Operation: Sexy Claus Week #4 10.10.11 (Closed Group)

Options

Replies

• maipai21
    maipai21 Posts: 146
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your encouragement!!!

QOD:

I've felt desperate enough to consider lap band surgery and I know several people who have had weight loss surgeries (including my father) but I've also heard some horror stories about it too- my dad's wife, who also had gastric bypass,developed an infection shortly after her surgery and was in the hospital for several weeks. Then there is my friend who had lap band and can't eat rice ever again. Then there are the people who've had gastric bypass TWICE and keep regaining the weight because they haven't dealt with the underlying reason of WHY they are overweight to begin with.

Pills, medifast, etc all fall into the same category to me as weight loss surgery: Instant gratification.

I've determined that weight loss surgery is not for me. My weight loss journey has been quite a battle but along with the process of changing my diet and exercise I've discovered just how strong I am and am becoming. I'm giving myself the tools to succeed for a lifetime and I'm teaching my family how to eat, how to take care of themselves, and how to make their health a priority. It's still a struggle that it seems to be taking FOREVER to lose the weight but in the end I know that I've got what it takes to see this thing out to the end.

Have a great day everyone!
  • healthydoseofglitter
    Options
    bump i am a day behind but I will be back on here later to fill out my questions :)
  • MochaBlues
    MochaBlues Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Give me something that you are going to commit to doing for the next 7 days...with no room for negotiation, and why is this so important to you?

Greetings Ladies!

Well, over the next 7 days, I vow to do SOMETHING each and every day, whether its my Ripped in 30 workout or C25k, or leisurely walking the dog....everyday, I plan to MOVE my body. It's very important to me, as I need to develop the habit to move my body everyday and get healthy!
  • _CHRISTIE_
    _CHRISTIE_ Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I think to each their own...honestly... I am not an advocate of gastrci bypass just because I haven't ever seen any positive outcomes of it personally... a friend of my moms ended up shortly after hers passing away from complications...another girl ended up losing all of her hair that I knew that had it done...etc...and so for different reasons I just don't think it's healthy..I've also seen where people gained all the weight back.... I don't know enough about the lap band to say one way or the other...but think it would be a better option than gastric bypass....

I will be honest and say I have talked w/ my dr about weightloss and in the past taken phentermine which worked great for me... to kinda get my body used to not eating as much... I don't think it's something someone should take long term... and I don't think pills should be an answer to weight loss... I think it's a lifestyle change w/ diet and exercise that ultimately is going to work... but for me in the beginning it was easier to start this w/ help of something curbing my appetite some.... but I think some people use it as a crutch and just use that without changing anything else and expect it to be enough...or go to the extreme with it...and to me that is not healthy at all...

I think to each their own and you ahve to do what works for you... but bottom line is the thing that is going to work best is a complete lifestyle change of your diet and exercise routine... nothing else will work better or more...thats just my opinion!
  • jreese5226
    jreese5226 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Question of the Day: How do you feel about people who use pills or weight loss surgeries to lose weight? This is totally not to make anyone feel uncomfortable, but just to get an idea of how you feel personally about it.

I've determined that those options aren't for me. I've tried pills in the past and they made me feel HORRIBLE! I don't begrudge anyone who does try either of those options, and if asked my opinion, I would caution them to carefully weigh their options and to listen to their bodies very carefully. I know that desperate feeling all too well and it is very easy to get into that "if I could just lose 20 to 30 pounds quickly" mindset. I've actually found that people seem very disappointed when they tell me how great I look and then ask me what my secret is and my answer is calorie counting and exercise. Like they wish that it was a magic pill that I was taking that I could share with them and poof, their troubles would be solved. I tell those people that, with two kids I feel a sense of duty to teach them how to live a balanced, healthy life, and taking pills doesn't fit into that equation.
  • miss_amy
    miss_amy Posts: 351
    Options
    Good Morning ladies! Well I am liking the commitments that I am seeing posted for this week. Remember to be conscious of them and write them down if you need to so that you do not forget what you are setting out to do.

