Whats a good Appetite Suppressor?

Options
2»

Replies

• Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    In my experience, they aren't good and can have some horrid side effects.

Heart palpitations, mood swings, dizzyness.

Better to exercise and eat healthily :)

I drink tea or water to help my cravings... or i indulge in small amounts!

All the best!
  • reneehend
    Options
    I run and lift and am voraciously hungry after a workout. I find that a protein shake stops me from devouring everything in sight.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of Veggies and lean protein :-) Your prob getting more hungry because your not eating enough, the wrong foods and cause appetite to be stronger and doing tons of cardio will make it go up too.
  • hazelmae123
    hazelmae123 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Coffee, water, Yogi Fasting tea.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    You might try konjac (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konjac). No calorie, ALL FIBER plant derivative that absorbs something like The most common way to buy it is in "miracle noodles" or other similar "shirataki noodle" products, or you can buy the "cake" kind in japanese groceries.

I put the cakes in a food processor and whirr it up until it's about rice sized, and then add about a tablespoon to oatmeal or a fruit smoothie at breakfast. VERRY filling because it's ALL fiber.

You can sometimes find the powder sold on line as a diabetic glucose stabilizer because the fiber in it helps balance out sugar peaks and valleys.

It's weird stuff, but definitely and appetite suppressant!
  • losethechalupa
    losethechalupa Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not. WATER!

I have gotten into the habit of chugging cold water during times of the day where I am known to snack. You have to pay attention to your food intake. what time of day are you craving something so NOT good for you? Are you truly hungry or are you just bored, tired, etc.

I am not against taking supplements if thats what you really need to help you get started (no judgement) but try the water and a peice of your favorite fruit first. I have found that it fills my stomach and Im good for awhile.

Now as far as not wanting that candy bar...thats a different story. If you want it, you will still want it after you have surpressed your appetite since most of us eat the not so good for us stuff even when we arent hungry.

So although I can not recommend a supressor, consider whether you really need one or are you just ignoring the signals that tell you that you are full. (which get lazy after so many years of being ignored) In order to make them start to work again, you have to eat slower to give your brain a chance to realize that you have had enough.

tip: Eat 1/2 of your food and wrap the rest up, and walk away. If you are still hungry 20 minutes later go back and eat some more. You have to be honest with yourself as the whether you really are hungry after the 20 minutes or do you just want more food because its was delish.

Count your calories, watch your sodium intake and find a plan that works for you. Goodluck!
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    EXERCISE!!! The BEST appetite suppressor there is! :)

Exactly! I am not hungry after I work out. When you feel hungry get up and do something, straighten up the house, do laundry or go for a walk. It will take your mind off of food. Good luck
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    If you eat smaller meals but more frequently your stomach will shrink a little so it will take less food to make you full. Also...water or tea are great, even coffee if you don't put a bunch of cream and sugar in it.

But honestly...if you're hungry, eat. Your body knows what it needs just don't overdo it! :flowerforyou:
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    a gallon of ice cold water and a straw.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Food is great appetite suppresor ;)

I don't mix stuff with water, just drink lots of it when I'm hungry. If I'm still hungry 10 minutes after drinking a liter of water...well then it's time for a meal.
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I pay close attention to how I feel after I eat things. I have learned that when I have a meal that combines protein, carbs, and fat (such as crackers, cheese, fruit; or pb&j; or granola, fruit + yogurt), I feel full and satisfied until my next meal. I attempt to follow this guideline at all meals.

I have found that certain trigger foods make me want to keep eating. Namely sugar, or carb loading without protein. For example, I recently had a ton of calories left over and so I treated myself to spaghetti with marinara sauce (a classic favorite of mine). I ate a huge plate and was surprised that though my stomach was full, I did not feel full and I wanted to keep eating.

To my suggestion is that as you log what you eat, notice how you feel. Make a note of it. Evenutally you will discover foods that "work" for you.

Good luck.
  • shawnscott5
    shawnscott5 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth or carry around a little bottle of mouth wash. Teeth will be clean and healthy, and nothing tastes good after that!
  • momocurti
    momocurti Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Eat small meals (200 to 300 cal. each) that include complex carbs and protein every 3 hours. You will NEVER feel hungry.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    EXERCISE!!! The BEST appetite suppressor there is! :)

Exactly! I am not hungry after I work out. When you feel hungry get up and do something, straighten up the house, do laundry or go for a walk. It will take your mind off of food. Good luck

Actually - I'm never hungry after cardio but after strength training I am STARVING - sometimes for as much as 48 hours afterwards.
    Eat small meals (200 to 300 cal. each) that include complex carbs and protein every 3 hours. You will NEVER feel hungry.

I know this works great for some people but this works horribly for me, I am miserable and anxious and constantly hungry. Of course hte one time I tried it was south beach which is ALSO super low carb/fat for a while and that probably didn't help.

what kandrews says is best - everyone is different. Play around and see what works for you.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Perfect appetite suppressor.... breaking your day into 5-6 meals
  • ttunteeya
    ttunteeya Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Seriously try apple cider viniger in warm water!
    make sure to get the organisc stuff, cheap and healthy!
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Sometimes our bodies struggle to tell hunger and thirst apart. If you're hungry, drink a glass of water and wait twenty minutes. If you're still hungry, then eat something - there are plenty of foods out there that are very low in calories (e.g. fruit, veg) so you don't actually NEED to suppress your appetite. Also, hunger exists for a reason - it's your body's way of telling you that it needs nutrients. If you want to make lifestyle changes in order to lose weight and become healthier, using appetite suppressants is not the way to go because once you stop using them, you will be hungry again and you won't have developed healthy ways of managing your appetite.
  • hrobinson416
    hrobinson416 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Bananas....Im always full after a banana and it last a long time for me. As long as I dont workout right after eating it :-) Also, lots of liquids - like water.
  • cownancy
    cownancy Posts: 291
    Options
    Cutting down carbs and sugars and trying to be in bed before 1AM. Carbs, sugars and hormones during the late night hours all increase hunger. If you can try to keep your carbs under 100 grams or at the very most 130 grams with no serving more than 23-25 grams and your sugar no more than 14 grams per serving, you should find a decrease in hunger. Drinking water or flavored water. Eating vegetables might also fill you up without costing too many calories, carbs or sugars.

This advice was given to me by my weight loss doctor/surgeon and my nutritionists.

I would avoid any over the counter appetite suppressants. If you can't do it naturally, then you are not likely to keep the weight off and it's worse to drastically zig zag in weight than it is to stay obese.

Best of luck!
  • smb0701
    smb0701 Posts: 234
    Options
    Typing in a bad meal in MFP and then seeing the calorie results!!

lol: :laugh: