Orange Juice/ Milk

Options
Which would really be better for u in the morning, 1 cup of Tropicana OJ or glass of 1% milk. The OJ has the Vit C but milk has 9 gram of protein

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would go with the milk as the sugar in the juice is much higher and is not paired with the natural fiber from the fruit. It is much better to eat an orange than drink a glass of orange juice.
  • Southernsister
    Southernsister Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    VVhy not have both? If you change to Unsvveet Almond milk(love Vanilla) it is only 35 cal and GREAT for you.You can''t go vvrong giving the body the goods(smile)
  • LizzieBee17
    LizzieBee17 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I am thinking milk because it also has calcium which can aid in weight loss.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    VVhy not have both? If you change to Unsvveet Almond milk(love Vanilla) it is only 35 cal and GREAT for you.You can''t go vvrong giving the body the goods(smile)

but has less than 1 gram of protein, which is the benefit of having the milk over the juice.
  • jaxdiablo
    jaxdiablo Posts: 580
    Options
    Mix them together... trust me, what happens after you drink them will definitely help the weightloss...
  • kirstiey
    kirstiey Posts: 243
    Options

You look AMAZING in your pumpkin pic!!!! Well done you!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to choose between the two?

I also vote for almond milk.
  • kirstiey
    kirstiey Posts: 243
    Options
    Mix them together... trust me, what happens after you drink them will definitely help the weightloss...

Haaaaaaa snorts tea out of nose hahahahahah
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    milk, hands down! I rarely drink juice because it has so much sugar. If I do drink juice it's probably more along the lines of Naked Green Machine - which has veggies in it too - juiced spinach & broccoli that tastes good? can't beat it!! (though i do love orange juice - and apple juice - but just reach for those fruits instead)
  • CoachNYLA
    CoachNYLA Posts: 129
    Options
    Personally, neither. They are both loaded with sugar. Yes, low fat milk has milk sugars, check the label. The lower the fat, the higher the milk sugars which equals a higher glycemic carb situation. You would be better off eating a whole orange and having some greek yogurt if you are looking for the vitamin C and calcium. You blood sugar will regulate much better with a protein, carb and fat combo than just plain sugars and there is not enough protein vs. carbs in the 1% milk to avoid a spike in insulin.

That's just my experience. I am sure you will get a lot of different thoughts....I'm sure you find one that works for you.
  • GFreg
    GFreg Posts: 404
    Options
    I am going to go ahead and say milk. If you want OJ though make sure you are getting some that is 100% juice. You don't want to waste calories with mostly sugar water with some juice in it. If you aren't getting enough vitamin C or are missing out on some protein there are always supplements for either of those.
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    As eric said, i would go with milk. And have a whole orange instead of juice.
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I would go with the milk as the sugar in the juice is much higher and is not paired with the natural fiber from the fruit. It is much better to eat an orange than drink a glass of orange juice.

^^ this. I like to eat my fruit servings as snacks rather than drink them. Plus there aren't any weird chemicals in fruit like in a lot of fruit juices. I sometimes just have a protein shake with skim milk for breakfast.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I would drink water and eat an orange. :laugh:
  • thomasdyre
    thomasdyre Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Go with Almond Milk
  • CoachNYLA
    CoachNYLA Posts: 129
    Options
    P.S. Seriously though, fruit juice is just plain sugar in a refinement process. It is so old school to think that fruit juice is actually good for your health. I love the commercials that say "buy this fruit juice" there is no sugar added. Well, thank you very much...they must think we are stupid or something....hello, the whole darn thing is nothing but sugar. LOL
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

How does calcium aid in weight loss?
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

No it doesn't. :flowerforyou:

And I would go with neither. But if I actually drank either of them, I suppose I would go with the cow teat juice.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options

How does calcium aid in weight loss?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/090312115053.htm

apparently this only applies if you are calcium deficient. but I have heard the concept before
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

Please explain using resources other than the dairy council.