Question of the Day: How do you feel about people who use pills or weight loss surgeries to lose weight? This is totally not to make anyone feel uncomfortable, but just to get an idea of how you feel personally about it.

honestly, i feel like weight loss surgery/pills is ultimately cheating yourself/a cop out UNLESS you learn to eat right & exercise too. so many people think it's the easy way out, and it is, but then they learn the hard way that unless you make changes, you're going to gain it all back. i think both can be dangerous if not under the care of a good doctor and even then there are risks involved that to me, are scary enough to never consider it. as far as pill go, i've had many friends go on diet pills and they don't work. i honestly think more highly of people that lose weight the healthy way (like all of you!) or learn to eat right and exercise regularly if they absolutely need surgery/pills. i'm sorry if that offends anyone.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm up a pound from last week. 171.0 today. I have been bouncing around 168-175 for months now. i need to really stay on track on the weekends. I do well Mon- Thurs then I undo all my hard work for the next few days.

For the next 7 days I will stay away from alcohol and get a minimum for 30 minutes of exercise!
  • kiki75243
    kiki75243 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ladies! Well I am liking the commitments that I am seeing posted for this week. Remember to be conscious of them and write them down if you need to so that you do not forget what you are setting out to do.

I honestly think to each it's own it's just not for me. I think if I would have considered surgery or pills I would have still had bad eating habits. Sure I would have been satisfied with the lose but would it be permanent I doubt it. I like the way I'm losing now. I've taken time to do my research learn about food and working out and have been pretty successful so far. Is it easy no way it was much easier to just eat what I want. But right now I'm no longer on insulin I've lost 45lbs, not on any blood pressure meds so I'm in a happier place. Plus I have tons of energy for my kids. I don't knock anybody for it but just wasn't a good fit for me.
  • healthydoseofglitter
    Options

QOD Tuesday: Pills- I think if you need them than its ok. I personally feel that it is healthier to do it by watching what you eat and exercise. Weight loss surgeries are ok too, some people need different means to get them healthy. I wish there was a magic lil pill that would make the weight fly off but there isnt. It takes hard work.

QOD Monday: Commitment- WATER ... I need to start drinking my 100oz again
  • brooke0206
    brooke0206 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything against ppl who have surgeries for weightless but I feel if they don't get their head right with the eating and working out first then it's a waste of money, 9 times out of 10 they gain the weight back. To me some do it as the easy way out. I know that for some it's their last hope but not for all... As for the diet pills, I will admit that I have used them in the past and yes you may see some quick results but again the weight usually comes back. I am all for the vitamins and nutritional suppliments but the "weit loss" pills typically aren't very healthy for you in my opinion...
  • cdngrl81
    cdngrl81 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I have thought about taking pills in the past to kick start my weight loss. But I really wasn't exercising regularly or watching what I ate. I wanted the body I had 7 years ago, but I didn't want to do anything for it. Last Cmas I decided enough was enough, if I really wanted this I have to WORK for it. There is no magic pill that will make you lose all the weight you gained overnight, the only way is to work and change your lifestyle.
    I understand there are extreme circumstances when surgery would be beneficial, but I haven't known anybody to do it and I haven't really looked into it, so I don't have an opinion either way.
  • Krys_T
    Krys_T Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I never considered surgery when I was at my heaviest...I think for me it was because it never occured to me as an option. As far as pills, I remember me and a co-worker started taking these pills that Carmen Electra was endorsing about 6 years ago called Envy, and I hated the way I felt when I took them and never got through the first bottle. I had a friend that took Phentermine and she has done a good job with maintaining her weight loss, but she also knows her triggers, watches what she eats and exercises regularly. So for her, they worked for what they were suppose to...that extra push. I also have a friend who got lap-band surgery over a year ago and really has only lost about 30-40lbs I believe. For her it has a lot to do with never tackling the healthier lifestyle mindset, because she still does not really work out or eat the way she should.

