Wow, my "good" lunch at Red Robin was 900

Options
13»

Replies

• Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    What's with all the 2011 threads getting bumped up today?

My plan for eating out is always looking at the menu beforehand, so I go in with a plan of what might fit into my goals for the day. Usually don't go out more than once a week, so if I'm over one day, I'm not too worried as its my weekly deficit that I really care about.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I checked it out online when a friend mentioned it. I found that it was too caloric for me, based upon the online nutritional info. I've never bothered to go in.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Old thread is old. But then I realized it was mine under my old name. LOL. How cute was I when I actually cared?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Old thread is old. But then I realized it was mine under my old name. LOL. How cute was I when I actually cared?

No! I don't believe it.

My mind. Shattered. I don't know what to believe anymore.

Seriously. I'm not being sarcastic or joking at all. I'm actually really surprised.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Red Robin is my hubby and son's favorite restaurant. Its really hard to eat there though because everything is such high calories. There a lot of places we eat that I have found a way to eat there with a healthier option but I still struggle at Red Robin. So instead of trying that is someplace we rarely go anymore and when I do I have what I want and work it in somehow.

^This

OP (2013) - I think you made a good choice to eat carefully when you did not know the calorie amount of what you were having.

But, overall, what we're looking for is an overall weekly deficit. Like the poster above said, you can find a way to work it out. I think it's a good idea to have what you want so you don't feel deprived.

If you have to eat out at restaurants all the time, that's rough, and do whatever you can to save calories (bun-less or lettuce wrap, no sauces, whatever), but for people who only go to eat or get take out sometimes, you can treat a heavy calorie meal like a 'zig' and 'zag' on other days of your week, netting a bit under your daily calorie goal until you balanced out.

I want to be clear, that I do not mean a 'oh no, I ate 1000 calories over my daily goal, so tomorrow I'll only eat 600 calories'. I mean for the next 3-6 days, you can cut back a couple hundred calories or net under with extra exercise until you balance out your weekly deficit.

What kills me about restaurant food is the sodium. Sodium is in everything that I like. >_< You can find 2k sodium lurking in a restaurant hamburger or an 8 oz burrito.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I know. I'm ashamed. I think I had just started lifting again too on Oct 2.
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine told me restaurants were supposed to have nutritional info on hand...I've asked for it several places now. I ate at PF Chang's today and they had a menu with all the info on it. I had soup, salad, part of an appetizer and my whole entree for about 700 calories.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I find that it's the high sodium number that worries me with restaurant meals. On a different note, considering we all go to a restaurant sometimes, you made a good choice.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Whenever I get a burger from a nice restaurant it's always over 1,000 calories. I take it off the bun though and eat it with a knife and fork. No bread usually saves at least 300 calories sometimes more.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

Lol blast from the past ;)