ANNOYING/AGITATING calorie people

Replies

• I'm letting out my frustration. Not looking for a fight-everyone can do what they want it's their body. I'm glad to be getting some friend requests out of this of people with the same thoughts and attitude towards healthy weight loss as me.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    When I first came to MFP, according to their guided whatchamacallit, I was only given 1350 calories. It sucked so bad and that is why I went over to livestrong, because they gave me 1500 and some change. Same stats, etc....it was tough. I ended up back here because of the ease of use vs livestrong. Anyway, maybe that's why those people are eating that little...because that is what they are given and they have no idea how to customize, or perhaps they're afraid they'll sabotage themselves..
    I'm lucky, I get over 2000 cuz I'm trying to gain:bigsmile:
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    there may be the odd person out there who is eating way less and has a reason for it. I am being monitored by a team of doctors and following a plan they designed for me. Today, I ate 559 calories. done for the day. I have to do this. my diet is highly restricted at this moment, but new foods will be reintroduced slowly to monitor their effects on me. Just sayin' not everyone eating under is trying to starve themselves.
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    I'm letting out my frustration. Not looking for a fight-everyone can do what they want it's their body. I'm glad to be getting some friend requests out of this of people with the same thoughts and attitude towards healthy weight loss as me.

So rant, if you like, and ask for like-minded friends to support you, and be happy you're doing it the 'right' way. Surely that can be done in a way that doesn't accuse, denigrate or belittle other members who most likely have no interest in logging onto the forums and being told how you feel about their diaries.
  • well that's true and I agree but at the same time, for a woman who is 5'2" 1200 calories is a reasonable amount to eat.... I'm not saying under 1000 is ever really reasonable but as a petite woman I set my goal to be 1200, which I think is fine for me. Sometimes I will be hungry and I usually end up eating more than my goal. I think people who complain about having ate too much can just be annoying on their own... So what you had a few extra calories just get back on track tomorrow and maybe workout tonight but it's no big deal.

I agree, you didn't put weight on overnight, so you won't lose it over night either.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    If it makes you feel so bad and insecure then stop checking others' diaries. No point in stirring the pot here dear.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    oh and you can let out that frustration by going for a nice run instead.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    well that's true and I agree but at the same time, for a woman who is 5'2" 1200 calories is a reasonable amount to eat.... I'm not saying under 1000 is ever really reasonable but as a petite woman I set my goal to be 1200, which I think is fine for me. Sometimes I will be hungry and I usually end up eating more than my goal. I think people who complain about having ate too much can just be annoying on their own... So what you had a few extra calories just get back on track tomorrow and maybe workout tonight but it's no big deal.

I agree, you didn't put weight on overnight, so you won't lose it over night either.

I felt light headed at eating 1200...cuz I wouldn't eat my exercise cals either. Maybe I'm just a weirdo, lol.
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    I realize HRM seem to be the rage and do work well, but was shocked after wearing my Body Media Fit for 6 months to learn I burn much more than I realized. I will admit training for a 1/2 marathon upped my numbers too. I burn an ave 2600 cal/day (I was up to 2850)... That means I need to eat 2100 a day to lose a pound a week. Don't feel guilty for eating more if you are active.
  • michedarnd
    michedarnd Posts: 207 Member
    I find 1800 calories in a day to be high -- but THAT is often because I try to fill it with purely healthy choices. If you are eating grilled chicken breast, boiled eggs, unsweetened oatmeal, cottage cheese, and green-leafy vegetables, actually getting up to 1800 calories can be a challenge -- esPECIALLY if you are trying to keep down your sugar and fat, simultaneously. That's not really obsession, though. It's simply staying true to your eating habits.

That said, I don't find it IRRITATING that other people are starving themselves to lose. I hope that they manage to keep their health, but I don't find it irritating. Each person chooses what works for them. I've had to slowly raise my calories higher, too. The original 1200 resulted in an insta-plateau, for me, and I'm trying to exercise 5 or more days a week. *shrug*

Whatever works.
  • Amen..or people who have weight loss goals that will put them at an anorexic BMI..
    What is considered anorexic? A BMI under 16.5? I've heard of an underweight BMI but not an anorexic one. Anorexia is a psychological condition. It is possible for an overweight person to have anorexia or anorexic tendencies. Forgive me if I am being ignorant.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    i agree that 1800 isn't *that* much. MFP gave me that much when i first began and i lowered it to 1500. these days i can't really even eat 1800 cals without exercising. but 1000 is soooo low.
  • Thanks, I appreciate the post, I was feeling bad about my caloric intake. This make me feel better.
  • elfie9863
    elfie9863 Posts: 337

Eat your calories- "it took more than a day to put it on, it will take more than a day to take it off".

I love that...

Mee toooooo!!!!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    If I see another "I can't meet my 1,200 calorie goal" or, "How do I get more calories" thread I'm gonna have a stroke.
    Eat a Snickers bar dang it!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    So how can I eat under 10000 calories a day then? How can you help me with that?
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Amen..or people who have weight loss goals that will put them at an anorexic BMI..

There is no such thing as an "anorexic BMI".
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    I'm letting out my frustration. Not looking for a fight-everyone can do what they want it's their body. I'm glad to be getting some friend requests out of this of people with the same thoughts and attitude towards healthy weight loss as me.
    That's not the same attitude I read in your first post.

Are you getting friend requests because of a common irritation about other people's calorie intake? You know who else used a common enemy technique? That's right, Hitler.

Sorry, I'm sleepy, and just wanted this debate to reach its natural conclusion quickly. See Godwin's law: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Some people actually have small appetites... it is REALLY hard for me to stuff down my calorie goal of 1200 every day! Sometimes I feel sick. Just ignore it. They are not trying to make you feel bad, they are genuinely struggling.
  • mfpseven
    mfpseven Posts: 421 Member
    On a veggie diet I don't take in a ton of extra calories, in fact when I wasn't dieting the only difference was my carbs and sugars. So when I stopped eating those I cut my cal intake by almost 1000, seriously, I had a HUGE issue with cookies and cakes and candy. there are 160cals in 3 Oreo or chips ahoy cookies, and I'd eat half a package. or I'd have 2 slices of cheese cake at lunch. even an order of onion rings at a fast food place are 400-700 cals depending on size that's a ton where as a side salad is only 25 or so. I don't complain about trying to get extra calories but I do see people do it, but when you first get into healthy eating habits you aren't sure what are good choices yet so you limit yourself to a handful of foods with out trying.

So don't get mad, they just need more food options.