I think I'm going to be sick....

Options
Anyone out there believe in "cheat" days? I got this idea from a friend. Today was my first entire cheat day. While it might be the key for some, I think I might stick with a cheat meal instead of a cheat day. I didn't even eat that much today, but the quality of foods I ate was so terrible that I feel sick to my stomach. I learned my lesson!

Replies

• mariahhatfield
    Options
    I definitely had to change from a cheat day to cheat meal. My body couldn't handle all of the nasty things I was putting in it throughout the whole day! It's tough learning the hard way!
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I did well all day and kept under my calories and all.. and then blew it by caving to a huge craving. So I consider it my cheat day. Back at it tomorrow. I think it's ok to have cheat days or cheat meal.. after all this is a way of life and not a diet.. so we are allowed to goover your calories once in a while.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I take one day per week where I don't track food intake but I still eat relatively close to my cals/macro goals. Today was my first exception to that but I probably still stayed within about 500 of maintenance. 3 bowls of chili, 3/4ths of a pizza w/shrimp, and some buffalo wings. I probably didn't top 3k calories so in that regard it's a pretty pathetic day to label a cheat.

As for cheating regularly, I think it's important from a psychological standpoint and there are also physical benefits to cheating in some circumstances (regulation of thyroid hormones that can get thrown off after long periods of caloric restriction). That being said, cheats CAN be detrimental if they are taken out of hand.
  • leemarie324
    leemarie324 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i used to until i realized that after i had a "cheat" day, i had to spend all week losing the weight i put on...now i just have a "cheat" meal once in awhile..
  • purpletrillium
    Options
    Me too. I can blame it on it being my sister's birthday, but it's my fault for eating the cheesecake and big dinner. Now I just took a few tums, my tummy hurts!
  • idiocracy
    idiocracy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I agree with a cheat meal once every week or every two weeks, but once you start eating healthy and exercising, your body will not crave any of those "cheat" meals. Don't diet, just change your entire lifestyle in matter of nutrition. And never give up exercise!
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I've been toying with the idea of a cheat day (ever since I had a dream about taking one), but so far, I haven't. Sorry it made you sick.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I had a cheat "meal" last night for the first time in a long time, and I had a stomach ache. I ate a huge burger ("cowboy burger" at Applebees), fries, and a treat from Dairy Queen, and I felt bloated, tired, achy, etc. It's amazing how quickly our bodies adapt to our new lifestyles!
  • GkMusic
    GkMusic Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    i used to until i realized that after i had a "cheat" day, i had to spend all week losing the weight i put on...now i just have a "cheat" meal once in awhile..

This is what I have been worrying about all day!
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd go with a cheat meal...and make sure it still has some redeeming values or it will make you sick.
  • GkMusic
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas on this!
  • jcdfish
    jcdfish Posts: 31
    Options
    If I'm going to cheat, it's just with extra food nowadays, since I've discovered how bad I feel when I eat junk food nowadays. So, I'll have extra of my favorite healthy food. But like you are thinking, not all day, but a meal. I never even have dessert anymore. Sugar makes me feel sick anymore. Oddly, I have always had a tremendous sweet tooth. But can't anymore.

And greasy fast foods make me queasy since I quit eating them.

I do enjoy my healthy foods, so just eat a bit more. I don't have enough variety in my eating lately. I need to get on the stick and find some great low glycemic ideas.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I do a "cheat meal", and I still log it. My regular calorie allotment is 1200 a day. On my "cheat meal" day, I stay under 2,000. As long as the calories are under that, I don't worry about fat, sugar, carbs, etc. I eat really small healthy things throughout the day so I can save as many calories as I need for my cheat meal. It's also my day off from excercise. I find that having a whole day can really throw me off track. The meal allows me to satisfy cravings but not go totally crazy and feel like I've messed up my week. I also find that if I allow myself to have whatever I want for that meal, it keeps me on track during the week (I have it on Fridays). If I'm really craving something, I know I can have it on Friday, and I don't have to "stop dieting."
  • GkMusic
    Options
    If I'm going to cheat, it's just with extra food nowadays, since I've discovered how bad I feel when I eat junk food nowadays. So, I'll have extra of my favorite healthy food. But like you are thinking, not all day, but a meal. I never even have dessert anymore. Sugar makes me feel sick anymore. Oddly, I have always had a tremendous sweet tooth. But can't anymore.

And greasy fast foods make me queasy since I quit eating them.

I do enjoy my healthy foods, so just eat a bit more. I don't have enough variety in my eating lately. I need to get on the stick and find some great low glycemic ideas.

I also have a sweet tooth...huge! Good ideas with eating just a little more of the healthy foods you like.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I also have a sweet tooth...huge! Good ideas with eating just a little more of the healthy foods you like.

Me too. I crave it, give in, then feel terrible. I've found brownies do the trick, as long as you have enough self-control (or exercise calories, haha) to stop after just one or two. I don't feel as bad after eating a brownie as I do after eating a candy bar or something of that nature.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I think cheat days work for a lot of people. But I consider myself to be pretty weak willed. Which is how I ended up obese. For me, I have to embrace total prohibition of all things bad. Works for me. We all have to find our own path.
  • GkMusic
    Options
    Yah I would probably definitely have to make sure that it was well within my calories or not even go near it. Sugar.......Grrr!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

I'll buy frozen berries from Sams Club (blackberries+raspberries+blueberries in a huge bag). Add 1 scoop of vanilla whey, 1/2c of any milk, (soy milk, almond milk, regular old ghetto milk) and stir it until the whey turns into a thick mess. Add 1 to 2c of berries depending on your calorie room. You'll end at about 200-300kcal and 25g+ protein, and it satisfies my sweet tooth.

The whey freezes when you stir in the berries, and it ends up coating the berries with a nice frosty and tasty goodness.
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I've been doing very well with not cheating... until 15 mins ago when I had quite the chunk of Mackinaw City fudge :( and now I feel kind of crummy mentally and physically. I couldn't go a whole day of cheating though, I'd feel like butt, I think.
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I'll buy frozen berries from Sams Club (blackberries+raspberries+blueberries in a huge bag). Add 1 scoop of vanilla whey, 1/2c of any milk, (soy milk, almond milk, regular old ghetto milk) and stir it until the whey turns into a thick mess. Add 1 to 2c of berries depending on your calorie room. You'll end at about 200-300kcal and 25g+ protein, and it satisfies my sweet tooth.

The whey freezes when you stir in the berries, and it ends up coating the berries with a nice frosty and tasty goodness.

I gotta try that!