How much Protein is too Much??

Options

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

As a junior in a nutrition field I have done a lot of research and read many studies. Carbs may not be absolutely necessary, but they are nothing to fear.

Everyone will have their own opinion of course and I'll leave it at that :]

Gotta agree here.
    Some people do great on low carb stuff.
    But carbs are essential for serious athletes or anyone who trains intensely.

EDIT: Don't argue with me and give me some BS about bodybuilders doing low carb. When you're altering your hormones with steroids, the same rules don't apply.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    and to the OP,

Eat all the protein you want, as long as it isn't putting you way over on your cals, and make sure you don't shortchange your fat intake by too much.
  • AlanAragon
    AlanAragon Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Originally posted by digitalsteel: "Is it wrong to promote accurate information? I've gathered for you every study I've read over the years. Feel free, it only took me several years to have found and read through it all. [insert epic wall of irrelevant research] Hopefully this bout of work on my part will gain me some credibility.
    I noticed that among the high volume of rodent-based, half-centrury old studies you posted, there are at least 5 articles whose topic is exercise, not high vs low-carb dieting. It looks like you indiscriminately posted the bibliography of a Taubes book. That's quite a lazy, dishonest way to approach an argument.
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I simply posted a list of the studies I read. I read these, I wasn't using them to reference a specific point. I didn't come to my conclusion by any specific one, I came to it after reading, comparing, dismissing false evidence, and formulating the raw data behind the studies. Stop attempting to insult me by misrepresenting what I post.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    Originally posted by digitalsteel: "Is it wrong to promote accurate information? I've gathered for you every study I've read over the years. Feel free, it only took me several years to have found and read through it all. [insert epic wall of irrelevant research] Hopefully this bout of work on my part will gain me some credibility.
    I noticed that among the high volume of rodent-based, half-centrury old studies you posted, there are at least 5 articles whose topic is exercise, not high vs low-carb dieting. It looks like you indiscriminately posted the bibliography of a Taubes book. That's quite a lazy, dishonest way to approach an argument.

lol. strong username.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I simply posted a list of the studies I read. I read these, I wasn't using them to reference a specific point. I didn't come to my conclusion by any specific one, I came to it after reading, comparing, dismissing false evidence, and formulating the raw data behind the studies. Stop attempting to insult me by misrepresenting what I post.

Digital, the burden of proof is on you to actually reference research for a specific point if you're making a claim. You can't just say this is the conclusion I came to after reading this body of work, some of which is completely irrelevant to your claim.

There is no onus on the reader to reproduce your reading habits when asking you to support your claim.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    ...Garlic and Oil: Food and Politics in Italy. Oxford, U.K.: Berg Publishers.

Hrdlika, A. 1908. Physiological and Medical Observations Among the Indians of Southwestern United States and Northern Mexico. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office.

——. 1906. “Notes on the Pima of Arizona.” American Anthropologist. Jan–Mar;8(1):39–46. Interdepartmental Commission on Nutrition for National Defense. 1962. Nutrition Survey in the West Indies. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office.

Johnson, T. O. 1970...

http://books.google.com/books?id=D77ECIQRgkUC&pg=PA230&dq="Garlic+and+Oil:+Food+and+Politics+in+Italy."+taubes&hl=en&ei=m9GVTufDLKL50gGmrKXmBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

interesting...
  • digitalsteel
    Options
    What's your point, I haven't even come close to reading all the same studies as he has. He's surpassed me by a at least a few years of research and came to the same conclusion. What does that tell you?
  • AlanAragon
    Options
    I simply posted a list of the studies I read. Are you in capable of reading? I read these, I wasn't using them to reference a specific point. I didn't come to my conclusion by any specific one, I came to it after reading, comparing, dismissing false evidence, and formulating the raw data behind the studies. Stop attempting to insult me by misrepresenting what I post.
    Calm down, bro. No need to get defensive the second you get exposed for posting reams of irrelevant research.
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options

The only reason you posted such a list of all the research material you've read is to forcefully back your claim and influence others that you are correct. Why else would you include BS in the list instead of eliminate it from your reference material? That's like referencing fiction novels and Dr. Seuss books.
  • Salpica
    Salpica Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    This thread made me LOL!

Could someone give me some references to the studies that confirmed the information in this book?

go-dog-go.jpg
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    You know you're merely running around in circles? I actually thought this kind of behavior was fictional. I don't know how you can be so delusional. If you believe a specific line of thinking, then, please, provide us with RELEVANT research. Don't paste a wall of text.

The first thing you learn in writing is that you need to expand and interpret your sources. You need to do that. Giving us a link with no explanation is not the grounds for an argument. Fine, you've read all these studies, congratulations. Now you need to convey to us why those studies are relevant to your argument. You would get an F on your paper if you just copy and pasted all these studies.

Now either explain or get out.
  • AlanAragon
    Options
    Digitalsteel needs to calm down... He's gonna set off the lunk alarm :)
  • digitalsteel
    Options
    You know, its perfectly valid to say, this is what I have come up with, and this is what I have read. If you don't want to read it, fine. If you want to argue the topic, fine. But that's not what is being argued anymore. And to glean the titles of several studies and assume something of what that means, vs actually reading them, understanding them, realizing not all of them are correct and why are two very different things.

I do not have the time or patience to write a book on this matter. Others have, read theirs, if they have done what I have, chances are they came to the same conclusion.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    You know, its perfectly valid to say, this is what I have come up with, and this is what I have read. If you don't want to read it, fine. If you want to argue the topic, fine. But that's not what is being argued anymore. And to glean the titles of several studies and assume something of what that means, vs actually reading them, understanding them, realizing not all of them are correct and why are two very different things.

I do not have the time or patience to write a book on this matter. Others have, read theirs, if they have done what I have, chances are they came to the same conclusion.

You said that carbs are the enemies. If you don't provide use relevant research with interpretations and explanations following then we cannot believe you. If you're fine with that then move along. Don't preach something you cannot support. And if you try to support it then support it properly.

Also, we know there have been books on this but they simply are wrong. Taubes, as we have mentioned, has been dismissed.
  • Ven33
    Ven33 Posts: 2
    Options
    digital do u even lift?
  • digitalsteel
    Options
    Taubes has been dismissed by what exactly?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    digital do u even lift?

loled.
    aware
  • Ven33
    Ven33 Posts: 2
    Options
    Taubes has been dismissed by what exactly?

By peer reviewed medical studies.
This discussion has been closed.