Young boys pressured to be masculine- what do you think?

Options

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    My brother is 13 & is getting crap from his peers that his arms are 'too small' & that he should work out. Why should he? He's of healthy weight, he eats a good balanced diet, he walks to & from school & walks most places. Why does he need to 'work out?' It scares me, I don't want him to fall to peer pressure. He either wants to be a chef or fire fighter but his so called friends have made fun of him, saying he's not masculine enough. So far, he is keeping above, but school is a dangerous place to plot ideas into people's heads.

So... you want him to he a wuss? Have you considered his opinion?? I doubt it.

Seriously, quit telling him 'your just fine the way you are, keep playing with your barbies if you want to', because that's probably why they're picking on him.
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    We've become a nation of pansies because no one has to just learn to be tough and deal with their issues. Kids need confrontation. Its how they learn to deal with real life.
    hear, hear
    no one gets a ribbon just for showing up

If only more parents looked at it this way.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    We've become a nation of pansies because no one has to just learn to be tough and deal with their issues. Kids need confrontation. Its how they learn to deal with real life.
    hear, hear

When I was a kid if you wanted a ribbon you had to kick some other kids *kitten* on the mat or actually be better than someone at something. If you failed to get a ribbon it was encouragement to get better and learn how to work at things.

Now we're more worried about a kid getting their feelings hurt than we are about them learning that they are not perfect and hard work can benefit you.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    I think your brother may be gay.
  • LemonPoppySeedMuffin
    Options
    My brother is 13 & is getting crap from his peers that his arms are 'too small' & that he should work out. Why should he? He's of healthy weight, he eats a good balanced diet, he walks to & from school & walks most places. Why does he need to 'work out?' It scares me, I don't want him to fall to peer pressure. He either wants to be a chef or fire fighter but his so called friends have made fun of him, saying he's not masculine enough. So far, he is keeping above, but school is a dangerous place to plot ideas into people's heads.

Seriously, quit telling him 'your just fine the way you are, keep playing with your barbies if you want to', because that's probably why they're picking on him.

You're the type of person who would pick on him. He doesn't want to play sport because he isn't interested. He has other hobbies such as creating his own films, reading exploring ect.
    I tell him he's fine because he IS fine. If he was overweight I'd encourage him to work out more, if he were overweight I'd tell him to try eat more. If he's fit & healthy in his own way, why should I tell him to stop doing what he's already doing?
  • LemonPoppySeedMuffin
    Options
    I think your brother may be gay.

Why do you think that? Because he isn't a sheep & is happy doing his own thing? & if he was gay, so what? As long as he's safe & happy I couldn't give a damn.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options

You're the type of person who would pick on him. He doesn't want to play sport because he isn't interested. He has other hobbies such as creating his own films, reading exploring ect.
    I tell him he's fine because he IS fine. If he was overweight I'd encourage him to work out more, if he were overweight I'd tell him to try eat more. If he's fit & healthy in his own way, why should I tell him to stop doing what he's already doing?

^^ please note - Koos is ridiculously sarcastic and only saying this to make you freak out lol ^^
  • LemonPoppySeedMuffin
    Options
    lemon[popp........unfortunately, theres so little you can do........Support him , actually, maybe he could take classes, IF HE CHOOSES TO, for boxing or martial arts.........that would sholw the little punks whose who............

I got suspended for fighting, beat the **** out of Mike Laskowski in a partk after school.............we fought, I won, shook his hand and we were friends all thru out school......also, no one messed with me anymore, and then I played JV baseball, had a good throwing arm and I developed in my 10th grade........it all works out.

I hope he does well..............Lloyd

I've told him only to fight back with words, physical fighting is for cowards. He got detention for a week before because he rightfully punched a guy in the face for making fun of our father who's mentally unwell. The teacher ignored the fact that the guy had been nasty to him for months, only took notice at the fact my brother gave him a good hiding.

Hate to break it to you sweetheart, but you aren' t looking for anyone's opinion but your own.

It's called discussing dear.

Except anyone that tells you that "kids will be kids" gets shot down? I'm not saying that stereotyping, etc, is right, but it does happen. He needs to learn that people are kind of crappy. They will say and do crappy things. He can either succumb to it, or build strength from it. I've seen my brother get picked on as well (he's 14), and it sucks, but he survived did, as did I and as did you. He'll be fine.

My point was just, don't bring up a topic and then tear at everyone's response who doesn't agree with you.

I love debate, I don't want to come off as tearing up people's opinions :P.
    You're right though, there is either going with it or going against it.
    In school, I chose to do my own thing, good crap for it. But do you know what? On Prom night, tones of girls came up to me, wishing they could have been different like me. The only person that stopped themselves, was themselves.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Last time I checked, being gay meant something completely different.
    Your brother is fine, its everyone else who is wrong, but there are more of them.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Have him do MMA. It won't matter how he looks
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    lemon[popp........unfortunately, theres so little you can do........Support him , actually, maybe he could take classes, IF HE CHOOSES TO, for boxing or martial arts.........that would sholw the little punks whose who............

