Graduated from C25K today!!! Week 9- Day 3 DONE!!!

Options
j_courter
j_courter Posts: 999 Member
Hey everyone! I just thought I'd throw in my NSV of the day! I have officially finished the C25K challenge! I had a great group of ladies (and one gent) running alongside of me and their encouragement really did keep me going! Thanks Wimps 2 Warriors! (named after the Confuscius quote: "He who conquers himself is the mightiest warrior.") Anyway, for those of you who are thinking of starting C25K, here are a few entries from my running journal. Keep in mind, I am NOT a runner and I have never enjoyed running in the least....

8-8-11 C25K Day 1- Felt great! Couldn’t believe I was running for 60 seconds.

8-19-11 I started out with about as much coordination as if I were running through snow, but after I finished my second run session, my body felt much better. I didn’t eat or drink anything this morning before my run and didn’t have side pains, but trying to breathe as suggested was hopeless. I guess I can’t breathe and run at the same time!

8-22-1: Week 3, Day 1
Running felt great today. I was finally able to get the breathing thing under control and when I started to get a side stitch I just focused on the breathing and it brought me through.

8/31/11: I was sprinting at the end of my intervals today and managed a sprint/ walk session after my run today. This is the first time I haven’t avoided the hills, even with 5 minute runs! yeah!

9/9/11- Week 5, Day 3 TWENTY MINUTE RUN!!! DONE!!!! All I can say is I DID IT!

9/16/11: i got my 25 minute in run in today, but to be honest with you, it quickly turned in to a 36 minute run! i decided to see if I could go three miles, but miscalculated and ended up doing about 3.1.... at first i was pretty upset about averaging 12 minute miles, but reality quickly told me to look backward in time. about 7 weeks ago i couldn't run much more than 90 seconds at a time and today i ran 36 minutes! what am i whining about? speed will come with time. i am just thrilled that i can get out there and do this! yes, i was wiped out by the end of my run, but it felt great and i got it done, albeit with my third wind! did you know you had a third wind because i sure didn't!

9/24/11: i got my 2.5 mile run done today... at the track! i thought i was going to die, but i did manage to break 25 minutes! i think it was 24:36 or something like that... not quite what i was REALLY hoping to see, but it was my goal to run 10 minute miles, so i'll take it! i kinda hoped i would be drastically faster if i didn't have to run up and down the monster hill. that didn't happen! i was beat by the end and it was SO boring to run around a little circle 10 times! i kept thinking it would never end!

9/26/11: 45 minutes! I am on week 8, day 1 of the c25k program which is actually only a 28 minute run, but i felt so great today that I had to (wanted to) keep going! the humidity was very low since it had rained all night, but occasionally there was a very light mist, not even enough to feel, but it sure was pretty! i decided after saturday’s run that I was done worrying about distance for awhile and just set out to enjoy the run. I am pleased to report that it was SO much more enjoyable today!

10/7/11: My final day of C25K. I came, I ran, I conquered! Oh yes, you can do it too!

...and now, at the end, I can finally relate to this quote:

"We run, not because we think it is doing us good, but because we enjoy it and cannot help ourselves...The more restricted our society and work become, the more necessary it will be to find some outlet for this craving for freedom. No one can say, 'You must not run faster than this, or jump higher than that.' The human spirit is indomitable."
-Sir Roger Bannister, first runner to run a sub-4 minute mile

So now that you've seen a bit of my journey, why don't you start your own??? If you've started your own, feel free to friend me and/or suggest where I should go from here! :-) Have a wonderful weekend fellow MFP'ers!

Replies

• Emwalker3406
    Emwalker3406 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! This is an awesome NSV :-) I just completed week one today and you inspire me.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Yes...congrats! I just did W4D2 yesterday and still can't fathom being able to run a whole 5k!!! :smile:
  • Picklepower
    Picklepower Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I also completed week 1 yesterday. I am going to repeat it though because I am so out of shape I am still not able to do all the running steps but I have managed to get up to every other one =). Congrats on completing week 9! I can't wait till I have that same feeling =)
  • j_courter
    Options
    Congrats!!! This is an awesome NSV :-) I just completed week one today and you inspire me.

you can do it! just keep putting one foot in front of the other and pretty soon you'll have your own nsv!
  • j_courter
    Options
    Yes...congrats! I just did W4D2 yesterday and still can't fathom being able to run a whole 5k!!! :smile:

you'll be there before you know it!!! i still smile when i read my first journal entry... "i can't believe i ran 60 seconds!"
  • j_courter
    Options
    I also completed week 1 yesterday. I am going to repeat it though because I am so out of shape I am still not able to do all the running steps but I have managed to get up to every other one =). Congrats on completing week 9! I can't wait till I have that same feeling =)

i really admire you for not giving up! some people run in to a little adversity and just throw the baby out with the bathwater. stick with it at your own pace. i know you can do it!!!
  • blue4myeyes
    blue4myeyes Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    What a great story! Thank you so much for sharing it. Like the old you, I have always hated running. I am starting the C25K soon (hopefully this weekend) and you have inspire me to believe that I too can be successful. After one try and the program, I will admit, I was skeptical. I am going to add you now :) Thank you again!!
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Hey There, I just did week 5 day 3 and did my first 20 minute run and i totally relate to you and the "I DID IT!" feelling!

