Can we stop trying to be THIN and SKINNY?

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's something that was touched on in another thread that was locked yesterday.... The difference between LOOKING fit and actually BEING fit.

There's that horrible saying, "You can never be too rich or too thin." I can't speak for the rich part (and honestly, if anyone wants to help me out and let me see how the other half lives, I will accept donations through pay pal! :laugh: ) but I've been too thin and it sucked.

I've seen young, thin girls struggling to put a case of water (24 16oz bottles, so... 24 pounds) from the shopping cart to their car. That's sad. And I know it sounds really judgmental, but I bet if I asked that girl if she considered lifting weights, she'd have laughed at me and say, 'I don't want to bulk up!"
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Not everyone that is "skinny" is unhealthy
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of the word "skinny" but I always thought "thin" was okay and didn't have the negative aspects that"skinny" does.
  • 1grammie
    1grammie Posts: 163
    Options
    I think the ultimate goal is always healthy. For the young they are probably more concerned with how they look. As we grow older the focus shifts somewhat (we still want to look good) to health.

I have two granddaughters and I try to be very careful what I say around them as I don't like what young girls are often told that to be thin = popular. We seem to be a nation of extremes. We condemm being obese and idolize super skinny models.
  • galaxyhearts
    galaxyhearts Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    So really, this is just an argument of semantics?

It seems like nobody wants to be unhealthy, but from where I stand there isn't anything wrong with wanting to look like you've put the work in that you have by being thin.

I don't understand anyone taking a negative connotation from the word "thin" or "skinny" - to me, they're adjectives and if I wanted to offend someone those aren't the words that I would use personally. I do think it's a little offensive to say that "skinny" people can't do any heavy lifting, because that isn't true of all people under a certain weight. Let's not forget that there are plenty of lazy "curvy" people, who probably can't do any heavy lifting either. In fact, your weight isn't directly correlated with your strength at all.

I just think it's a little ignorant to call people out on wanting to look a certain way and making the assumption that it means they'd be unhealthy or weak to do so.

I'm not trying to start an argument, I just wanted to register my opinion.
  • lookpretty
    lookpretty Posts: 276 Member
    Options

It seems like nobody wants to be unhealthy, but from where I stand there isn't anything wrong with wanting to look like you've put the work in that you have by being thin.

I don't understand anyone taking a negative connotation from the word "thin" or "skinny" - to me, they're adjectives and if I wanted to offend someone those aren't the words that I would use personally. I do think it's a little offensive to say that "skinny" people can't do any heavy lifting, because that isn't true of all people under a certain weight. Let's not forget that there are plenty of lazy "curvy" people, who probably can't do any heavy lifting either. In fact, your weight isn't directly correlated with your strength at all.

I just think it's a little ignorant to call people out on wanting to look a certain way and making the assumption that it means they'd be unhealthy or weak to do so.

THIS

and Im not really sure why being able to tote around cases of water should be a goal
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    and Im not really sure why being able to tote around cases of water should be a goal

Oh, I don't know... the ability to bring my groceries into my house is pretty high on my priority list! :laugh:
  • nicolewho
    Options
    opening a can of worms ring a bell?
  • nicolewho
    Options
    LOL?!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    SKINNY girls may look good in a bikini but that doesn't mean you're healthy.

There are many skinny girls who look disgusting in a bikini. Only those with toned bodies look great in a bikini.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Water is just an example. Strength is an indicator of health. If you're injury-free and you can't lift 25 lbs with ease, you're not healthy. You may be thin or skinny or whatever term you want to use, but you're likely very nutrient-deficient if 25 lbs is too much to lift from your shopping cart to your trunk or to lift overhead to put on a shelf. It's not even about muscle at that point.
  • NoDairy
    NoDairy Posts: 88
    Options
    I wanna be thin.. my strong man can put the water on the top shelf...(eventhough i can) but gotta make him do something!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm thin and strong. and healthy :)

ps how do you know you're healthier than your thin friends? Have you compared bloodwork?
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options

I don't know what it is......thin bashing in the hope of raising the morale of fat women?

Why engage in thin or other body bashing at all?

The day we evolve out of the reptilian R-cortex need to ostracize and punish those who look “different” from “the aspired-to tribe” will be a welcome one.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

Thank you.
    I'm 103lbs and I can lift a full case of water. Actually water isn't that heavy, not compared to the bags of play sand I buy for my sandbags, or my cholesterol being at 176, or RHR of 56....so yeah...not put all us "skinny" people are unhealthy. Some of us just won the genetic lottery :huh:
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

I don't know what it is......thin bashing in the hope of raising the morale of fat women?

The day we evolve out of the reptilian R-cortex need to ostracize and punish those who look “different” from “the aspired-to tribe” will be a welcome one.

Of course its bashing thin women! I suppose it makes other people feel better to lump us all into the "unhealthy" and "anorexic" category.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Yep, thin bashing is in :) sour grapes
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I am so sick and tired of hearing girls about wanting to be SKINNY and THIN. I guess it shouldn't bother me as much- but let's focus on becoming better role models for our future generations as well as ourselves.

THIN girls may fit into size 0 pants, but THIN girls usually can't lift a case of water onto the top shelf.

SKINNY girls may look good in a bikini but that doesn't mean you're healthy.

Please, females of the world. Let's work on becoming healthy, happy women. The number on the scale doesn't make us who we are- but we SHOULD be healthy, strong and happy.

I get what your saying. I make a point to tell my girls to be strong, and I set the example. My children hate quinoa but eat it because it's healthy. You may not have intended it, but your a little judgemental here. I am a size 0 and I can damn sure lift a case of water over my head. Thin doesn't equate unhealthy. Unhealthy equates unhealthy. A better way to approach this would be to remove "skinny" and "thin" from the equation all together. Lets just put a focus on being fit, healthy, and happy.
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options

Yep, thin bashing is in :) sour grapes

there's a lot of this going on here...