I got suspended for fighting, beat the **** out of Mike Laskowski in a partk after school.............we fought, I won, shook his hand and we were friends all thru out school......also, no one messed with me anymore, and then I played JV baseball, had a good throwing arm and I developed in my 10th grade........it all works out.

I've told him only to fight back with words, physical fighting is for cowards. He got detention for a week before because he rightfully punched a guy in the face for making fun of our father who's mentally unwell. The teacher ignored the fact that the guy had been nasty to him for months, only took notice at the fact my brother gave him a good hiding.

Hate to break it to you sweetheart, but you aren' t looking for anyone's opinion but your own.

Except anyone that tells you that "kids will be kids" gets shot down? I'm not saying that stereotyping, etc, is right, but it does happen. He needs to learn that people are kind of crappy. They will say and do crappy things. He can either succumb to it, or build strength from it. I've seen my brother get picked on as well (he's 14), and it sucks, but he survived did, as did I and as did you. He'll be fine.

My point was just, don't bring up a topic and then tear at everyone's response who doesn't agree with you.

In school, I chose to do my own thing, good crap for it. But do you know what? On Prom night, tones of girls came up to me, wishing they could have been different like me. The only person that stopped themselves, was themselves.

Exactly - so, you either conform and therefore stop the bullying or you don't and deal with it. Bottom line.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

"...he's fine because he IS fine." So, what you're saying is, everyone else has a problem? I think I see where the boys negative influence is coming from.

"why should I tell him to stop doing what he's already doing?" Is he not allowed to make his own decisions? The more you post, the more clear the root of his troubles become.
  • LemonPoppySeedMuffin
    Options

Exactly - so, you either conform and therefore stop the bullying or you don't and deal with it. Bottom line.

Got crap*
    I find it hard to accept that those are the only options.
    I can't stand being like someone else. Following the crowd makes me itch :P
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    poppy, what people are trying to say and help with you , is the understanding that boys will be boys, and girls will be girls

unfortunately, hes at a point of being labeled..............sad, but it is what it is

its better to get your *kitten* kicked and stand up for yourself, than to put your head in the sand and let people taunt you

he will feel so much better towards his manhood knowing he stood up for himself.........think about it, some one, ALWAYS loses a fight

he stood up to them..........they will respect him, regardless if he gets his *kitten* kicked or not..........they probably will stop the harrassment as well, and who knows, may shake hands and turn out to be the best of friends..........

its not easy being a teenager in school, and if he is gay, its going to be harder, but you have to have boundaries and stand up for your beliefs..............good luck to you both
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    hear, hear

When I was a kid if you wanted a ribbon you had to kick some other kids *kitten* on the mat or actually be better than someone at something. If you failed to get a ribbon it was encouragement to get better and learn how to work at things.

Now we're more worried about a kid getting their feelings hurt than we are about them learning that they are not perfect and hard work can benefit you.

My eleven year old son got a medal to hang on his neck for playing basketball last year. He wouldn't even look at it. He said, "Mom, we were the worst team out there, I don't need a reminder that we sucked. Throw it away."
  • LemonPoppySeedMuffin
    Options

"...he's fine because he IS fine." So, what you're saying is, everyone else has a problem? I think I see where the boys negative influence is coming from.

"why should I tell him to stop doing what he's already doing?" Is he not allowed to make his own decisions? The more you post, the more clear the root of his troubles become.

Yes, the people who pick on him have a problem. Why does the size of his arms bother them so much?
    If I told him to stop doing what he's doing, wouldn't that go against his decisions?
    I'd rather him start working out because he's interested & GENUINELY wants to do it than do it because he's been pressured into it.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options

My eleven year old son got a medal to hang on his neck for playing basketball last year. He wouldn't even look at it. He said, "Mom, we were the worst team out there, I don't need a reminder that we sucked. Throw it away."

Good kid.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Bullying is not acceptable and kids have it so hard these days. The pressure to look or act a certain way or fit in is even more so then it was 10 years ago.
  • LemonPoppySeedMuffin
    Options
    poppy, what people are trying to say and help with you , is the understanding that boys will be boys, and girls will be girls

unfortunately, hes at a point of being labeled..............sad, but it is what it is

its better to get your *kitten* kicked and stand up for yourself, than to put your head in the sand and let people taunt you

he will feel so much better towards his manhood knowing he stood up for himself.........think about it, some one, ALWAYS loses a fight

he stood up to them..........they will respect him, regardless if he gets his *kitten* kicked or not..........they probably will stop the harrassment as well, and who knows, may shake hands and turn out to be the best of friends..........

its not easy being a teenager in school, and if he is gay, its going to be harder, but you have to have boundaries and stand up for your beliefs..............good luck to you both

I do tell him to stand up for himself, which he does. I just encourage him to fight back with words, other than punches. If he punches them, they get what they want. I've been punched before, because the person who picking on me couldn't think of a better come back than mine. I see physical fighting as a weakness, because they know they are wrong, ran out of words & resort to violence.

By the way, I'm not disagreeing with you.
  • onefitdiva
    onefitdiva Posts: 331 Member
    Options

Good kid.

^^^ I second that.