Does shallowness play a role?

Options

Replies

• lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Hey, you wouldnt go to a dentist who had bad teeth, would you?
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I think it play a much bigger role in todays society then it has in the past. If a candidate is visually appealing then they get moved to the top of the list and whatever filters through about those view then they make a decision based on that. Todays society is much to shallow to and busy to do any real digging its much easier to just go with the popularity contest winner who is currently leading.

I think Health and fitness play a role in deciding these things. Many people made question of Reagans age going into the last election. People have commented about Chris Christy. I think its very important but its a secondary factor in a decision. You dont necessarily want to elect a guy who is one cheeseburger and an order of onion rings from kicking the bucket. His weight I think is major issue for him as a presidential candidate.

I also think some women are turned off by attractive women candidates.
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    I dunno. I mean, George W. straight up looks like a monkey, and he got voted into office...twice! I don't think looks always have to do with it.

I'm going to assume you're using the term "got voted into office" loosely, here.

:laugh:

Careful *shakes finger*
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Hey, you wouldnt go to a dentist who had bad teeth, would you?
    That would be a reflection of his neglect for his craft.

How does a politician's weight or appearance reflect on his/her craft as a policy maker?
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Don't mistake charisma for looks. Charisma can add to the 'attraction factor' of the politician as well. The first time I heard Obama talk I knew he would make a run for president - that was years ago, and I didn't think it would be while he was still so young. I don't think he is attractive at all. I didn't think Clinton was good looking either. Clinton definitely has the charisma factor though too.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options

I find Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachmann to be wholly terrifying but not because I'm intimidated by their looks. lol

If there were a hot, smart, competent female politician whose stance aligned with mine, I'd vote for her in a heartbeat!
  • MassiveDelta
    Options

I find Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachmann to be wholly terrifying but not because I'm intimidated by their looks. lol

If there were a hot, smart, competent female politician whose stance aligned with mine, I'd vote for her in a heartbeat!

someone like say...McKay? :D
  • Slimithy
    Slimithy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'm a Ron Paul supporter... so I clearly don't care what the candidate looks like... LOL.

That said, I actually had a professor I respected tell me not to bother taking the foreign service exam (I wanted to work overseas for the State Department). He said "Rob, it doesn't matter how well you do on that exam, they will not hire you." I asked why, and he said "Rob, you're very smart and would do a wonderful job for them; but the other part of the responsibility of working for them is to represent America to those overseas. You're smart, but not very pretty." He then pointed to a student I was teaching (I was in grad school at the time) and said they would take her over me any time. She was of above average intelligence, but more importantly, she was attractive.

It's not fair, but looks matter.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Not at all. I am passionate about politics and my views are based strictly on the candidate's stance. I would never, ever base it on looks at all.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    If it wasn't already clear to me why America is in such sad shape, it would've been made clear to me by reading this thread.
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    If it wasn't already clear to me why America is in such sad shape, it would've been made clear to me by reading this thread.

I hate to break it to you sweetheart but this isn't an American thing its a human nature thing. This happens everywhere. Ask yourself why Putin is always doing crazy Manly photo shoots. Its to appear big and strong and manly and powerful. Its about image.
  • Slimithy
    Slimithy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    What's the addage? "Politics is show business for ugly people"...

And Carlin was the one who sad all wars were really caused by penis envy...
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I think we are all attracted to "good looking" people.............and maybe that would influence a vote, IF other factors were involved.

Me? I look at the platform. Always. What do they stand for? Do they agree with my ideals/morals/desires for my family, community, country. Are they intelligent, well-read, politically savvy?

I would love to see a woman run for President - one who is SMART enough and STRONG enough. Sarah Palin? Joke. Michelle Bachmann? bigger joke. I do think that Hillary COULD make a good Prez.........she certainly has the experience and the savvy.

There are a LOT of reasons as to why a person votes for a certain candidate - BUT, the thing that is REALLY sad is that NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE VOTE!
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Personally I think charisma and how one carries oneself is more important in such situations than just basic physical appearance. Like it or not, persuading others to support you and share your views (or at least make reasonable compromises) is part of politics and definitely something someone like the President or a Governor needs to use on a very regular if not daily basis.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    your physical appearance is important in the workplace........dont believe me, read this..........they fired him for being obese........

so, your physical appearance plays an important role in your profession, whether its politics or corporate..............Lloyd

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/government-sues-bae-systems-firing-600-lb-employee/story?id=14623887
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    All I care about is their views on the important issues!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    your physical appearance is important in the workplace........dont believe me, read this..........they fired him for being obese........

so, your physical appearance plays an important role in your profession, whether its politics or corporate..............Lloyd

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/government-sues-bae-systems-firing-600-lb-employee/story?id=14623887
    The case you point to was an issue of the guy's weight preventing him from doing the job in a safe and efficient manner. I'm not going to hire a 90 pound weakling to do a job that requires heavy lifting, if he can't do it, and the law cannot force me to do so. If a guy is so overweight that it somehow prevent him from doing his job, then so be it.

Yes, physical ability to perform your assigned task aside, physical appearance plays a role in the workplace -- but only because of people's prejudices.

In the case of an elected official, how would weight prevent him/her from doing his/her job? Again, it's people's prejudices that come into play -- and it's just as wrong as judging a candidate based on their gender or skin color. Unfortunately, it happens a whole lot.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    frankly the people who "look Perfect" scare me away.

I don't need a slick politician. I need someone real, who is in line with MY values

This.

The ones with the hairstyle that look like they came from the Playdoh Fuzzy Pumper Barber shop give me the heebie jeebies!
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    There are some hot candidates that I would never, ever vote for--but I am pretty interested in politics and have very strong views. For people who don't have strong beliefs, or maybe don't have all the facts, then I am quite sure looks factor in to how they vote.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I am a Libertarian, so looks don't matter to me in a candidate. Libertarians are too practical for that. We just are. We see the bottom line. Heck, I am not planning on sleeping with any of the candiates, excpet Gary Johnson....I would totally hit that Libertarian hottie....He put a fire out with his feet people, his FEET.