How do you Eat Your Oatmeal?

Options
13»

Replies

• perkins927
    perkins927 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love some of the receipes out of the Hungry Girl Cookbook. My favorite is Banana Split Oatmeal
    1/2C oatmeat
    3/4 c almond milk or water or fat free milk

cook until creamy. Add 1 TBSP sugar-free strawberry preserves, 1 tsp mini chocolate chips, 1 TBSP fat-free, sugar-free cool-whip, 1/2 med bananna cut into medallions. Mix together & enjoy. Many times I do not have the cool-whip or banannas so I substitute fat free creamer & leave out the banannas & still AWESOME!
  • Debi907
    Debi907 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Dang, these posts are making me want my oatmeal! I have a bowl every morning usually with cinnamon & craisins or frozen blueberries (it cools the oatmeal down quickly - bonus). Sometimes a little raw sugar & sliced almonds. Oh, so yummy!
  • cstrong53061
    cstrong53061 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love my oatmeal mixed with a couple of tbsp of fat free french vanilla creamer
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    1 apple chopped + 1 tsp cinnamon - nuked 1 mins
    add in 1/4 cup oats, 2 Tbsp oat bran, 1 Tbsp chia and 1 cup water
    top with more cinnamon and nuke 1 mins + 45 seconds
    top with a drizzle of natural PB and greek yogurt

= heaven

This is my breakfast every morning and it's the best damn breakfast I've ever had...
  • erd2011
    erd2011 Posts: 15
    Options
    I like oatmeal meuslii-style. I call it Guinea Pig Breakfast (er, because it's roughly the same stuff my guinea pigs eat):

1 small apple, sliced
    handful baby carrots
    1/2 c uncooked oats
    A bit of juice (try different varieties) or yogurt

Whirl apple and carrots in the food processor, combine with oats and juice or yogurt. Put in the refrigerator and eat it cold the next morning.

My preferred hot oatmeal includes dried fruit, chopped pecans, a scrape of butter and a tablespoon of maple syrup.
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Put yogurt in your oatmeal. It makes it creamy and amaaaaazing xD
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    a tbsp of peanut butter and some agave nectar maple flavored..mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm add in some soy milk or milk? yummmmmm
  • SaishaLea
    SaishaLea Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    With Frozen Blueberries!!!!!!! Yummy!
  • kg1058
    kg1058 Posts: 26
    Options
    I eat mine plain old, plain old or with some fresh fruit like berries or craisins and almonds... but my husband does a savory version with ham or bacon, onions, and salt and pepper. It's not half bad!
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I've got a small Cuisnart rice cooker from Bed Bath & Beyond, I think it was under $29. Great for rice, even better for oatmeal!

Steel Cut/ Irish Oats..1 measuring cup of oats plus 3 regular cups of water and let it soak in the cooker overnight. In the morning I throw in a whole diced apple and 1/3 cup raisins. Turn the unit on and go for a 1 mile power walk. 20 minutes later when I get home its hot and ready. Makes 4 cups. I eat 1 cup with a dash of honey or maple syrup (REAL maple, not that maple-flavored corn syrup crap). The other 3 cups I measure into little containers and have it the next three days. 60 seconds in the microwave and I'm good to go.
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    cobracars, sounds yummy...gonna try this for tomorrow's breakfast
  • B3Streeter
    B3Streeter Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-oats/detail.aspx

Apple cinnamon steel cut oats cooked in the crock pot overnight. Makes your house smell SO good & tastes amazing!
  • chchchangess
    Options
    tonight I mixed 1/2 cup of oatmeal with a spoonful of pumpkin, a couple dashes cocoa powder, and a packet of stevia. my roommate asked me if I was baking brownies because it smelled so good. and it tasted amazing!
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I like a savory version. My cousin first made it for me like this. I kinda thought she was crazy til I tried it.

Thick cut Oats, boiled but not to the point of being mushy, still grainy
    pat of Butter
    Salt and Pepper to taste.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I add ground flax (4 tbsp so it needs an extra 1/2 cup water), lots of ground ginger, and sweeten with xylitol!

youre supposed to have a max of 2 tbspn flaxseed a day!!

i have it with skim milk, cinnamon and flax seed. sounds boring but i love it <3
  • pandasand
    pandasand Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I love eating my oatmeal just plain :P
  • emmiee921
    emmiee921 Posts: 224
    Options
    Cinnamon, vanilla essence, stevia and frozen berries
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    just oats and milk warmed!
  • hannahro
    hannahro Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    pumpkin oatmeal, blueberry banana oatmeal, chocolate banana oatmeal and cranberry oatmeal. yummm! all at around 300 calories.

http://picnicsandpantries.blogspot.com/search/label/oats.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I make it with almond milk, add either banana or apple while cooking, and top with chopped walnuts or a little almond butter. Some days I'll add dried cranberries to (at the beginning of cooking so they rehydrate a bit).