What happens if you eat too much protein sometimes?

Options
2»

Replies

• ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    watch out for protien supplements that have creatinine, and other stuff, that can effect your kidneys... straight up protien if used with a level head should be fine, try to the majority from food and maybe 2 shakes a day... see if that helps you 'tone up'
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Good point Chris, thanks for mentioning that. YES, try to get as much of your protein from food as you can. I always do 1 shake post-workout, then usually before bed I'll have a scoop of vanilla protein powder mixed with 2 tbsp of peanut butter & 2-3 tbsp of unsweetened almond milk. It's a low carb, high protein snack with enough fat to thwart any nightime snacking urges plus keep me from waking up hungry. The other 150g I consume comes from food.
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Protein is your friend. Have lots of it. :)

Just try to limit the protein coming from things other than food. (as others have mentioned) I eat a lot of chicken, and I have a shake pre and post workout.... but my shakes are pure protein powder, milk, and some kind of flavoring.. (like ground cinnamon) anyway... Protein is always best from food, but if you do shakes or bars, be aware of the caloric content and carbs.... Try to find a low cal protein powder, that is pure protein. :)
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    ooohhh. If you have a lot of protein, then you need more FIBER to keep things flowing :) Protein can cause constipation if you have a lot and your body isnt used to it. I have like 120 grams a day, so I upped my fiber intake.
  • jenna066
    Options
    Make sure it;s lean protein, cuz high protein can turn into fat if its fatty protein
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Make sure it;s lean protein, cuz high protein can turn into fat if its fatty protein
    False. Dietary fat does not equal stored fat. You can stay within your calorie limits eating bacon or chicken breast, it's the quantity that makes the difference.
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm always over on my protein. I find eating protein stops me feeling hungry and I'm losing weight.
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    you'll probably grow an extra arm or something, but apart from that you should be fine. it might even come in handy for those fiddly jobs!

i think as a general rule, the guides are a guide, not a bible. if you are roughly within the caloires, it won't make any difference.

Oh, how I wish I had six extra arms! So funny, I only wish eating protein bars and chicken breasts had this effect!