Its great there is this program that helps our bodies and our minds see this is an attainable goal and to keep reaching for it and further...

Never thought iwould say i am loving to run/jog, but I am!
  • jocelynna
    jocelynna Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Great NSV! I start on Monday. I have been testing it out this week though, but don't want to "officially" start until I can begin on a Monday (it's easier for me to track weeks that way since I generally don't get time to myself on the weekends). Looking forward to the day that I can say that I ran 45 minutes!
  • rosalieharris
    rosalieharris Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just printed off the schedule to start this. I am going to do the treadmill schedule. I am really excited! I walk a hour 3 times a week, so I'm feeling pretty good. I guess I will see how my older, overweight body does...lol! Can't wait...you are an inspiration:flowerforyou:
  • majowie
    majowie Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    you made me wanna try this program ! i just printed it.. i hope i'll do it great ..even with the future snow that is coming soon =)
  • j_courter
    Options
    What a great story! Thank you so much for sharing it. Like the old you, I have always hated running. I am starting the C25K soon (hopefully this weekend) and you have inspire me to believe that I too can be successful. After one try and the program, I will admit, I was skeptical. I am going to add you now :) Thank you again!!
    [/quote

ha ha! haters to runners unite! it sounds crazy, but by starting out slowly and working your way up you can do it! it seems like yesterday i couldn't run from one telephone pole to the other, but today i can easily log 35 minutes... 45 on a great day. you can do it! i'd be happy to encourage you along the way!
  • j_courter
    Options
    for all of you who are starting now, i'd suggest creating a support group/ forum on here... my fellow c25k'ers really kept me motivated and also gave a lot of fabulous advice over the course of the 9 weeks! :-) i :heart: them all!
  • j_courter
    Options
    Hey There, I just did week 5 day 3 and did my first 20 minute run and i totally relate to you and the "I DID IT!" feelling!

Its great there is this program that helps our bodies and our minds see this is an attainable goal and to keep reaching for it and further...

Never thought iwould say i am loving to run/jog, but I am!

congratulations on doing week 5 day 3! that was really the turning point for me! the first two days of week 6 kicked my butt, but i found that it was actually EASIER to run 20 minutes straight than to break it up by stopping and starting. what a crazy feeling! keep up the great work! you're almost at the finish line! :-)
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Great job! It is an accomplishment, especially for those of us who are NOT runners :)

I am starting Week 8 on Sunday. My sister started C25K, and I joined her at the end of Week 2. We do it 6 days/week, so we do each workout twice (though the last 3 weeks are just long runs). Anyway, I have yet to successfully complete any of the long runs without walking - and I do keep up a good walking pace - but I am improving. I can go 10 minutes before I have to walk, and it's totally mental, not physical. I have the strength to keep running but just get bored!

But I am impressed that I can run for 10 minutes without dying, and my breathing is TOTALLY under control... when I joined my sister at the end of week 2, I think I had to do 90-second runs and could barely do it. I remember being nervous about 5-minute runs, and in retrospect I think 5 minutes sounds easy!

I am glad to see someone else who considered themselves a non-runner succeed at her goal AND exceed it!

Having running partners definitely helps, as you say! I get up at 5:45AM and meet up with my sister at her house, since we both have young kids (so the kids aren't up yet, and our husbands are still in our respective homes, still sleeping) and don't want to run at night. I definitely would not have continued to get up that early 6x/week were I not meeting up with her, since I am far from a morning person!

Thanks for sharing your story!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Also, how is your body feeling/looking? I haven't had *that* much progress on the scale since starting C25K, but the physical differences are amazing :)
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    well done! c25k is fab! wouldnt be running without it!
  • katieruns
    Options
    Just finished W4D2 this morning. End of next week is scaring the tar out of me!! OMGoodness!!!
  • j_courter
    Options
    Also, how is your body feeling/looking? I haven't had *that* much progress on the scale since starting C25K, but the physical differences are amazing :)

i honestly haven't weighed myself for quite some time. my thighs and calves are def. more tone! i just love that i can run up and down stairs without feeling winded! :-)
  • MissMollieK
    MissMollieK Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Congrats- I plan to try this program once I recuperate from surgery I just went through. I am super pumped! I just hope my knees handle the running! Really excited to build up a higher cardio endurance! Just downloaded a great app for my itouch/iphone ....Should be a great resource!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!