How did you FINALLY lose weight after months of failure?

Options

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I failed for years and years and years... and got sicker and sicker and sicker. Until I changed WHAT I eat.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    You only mention working out. You count out work a bad diet. If you want to lose weight, you must be in a calorie defecit.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Committed to logging everything, and did it with honesty. I've been super active for years, but had no idea how much I was eating. Logging takes out the weird emotional element and gives you data and feedback. If I gain or lose again, I will know exactly why. No mystery.
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I am the same - one week without a loss or worse yet, 1/2 GAIN, and I get so depressed. But it's important to stick with it, I just think that maintaining is not a gain and you can consider the week neutral. There is no reason you can't lose the next.
    I think I went into starvation mode, I lost 7 lbs the first three weeks of my diet, eating 1300 or less per day and sometimes exercising until I fainted. Now I am from 1300 to 1400 a day and not losing at all. It's kind of depressing that I need to starve to lose though...
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Dunno. Been stalled for the last month myself.
  • heywithers
    heywithers Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I quit taking advice from people on MFP
    and ta da! I'm losing weight again

lol that's sorta where i am at right now- every one has a different plan, solution, opinion and it literally starts to hurt my brain trying to figure out what to believe so i try not to stay in the forums too much
  • grau62000ameze
    Options
    I was at a plateau for a good two years, always stuck at 155 give or take 5 lbs after losing 30 lbs from my high weight. I joined MFP and the plateau continued for a while. But once I started logging EVERYTHING, getting more involved in the community, and joining a couple challenges I broke through it.

Actually, the catalyst was getting dumped by my fiance. Kinda fell right off after that. At first I didn't make major changes so I guess the stress jump started things but the other stuff kept it going.
    bump
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I tried to workout for YEARS trying to lose weight with almost no results. Once I started counting calories and tracking my food, the weight couldn't come off fast enough.
  • speediejane
    speediejane Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    bump
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    bump
  • swissbrit
    swissbrit Posts: 201
    Options
    This article helps a lot of people get motivated. A LOT of people who lose a lot, will often lose steam & gain back. But the good news is you can turn it around anytime you want.

The Wt. Loss Minute
    By Linda Spangle, RN, MA
    February 14, 2011

I'm trying so hard! (Motivation Series)

Becky looked discouraged. As she sank into the chair in my
    office, she said, 'I don't know what to do. I'm trying so hard to
    lose weight, but I'm not getting anywhere. I can't figure out
    what's wrong. Based on how hard I'm trying I should be losing a
    lot more than I am.'

As I looked at my notes on our conversations over the past few
    weeks, I decided to take a guess at Becky's problem. 'Let's
    review a little,' I said. 'How have you been doing with your
    eating plan?'

Becky thought for a second. 'Some days are OK, but lots of times
    I get stressed or frustrated during the day, and by evening, I
    end up having wine or ice cream, or both.'

'So you're not following your plan very well?' I asked. 'I guess
    not,' she replied. 'This past week I probably was on my program
    only three days. But I'm trying so hard to lose weight!'

'How's your exercise plan going?'

'Not as consistent as I'd like. I only walked two days this week.
    By the end of the day, I'm usually so tired that I can't get
    myself to do it. But I'm trying so hard to lose weight!'

I glanced back at my notes. 'You also planned to work on your
    abdominal exercises, go to a yoga class, and take time each day
    for some meditation or reading. How are you doing with those
    goals?'

'None of them happened. I'm just so busy, and everything gets in
    the way. The days keep getting away from me, and I end up
    skipping all of my goals and going to bed.'

But then Becky exclaimed again, 'But, I'm trying so hard to lose
    weight!'

Are you seeing yourself in this story? I think we all have times
    when we WANT to lose weight, and we convince ourselves that we're
    TRYING. But like Becky, we don't follow through with any actions
    that would move us toward our goals.

It's like saying you want an 'A' in a class at school, but being
    too busy, too tired or too stressed to open the textbook or work
    on your research paper. No action equals no outcome.

Interested or committed?

Many of you are familiar with this next concept from Day 2 of the
    book '100 Days of Weight Loss' but I think it's one we all need
    to be reminded of now and then.

If you tend to start and stop every time you diet, you may want
    to look at the difference between being INTERESTED and being
    COMMITTED.

Interest slips away quickly

When you're just interested in dieting, you tend to stay with
    your plans only until something better comes along. For example,
    you may decide that you're interested in losing weight, but when
    someone brings doughnuts to work, you quickly go off your diet.

