Ex-smokers who became runners...

Options
13»

Replies

• JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Then again, that's the other good thing about exercise. It not only keeps you fit, but as you get fitter it can act as a strong motivation to give up. I love smoking - actively enjoy it; every aspect of it. But despite it not really interfering in my life in any way (apart from the expense....) I think I'm getting to the point where while I'm fitter than most of my (non-smoking) friends, I would probably take a quantum leap forward, if I gave up. I did give up for 6 months about a year ago and I was an absolute machine - when I built an extension on my house during that time I was carrying 3 or 4 heavy concrete blocks up and down 30 steps for 8 hours a day, without a rest (the extension was in an awkward place). I couldn't do that now. I think smoking may have put a "ceiling" on my fitness. But it's a pretty high ceiling! If you gave up years ago, you should be fine. But everyone is different -- a trip to the Doctor could put your mind at ease.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i quit smoking 1 1/2 years ago. this time is the longest i've ever stopped since i started smoking when i was 13 (20 years ago now)! i quit each time i got pregnant, but started up pretty soon after.

i started doing c25k when my last baby was 2 months old (9 months ago now). what i found was that i would run out of breath really quickly, and felt a bit like i was gasping for air. i remember not being able to suck enough air in. but stick with it- it does pass. for me, that was due to my poor level of fitness and the fact i hadn't ran since i was a kid. i kept going with it, and pretty soon it got so that my legs would hurt before i ran out of breath (i think that was about week 4 of c25k).

now, 9 months later, i have ran a half marathon (in 2hrs 44mins, but it's still done), a couple of 10ks, and a few trail runs. i run at least 4 times a week, and do core and strength training and different cardio too.

you can do it- the key is to stick with it. when you feel like you're going to die, keep going and work through it- it does get easier, i promise!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I quit 4 years ago. I used to smoke a pack a day-easily!.. now.. finally... I can run and workout with no lung problem.s

I remember between years 2-3 after quiting were still tough.

Now, I can smoke ONE cig, if I'm out with friends, and wake up the next day and run 7 miles with no problems. I'm shocked!

It takes time and you gotta work your lungs, but they'll come back.