Opinions on my diary

Options
Hello. I have been on MFP for a week now and I love it. I have lost three pounds but I wasn't too sure of my starting weight, it could have been more than 197. Yesterday I weighed at the doctor and I was 194. :-) Anywho. I was wondering I some of the people that can had sucess with losing weight can look at my diary and give me some tips, if any. Some times I worry about the carbs because I was always told to stay away from carbs when dieting, but it is mainly from fruits. I do drink coffee in the morning with sugar and creamer or milk because I cannot stand the taste of sweet in low with my coffee. I would really appreciate any tips/advice and I have no problem with constructive criticism. I set my settings for profile and diary to public. Thanks in advance. Add me too.....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/TeeA86

Replies

• inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating enough!
    You are below 1200 calories everyday. You will notice your body starting to hold onto weight as opposed to losing it if you continue this too long.

Aim to lose 1 pound a week and increase your calorie intake by at least 300 calories.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more 1200 is the min. for a small sedentry woman!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    You're doing pretty well with lean protein, and the fruit is fine. Nutritionists suggest eating at least 1200 calories a day and you are only eating 950, so I suggest adding 200 calories of vegetables to your day.You'll feel full and know you are getting all the nutrients you need. You might want to add a multivitamin just in case.
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Exactly what I was going to say! Also doesn't show any exercise calories. Are you working out? Skipping meals doesn't help either! EAT!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I just looked quickly at the last few days and see a lot of packed or fast food. I don't have any problem with your food choices (I"m far from being a clean eater) but you may want to add sodium to your diary to track that as high sodium intake can lead to water weight and slow down your losses.

Definitely try to meet the 1200 calorie minimum too - you need to fuel your body right!
  • jaxson1974
    Options
    I didn't notice much dairy in your diet, you may want to use some of your daily calories for that as well.
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Hi.... great job joining MFP... it's the first step, and losing weight is always great!!!!

I took a quick glance at your diary.... just a few things I noticed....

- You should eat a more substantial breakfast every day. Something filling that can tide you over until lunch. Coffee alone is just not a suitable breakfast
    - Possibly add SUGAR and SODIUM to your nutrients to track. There are so many foods with hidden sugar and sodium, it can help explain a lot if you get to a point where you may not be losing as quickly
    - You need to eat more calories. It doesn't look like you even hit 1000 calories on most days I reviewed.

Good luck on your journey!!!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Carbs arent evil, a balanced diet contains carbs, fats and protein.

and the calorie goal is the number you should be hitting... 900 cals per day is NOT healthy.
  • Bosbes
    Bosbes Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think you´re not eating enough... Most days you´re under 1000 kcal! One day I see you log an apple as dinner.
    I understand you want to lose weight, so you decrease calorie intake... That sounds logical, but to lose weight your body has to keep functioning. That´s not possible with only 1000 kcal a day (or less).
    How are you physically and mentally feeling when you eat so little? Who told you to stay away from carbs? I think they are a part of a well balanced diet.

Good job for being more aware of what you eat. It's very wise to ask other people for advise. I hope you listen to them. Good luck on your journey.
  • ABIGgirl
    Options
    I also say track sugar. It helped me a LOT.
  • janeinspain
    janeinspain Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You are eating way too little. You shouldn't eat less than 1200/day under no circumstances.
    Other than this, I like your carb-count, but you are not eating enough protein. And this is what's keeping you satiated, lessens your cravings and prevents you to lose the muscle along with the fat. And you don't want that.
    So: eat more, especially protein. And try to exercise more, if possible - this implies eating even more (like around 200 cals extra, not the entire exercised calories).
  • smd819882
    Options
    You can add me as a friend to look at my diary. I have lost over 60 lbs diet and exercise alone the past year. I have not exercised since July because of an injury. I start with this to give you a small background of where I am coming from. To lose weight you need to have one gram of lean protein for every pound of lean muscle mass. I personally do not think you are getting enough protein. Also carbs turn into sugar. True you are getting carbs in the source of fruit but they are also very high in sugar. I'd suggest going to your settings and allowing yourself to see how much sugar you are consuming as well. I have tons more to say but don't want to get carried away. Try to eat more calories and I am guilty of this as well like 1200 like everyone has stated above. Eat more veggies, less fruit and more grain. I am allergic to gluten so I know there are other options for grains if you need.
    HOpe this was helpful
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the carbs...
    You need to EAT MORE! This may seem to be working for you in the short term but you will come to a screeching halt eventually.

This was just posted this morning...there are a million more posts on here like this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/laney540/view/the-real-scoop-on-eating-back-burned-calories-157111

Also, add Sodium to your tracking on your diary. You are eating some prepackaged food, etc so you are most likely over your sodium which may cause you to retain water. Keep an eye on that....

You can do this! :flowerforyou: The most important thing is to educate yourself and know your body. Read all the info in the stickies for new members, it is very helpful!!
  • TeeA86
    TeeA86 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You are below 1200 calories everyday. You will notice your body starting to hold onto weight as opposed to losing it if you continue this too long.

Aim to lose 1 pound a week and increase your calorie intake by at least 300 calories.

Thanks. When trying to get up to my 1200, I don't know what to eat. Do you think just adding more fruit is ok even though its high in sugar?
  • TeeA86
    Options
    You need to eat more 1200 is the min. for a small sedentry woman!

Thanks. That is the amount MFP set for me. What do think I should shoot for?
  • kmcrey87
    kmcrey87 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Gosh, you eat so little! I eat that amount of calories before dinner even rolls around. Bump up your calories with healthy choices! If you are already feeling full I would eat a few Tbsp of peanut butter since it is so calorie dense, but if you are hungry all day long load up with veggies, whole grains, and fruit!
  • TeeA86
    Options
    You're doing pretty well with lean protein, and the fruit is fine. Nutritionists suggest eating at least 1200 calories a day and you are only eating 950, so I suggest adding 200 calories of vegetables to your day.You'll feel full and know you are getting all the nutrients you need. You might want to add a multivitamin just in case.

Thanks.. I will def. do that.
  • TeeA86
    Options
    Exactly what I was going to say! Also doesn't show any exercise calories. Are you working out? Skipping meals doesn't help either! EAT!

Thanks.... I haven't really been doing as much exercise as I should. I think I walked the track like 3 times last week. I work full time and go to school. I have an elliptical at home but that thing it difficult. lol. I am def going to try to push it this week.
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options

Thanks. When trying to get up to my 1200, I don't know what to eat. Do you think just adding more fruit is ok even though its high in sugar?

Don't just eat more fruit to increase your calorie intake.
    Eat protein, eat some carbs..

Basically, how I lost weight was just eating things in smaller quantities than I had before. I still eat pasta, I still eat rice, I still have chicken, steak, and the like. I just don't eat as much of it. You need to add substantial foods that are going to keep you full.
  • TeeA86
    Options
    I just looked quickly at the last few days and see a lot of packed or fast food. I don't have any problem with your food choices (I"m far from being a clean eater) but you may want to add sodium to your diary to track that as high sodium intake can lead to water weight and slow down your losses.

Definitely try to meet the 1200 calorie minimum too - you need to fuel your body right!

Thanks. So stay away from salt? I love salt on my food. I even put salt on my oranges. I will def try to do better with that.