You also depend on seeing results to keep you on target. So, as
    long as the scale keeps moving, you stay motivated. But if you
    hit a plateau or you don't see much progress for a few weeks, you
    may throw your program out the window.

And when you struggle, you blame everyone but yourself. You
    accuse your friends of ruining your diet because they eat potato
    chips in front of you.

In addition, you fall into 'if only' thinking, saying things
    like, 'If only I had more time, more money, a new job, or a
    supportive spouse, then I'd be able to stay on my plan.

Committed means NO MATTER WHAT!
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    honestly after depression and misery of failing seemingly forever I had a revelation..went shopping filled my kitchen with peanut MandMs..4 pints of ben and jerrys ice cream Nutella loads of bagels and Breads..and I sat there and made peace with myself with food ...I ate my *kitten* off literally and lost all the weight by never dieting agin having the time of my life and ultimately finding balance!
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    and not months of failure like 15 years of diet HELL!!!!!!!!!
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Im eating more food went from 1500 to 2149 cals. For the amount of exercise I do per week including lifting heavy I wasnt compensating enough food wise. I also changed what I ate for breakfast adding more calories.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I spent years "dieting" and the first time I would "fail" and eat something "bad", that would turn into "Well, I've screwed up this day already, may as well take today off", which in turn would turn into a week...a month...

You get the idea.

This time, I really stuck with it for a few weeks and then I cracked and ate something I felt like I shouldn't have and rather than letting it drag me off course, I forgave myself and kept moving forward. I still have bad days...that's life...but it isn't the end of the world. Just keep swimming! :)

Also, taking progress pics and measurements every month or so has been huge for me. Even when the scale isn't going where I want it to, the pics show the progress. For example: back in late October I weighed 171 pounds. Now I'm more like 175. If the scale was my only measure of success, I'd be pretty dicouraged by that...but I was a size 14 at 171 and I'm a 10 now. :)

Exercise has also been crucial. That's something I never took seriously before, but now it keeps me on track. I'm not hugely likely to eat something stupid after all the effort I put into working out because, frankly I'm pretty lazy. LOL
  • meggiemoo217
    meggiemoo217 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Make sure you keep track of your body measurements. I have gone weeks without losing weight but will lose a bunch of inches off various parts of the body. So don't let the non-shifting of the scale upset you! As long as you are doing the right things, it will move.

5499814.png

Very true for me too
  • Natalya129
    Natalya129 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What helps me is taking it one day at a time. I get overwhelmed if I think about my ultimate goal (not to mention falling into the trap of thinking, "oh, that's so far off and I still have a bit of weight to lose, so one splurge won't hurt."). I focus on today and plan out what I'm going to eat and when, and what I'm going to do for my workout and when. Then I do my best to stick to that plan. If I fail, well... that sucks, but rather than beating myself up over it I'll just get back on that plan the next day and focus on getting it right. Take it one day at a time, and eventually one day will turn into a week which turns into five weeks, and so on.

The other thing is setting aside time for my workout no matter what. I like to think of it as my "me time," where for one hour of the day I can focus on making myself better and not all the things I have to do at work or home. I loved that article that was posted earlier, about being interested vs. being committed. Don't just think about working out, MAKE the time to do it, no matter what! And for me, being consistent about working out has made me want to eat healthier, so that I have more energy for my workouts, which in turn makes me want to continue to eat healthy so I can push myself more and continue to get stronger and faster. Eventually it turns into a cycle, and eventually you'll see and feel the results. You can do it, stick with it!
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lavender_fairie
    lavender_fairie Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My workouts are exactly 30 mins long- thank u, pp, for mentioning what a trainer said. I'm upping them to 45.

I like what another pp said about "zig-zagging" calories. I think for me that might would work.

And I know it's hard to know which plan/method/etc to follow bc there are so many differing ppl and opinions, but I bet certain things resonate with some, and other ideas resonate with others. I appreciate ppl throwing out ideas, even if I'm doubtful that they will work for me. For example, I don't want to eat nothing but "clean" food. I would fall off that wagon SOOO fast! I had a Kitkat today and it was freaking glorious! And it fit into my calories for the day so I'm hoping it works out. :P I'm ingesting way less sugar than I used to, so I'm hoping I don't have to become a rabbit to make this all work.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose a single pound between April and August. Then, I decided to cut my cardio in half and started lifting heavier for a longer duration. Only lost 2lbs last month...but it was SO nice to see the scale going in the right direction instead of staying still!!