To each his own, but I think if more people realized that slow and steady wins the race....people would be happier with the lifestyle change more than the actual pounds lost.
  • Stephinow
    Stephinow Posts: 273
    Options
    From what I understand of both weight-loss surgery and diet pills, you still have to do the work. So in my onion, unless the surgery is needed to save your life, it is just safer to lose the weight at a healthy pace and learn some things about yourself along the way.
  • nicole00lynn
    Options
    I have had experience with pills before. I went to a weight docotor who basically gave me b-12 shots and pills that made me lose weight and not be starving. While it did work, it didnt work for long. I feel that if you want to lose weight permanently, you need to push through it and do it on your own. Pills and surgeries may work for the time being, but in the long run its up to you.
  • Sugar_Apple
    Sugar_Apple Posts: 951 Member
    Options

I personally have no issue with it but from my experience the pills always seem to work only for a little while and you still have to make that concerted effort to change for healthier habits... as for surgery I would wish if persons could do it the long way because of all the side effects but for some that is a hard pill to swallow and the surgery is a bit of the push start they need....
  • jamerican23
    jamerican23 Posts: 175 Member
    Options

For me personally i have no issued with people who use pill and or have weight loss surgery maybe it was because of a life or death situtation to each it own but they have a real awaking if they think those are quick fixes you have to work just as hard or even harder to keep it off ..... for myself i believe in going out their and kick butts the old fashion way......lol
  • Kkmama
    Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I like this question... pills/ surgery.
    I always thought that going through with surgery would be the answer for me. I begged my doctor to put my name forward for gastric bypass but he refused... and I was mad. Today I appreciate his point of view. It is a change in your lifestyle- what you eat, or don't eat and moving your body.
    I have a friend who went through Gastric Bypass almost 3 years ago and has only been able to lose about 40 lbs. She has not really done anything to address the eating issues and refuses to work out, let alone just go for a walk to get her sweat on. I am hoping that I can show her by example, but unfortunately she is very set in her ways and just wants the magic pill. I am glad my doc stuck to his guns on this one because the weight loss that I have achieved has been powered and done by me! I can take the credit. It may not be as fast as I want it to be but I am LIVING and enjoying every moment and bead of sweat that is stinging my eyes!
    Maybe some people will find sucess with pills... I certainly didn't and it can be a slippery slope into an eating disorder. Been there, done that. Never again.
    Healthy and slow is the way to go. I am also telling myself that by losing it slowly and exercising I hope to not have excess skin issues.
    Just my two cents.
    Christina
  • Krys_T
    Options
    Good Morning everyone! Happy Hump Day! How is everyone's week going so far? I hope all is well and you all are kicking but like I know you all can.

Topic of the Day: Triggers! I am a firm believer that most people have triggers that send them into eating things they know they shouldn't. Share some of your triggers and tell me what you do or are currently doing to keep them at bay.

Also tell us a little about your week so far...how has it been? Anything new and exciting happening?
  • Krys_T
    Options
    Good Morning everyone! Happy Hump Day! How is everyone's week going so far? I hope all is well and you all are kicking but like I know you all can.

Topic of the Day: Triggers! I am a firm believer that most people have triggers that send them into eating things they know they shouldn't. Share some of your triggers and tell me what you do or are currently doing to keep them at bay.

I know for me my #1 trigger is the week before TOM! Man oh man! I need everything with salt and/or chocolate. Nothing seems to satisfy me. Like last week before TOM reared his ugly head, I was craving birthday cake and hostess cupcakes. Ugh! I ended up giving in to this one and regretted it later because it turned my stomach. But normally, I try my best to keep almonds on hand and drink lots of water so that I feel full. Also, I find that I don't control what I eat in a social setting. So I definitely limit how much I go to dinner with friends.
  • Krys_T
    Options
    Also, I am pretty excited about getting my hair braided tomorrow...because this means I don't have to be afraid to sweat! LOL I was so sick of getting my hair straightened and then working out the next day, then coming to work looking like a mess for the whole week! Ugh! I know some of you ladies know what I am saying. LOL

So I will also be going back to the boxing gym tomorrow. I have a 30 minute session with a trainer and then the other 30 minutes will be an assessment. So he is going to take bodyfat and all that good stuff...I am scared LOL. I haven't had my BF taken since high school and back then it was only 15% Lord how I wish I could get back there lol. I am sure I have that much in one thigh bahahaha. But no really, all jokes aside, this will give me an opportunity to see truly where I am at. Then I will attend a class on Saturday called Fast Track which is very similar to sports conditioning training (turning tractor tires, waving ropes, ladders, running sprints attached to a bungee cord, etc.) and kickboxing class on Sunday. I am hoping I can get home today and sneak in a workout before it gets too late.