Anyone else NEED to exercise in private?

2»

Replies

• I even shut the DOGS away when I work out! I can't be doing with someone or something running around while I'm trying to focus.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    I'm not a Mum, but it would seem to me that it should be possible to teach your kids to treat you with respect? What does anyone else think? (obviously toddlers/ preschoolers are more of an issue but I'd think 5-6 and up could cope).

I don't think they should be smacking you and laughing at you (with you, fine, at you, not fine). And their requests for food can wait 30 min? Or they could be fed a snack beforehand and told that's all you're getting for till dinner time and whinging will be punished. Surely? Or am I deluded?

Deluded! With all due respect, kids aren't packages that fit into nice little slots of time and behaviour. Teaching respect is a lifelong lesson and, as much as we may wish, we are not the only influence in our kids' lives.

I totally get what the other mums are saying about exercising around little ones!
  • jamielynn1981
    jamielynn1981 Posts: 232 Member
    Absolutely! Thats why I get up at 4:45 am to get my workout on!!
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    I think working out in private is a great idea with kids. On the rare occasion of me working out I always tell my daughter "you can workout with me, but don't talk to me, don't touch me, and don't ask me any questions while I'm doing it or you will be yelled at. If you're bored with that, go play in your room" I'm mean.
  • momcindy
    momcindy Posts: 194 Member
    Me too. I've never liked exercising in front of anyone which is why I have never joined a gym. It's not just in front of my family but in front of others, period. I just want to concentrate on what I'm doing without interruption or judgment.

Now don't laugh, but I bought a used Hip Hop Abs DVD on eBay and am having so much fun doing it. I can do the moves but at 100 pounds overweight and at age 54, you can imagine that my version looks a bit different! Okay, a lot different, but in my mind I'm the hip hop queen for 20 minutes or so. lol! No way am I going to do THAT workout in front of anyone. Dance like no one's looking has taken on a whole new meaning for me. lol!

Hugs,

Cindy
  • I jusst don't like it when my husband is home while working out. I don't want the distractions or the "way to go" or "keep up the good work out" encouragement while I'm trying to focus. I guess I considerate it an intrusion to some degree,
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    I know what you mean which why i get up at 5 during the week to workout and also started running.