
  • RAQUELINATOVAR
    RAQUELINATOVAR Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    oatmeal, brown rice (i have good recipe for oven), bananas. sorry to hear about your situation. a lot of people are still in that boat right now. take care
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Also check in your area for something like "Angel Ministries" it is a group (religious I believe but you do not have to be religious to get help) - they give you boxes of food for WAY less than what you can get at the store. And usually if you look online the week before (when you have to sign up for it) you can see what the offering is going to be... A box will feed a family of 4 for a month. I've seen their offerings and they are pretty decent.
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    dried beans and dried rice, super cheap and nutritious.

absolutely the best nutrition for the least money! and you can add any spices, veggies or anything you want/have.
  • theroadto100
    theroadto100 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Do you have an Aldi supermarket near you? Most amazing place ever. They have insanely cheap food. Boxes of whole wheat pasta for $.99!
  • clh126
    clh126 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Another dried beans fan over here! For the past couple of weeks I've been making beans in the slow cooker by combining dried black beans, onions, pickled sliced jalapenos (personal preference, but I love these with pretty much everything!), and whatever veggies I have to use up like peppers, kale, etc and then cooking it overnight. I season the mix and then eat with some brown rice which is super cheap. I usually make a big batch and then eat it in my lunch for a few days.

For breakfast I'm also a big fan of oats. Rolled oats are ridiculously cheap if you buy the big container or in bulk (rather than those sugared up little packets of oatmeal). I'm not a fan of the mushy, gluey cooked oats, so instead I just put some in a tupperware, add some milk (or almond milk or yogurt - yougurt is cheaper if you buy the big containers of the plain kind) with some frozen berries if I have some, and by the time I get to school 30 minutes later, the oats have absorbed some of the liquid so that they're soft but not mushy. You could also make just regular oatmeal with some cinnamon too - very cheap!