Does shallowness play a role?

Options
MassiveDelta
MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
*Disclaimer* This could step over a rule line so please be careful in your response.

This is strictly about how a person looks and your assessment of them visually. How they act, how they stand, their weight, fitness, height, age..etc. Please dont talk about their views or ideals

When electing leaders like President, or congressional seats how much of a role does their appearance affect your decision?

Does a fat guy lose your vote? An ugly woman? a Pretty woman? A smoker? Did you vote based on ethnicity? (meaning you give a vote strictly because of ethnic background). Its well known that ever since Televised debates started. Generally the tallest candidate wins, but not in every case.

Assume you haven't heard them say anything.

Go

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    While I think Barack Obama is, by FAR, the most handsome president we've ever had, I would have voted for him regardless. I voted for John Kerry in the first election I could vote in and that guy's funny lookin'. XD
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    With this initial post, there is nothing against the rules, at all.

What you are saying is absolutely true. In psychology its called the beautiful people syndrome. Studies have shown people view better looking people as more intelligent, wealthy, trust worthy, better speakers, more enjoyable, and better leaders. The opposite also seems to test as true aswell.

Infact many historians argue that one of the main reasons JFK beat Nixon was because the debates were televised (one of the first to be televised), and even though these historians argue that Nixon had a stronger platform, his presence on TV was terrible, and this signifcantly helped JFK win the election.

But this isnt necessarily a bad thing. While the president job is to help decide on legislature and other things, he (or she I guess) is also an ambassador for the people of the United States. If we assume the beautiful people syndrome effects everyone throughout the world, we want the rest of the world to view our leader as confident, strong, and intelligent, so that we can enhance foreign policy, and benifit our country as best as possible
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    There have been studies conducted which have shown that in general people think that attractive people are more capable than unattractive people so I wouldn't be surprised if level of sexiness had an influence on voters.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Ben is right.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    The only thing that matters to me in voting for a leader is what they stand for, and their ability to communicate that effectively.

Clearly that isn't the case for everyone, as the trend for younger, better looking politicians who put in polished performances at every public event shows.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    frankly the people who "look Perfect" scare me away.

I don't need a slick politician. I need someone real, who is in line with MY values
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Warren G. Harding was the first president elected after women were allowed to vote (I think) and he apparently was thought of as a "looker" back then. It's thought of (by some scholars...my 8th grade SS teacher, for one) that the number of women voting helped him win the election, because he was handsome.

Now, I don't think that holds true these days. I think Obama is attractive, but that's not why I voted for him.
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Hey, even Perot got votes, and you can't get much funnier looking...just saying
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    What Ben wrote is totally true. It's human nature and basic psychology and people are prone to do this whether they are aware of it or not (in fact most of the time it's subconscious). Obviously we're not zombies though, and it's not strong enough of an instinct to totally defeat rationality. But unless there is some strong rational reason to go against instinct, looks will play a huge role in decision making. Sorry if I'm all over the place, I need another coffee pronto.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Many believe that Lincoln would never have been elected in the modern era because of his appearance.

It's sad that discussions about the viability of Chris Christie as a presidential candidate always includes discussion of his weight. I seem to recall someone once saying something in a speech about being judged by the content of our character, and not our outward appearance. Oh well...

I will vote for the best person, regardless of his/her appearance.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the governor of New Jersey re evaluated his run for president because of the issues that were being brought to his attention about his weight........Think his name is Chris Kristy.......not sure ,but hes the governor who is heavy and is prettty frank in his manner

I thought about it and yeah, gotta say I would be a little concerned.............(.I thought Cheney was a ticking time bomb ,with his poor health, bad heart and his weight , of which he has lost plenty as of today.). ...........also, this same New Jersey governor had to be rushed to a hospital in July because of an asthma attack, that was in part caused because of his weight..........Hes acknowledged the fact that yes, indeed he knows hes " fat"

good question though, and hopefully youll get some good replies................Lloyd

note about J. F Kennedy, ........after going to France and seeing how loved his wife Jackie was so popular, he had her give more stage presence in different countries that they went to.........She spoke French and Spanish, and the countries, both France and Mexico fell in love with her, her ability to speak their language and her looks............gotta say, Jackie was a looker.................
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I dunno. I mean, George W. straight up looks like a monkey, and he got voted into office...twice! I don't think looks always have to do with it.
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Politics should never be a beauty contest - most of them are ugly f*ckers whose mothers were slapped by the midwives after delivery.

It should be based on intellect and ability to do the job. Statesmanship plays a role too, after all you don't want your leader to look like a *kitten* with all the others do you?

The US sometimes forgets this and elects leaders like GWB and Mr Nancy Reagan
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Politics should never be a beauty contest - most of them are ugly f*ckers whose mothers were slapped by the midwives after delivery.

It should be based on intellect and ability to do the job. Statesmanship plays a role too, after all you don't want your leader to look like a *kitten* with all the others do you?

You don't think Clinton or Obama won because of their looks? Be serious.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    hey, speaking of looks..............anybody seen Hilliary Clinton lately? ..........(ouch)
  • AtticusFinch
    Options

You don't think Clinton or Obama won because of their looks? Be serious.

I'm rarely serious on Mfp. Clinton and Obama were 2 of your better decisions, not just pretty boys
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    For me it's not a deal breaker (that would be a stupid way to vote) but I think that an obese person is much more likely to have health issues. A fit person looks more like a leader and on visual basis only would appear to me to be more motivated, physically stronger, and more likely to be respected by other national leaders.

Now, I know that there are a lot of good and bad on both sides but based an appearance I would have to give a more fit person more of the benefit of the doubt than an obese person.

However, if the Fit Person's politics were opposed to mine and the obese person was similar to mine, I'd probably still vote for the obese person.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

A few posters before just suggested GWB looked like a monkey now this one suggests he belonged on a Naked fireman calendar.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    I dunno. I mean, George W. straight up looks like a monkey, and he got voted into office...twice! I don't think looks always have to do with it.

I'm going to assume you're using the term "got voted into office" loosely, here.

:laugh:
  • AtticusFinch
    Options
    A few posters before just suggested GWB looked like a monkey now this one suggests he belonged on a Naked fireman calendar.

No - I'm suggesting he was an embarrassing arsehole