Can we stop trying to be THIN and SKINNY?

Options
I am so sick and tired of hearing girls about wanting to be SKINNY and THIN. I guess it shouldn't bother me as much- but let's focus on becoming better role models for our future generations as well as ourselves.

THIN girls may fit into size 0 pants, but THIN girls usually can't lift a case of water onto the top shelf.

SKINNY girls may look good in a bikini but that doesn't mean you're healthy.

Please, females of the world. Let's work on becoming healthy, happy women. The number on the scale doesn't make us who we are- but we SHOULD be healthy, strong and happy.

Replies

• i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    Why would you put a case of water on the top shelf?
  • Whitneylol
    Options

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but either way- maybe I want my water on the top shelf? Lol, it's where I store it in my garage?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Personally i dont think 'thin' is a bad word, i am thin, but i am also fairly strong (for a girl) so i am happy, and healthy!
  • Stacey_Lorraine
    Options
    I am so sick and tired of hearing girls about wanting to be SKINNY and THIN. I guess it shouldn't bother me as much- but let's focus on becoming better role models for our future generations as well as ourselves.

THIN girls may fit into size 0 pants, but THIN girls usually can't lift a case of water onto the top shelf.

Please, females of the world. Let's work on becoming healthy, happy women. The number on the scale doesn't make us who we are- but we SHOULD be healthy, strong and happy.

So true
  • stephm112
    stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    i sure as hell dont want to be skinny. i love my curves, just need to tweak them a bit ;)
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Strong is the new thin?! When I first started trying to lose weight, back at the tender age of 16, I did so by going for jogs around my local oval, I used to like saying to myself "I may be fat, but at least I'll be fit" :-D
  • LemonSocks
    LemonSocks Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I think people tend to use the words 'skinny' and 'thin' in the same way I say 'slender' and 'slim'. I don't think everyone who says they want to be skinny means it in such a crude fashion.
  • Whitneylol
    Options
    I think people tend to use the words 'skinny' and 'thin' in the same way I say 'slender' and 'slim'. I don't think everyone who says they want to be skinny means it in such a crude fashion.

You're right, and I should have put that I meant what *I* think of when I think of thin. I just feel like girls focus too much on weight and not on overall health. I am healthier and stronger than most of my friends and I'm like 50lbs overweight. Just my .02!
  • Whitneylol
    Options
    i sure as hell dont want to be skinny. i love my curves, just need to tweak them a bit ;)

SAME here!
  • kezpot1407
    Options
    I was having this conversation yesterday with my mum and sis and we all agreed we don't want to be skinny just slimmer and curvy.
  • SlimSadieG
    SlimSadieG Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I prefer the word "slim"... (Hence the screen name!)

I don't wanna see no bones...
  • Whitneylol
    Options
    Personally i dont think 'thin' is a bad word, i am thin, but i am also fairly strong (for a girl) so i am happy, and healthy!

I assume thin=sickly, lol but 'petite' to me is someone small but still strong? It all just depends, I know we all have different meanings!
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but either way- maybe I want my water on the top shelf? Lol, it's where I store it in my garage?

I was serious. It just seems like a lot of work, and it could be dangerous. Please be careful if you only put your water there because you want to >_<
  • Whitneylol
    Options
    I prefer the word "slim"... (Hence the screen name!)

I don't wanna see no bones...

ME neither girl!! I like jiggles in the right places!
  • Whitneylol
    Options

I was serious. It just seems like a lot of work, and it could be dangerous. Please be careful if you only put your water there because you want to >_<

It's not a lot of work to me, it's pretty easy and it's not like I'm getting on a ladder to do so, it's just above my eye level, never had a problem. I dont really see it as a hazard, but thanks for your concern :)
  • woo1324
    woo1324 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I get what you mean one of the things that really bugs me is how in all the weight loss campagins being introduced by the goverment (im in australia so it might be diff there)

they are always saying being "overweight" is unhealthy or using terms like unhealthy weight obese etc etc which is all true of course and those words should be used when talking about weight issues, but i also think it would be helpful for people to hear more words like healthy weight, healthy bmi and fit when reffering to what they should be

people automatically think of image when they hear words like obese rather than thinking of health i think its better to encourage people to become fit healthy and free of disease rather than encourage them to simply just not be fat
  • jojonesnz
    jojonesnz Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    its a real shame that marketing in the past has been geared to very slim athletic models.
    i am stoked that the rides are turning with the likes of jlo, beyonce , halle berry, kim kardashian, pin kand many more that embrace their curves:)
    I love my curves i just want to tone up so that i dont have a layer of unhealthy fat sitting ontop of all my muscles!
    i think if everyone focussed on a healthy lifestlye the weightloss would naturally happen and we would all be at our perfect dhape and size:)
  • Whitneylol
    Options
    its a real shame that marketing in the past has been geared to very slim athletic models.
    i am stoked that the rides are turning with the likes of jlo, beyonce , halle berry, kim kardashian, pin kand many more that embrace their curves:)
    I love my curves i just want to tone up so that i dont have a layer of unhealthy fat sitting ontop of all my muscles!
    i think if everyone focussed on a healthy lifestlye the weightloss would naturally happen and we would all be at our perfect dhape and size:)

I agree! But words like healthy and strong and fit don't sell as much as thin, skinny, and all that! Sad, but true.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    The other night on TV was lady who had lost like 14st and her entire middle was just loose saggy skin, from losing weight so fast, the only way to fix it was plastic surgery so when they finished yes she looked slimmer but had massive scar the length from elbow to armpits under each arm and then across her middle.

Whilst I'm sure they will probably fade over time they will still noticable cos of the length of them in proportion to her new body.

I don't want to lose my womanly curves (my partners have always enjoyed my boobs in particular!) but I would like to lose my tummy just to make sitting all day in my chair more comfortable and less painful on my lower back.

As we can't spot reduce my arms are also getting thinner and my wrists were skinny to start with as wasn't over weight all over.. its all around my abdomen... gonna try some zaggora hot pants see if I can't try and lose more around tummy region just from that area sweating the most all the time! ... without my arms getting over skinny from losing all over.. otherwise I'm gonna end up looking like ET!!
  • JCubbins
    Options

I've been thin my whole life and I couldn't lift 2kg bag of sugar. Now I'm working on being a fully commited runner, and I can honestly say that I love my body and what it's capable of doing.
    It's such a shame girls and women want to become unhealthily thin and fragile instead of being strong and fit.