Women doing Rippetoe's Starting Strength program?

Options
I'm just starting with Mark Rippetoe's original Starting Strength program featured in his incredibly helpful book of the same name.

I'd love to find other people who are doing or have done this program. I'd especially love to find other women lifters who are familiar with this program to compare our progress, offer support, etc.

This morning I just concentrated on squat form and even practiced getting down extra low with no bar at all and then again with just the olympic bar. I've been lifting regularly since starting New Rules of Lifting for Women in May but I like the no-nonsense barbell emphasis in Starting Strength, so far.

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I'm just chiming in to say GOOD FOR YOU for doing this. IMO-- too many women have misconceptions about "weights will make me bulky" or "I gain muscle too fast" etc etc.

Want to look good? Lift like a man, and I mean that with the best of intent despite whatever hate I may garner from that rather gender insensitive comment.

Congrats OP, progress incoming. SS is a great program.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the congrats! I'm excited about it. I dragged the book out into the power cage to work on proper grip this morning.

Any other women doing this? Hmm?
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I think I am going to order the book to take on vacation with me. So I wouldn't be starting for a few weeks. I've already been practicing squats and super light deadlifts (not putting it down in between, is that called Romanian?), but we'll see if any of Rip's advice contradicts my trainer's. :)
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I'm just chiming in to say GOOD FOR YOU for doing this. IMO-- too many women have misconceptions about "weights will make me bulky" or "I gain muscle too fast" etc etc.

Want to look good? Lift like a man, and I mean that with the best of intent despite whatever hate I may garner from that rather gender insensitive comment.

Congrats OP, progress incoming. SS is a great program.

^
    This
  • kensky
    Options
    I had my first full day of programming today and I think I'm hooked. It helps that I'm familiar with all the lifts...and I was "just" using the bar. :ohwell:
  • kensky
    Options
    I had my first full day of programming today and I think I'm hooked. It helps that I'm familiar with all the lifts...and I was "just" using the bar. :ohwell:
  • kensky
    Options
    Anyone?

I'm going to go ahead and have my B workout day tomorrow and this time I really am going to attempt the power clean instead of going with pendlay rows. I'll be starting with "just the bar", of course, but still. I've been googling Rippetoe's youtube videos all afternoon.
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I don't follow that program but I do lift heavy. I'm not afraid of bulking up at all and love how powerful it makes you feel!!
  • mjp202
    mjp202 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm not a woman, but I'm starting Rippetoe's Starting Strength program on Monday. I hope you're still enjoying the program and making great progress!
  • harkis
    harkis Posts: 14
    Options
    Hey I am a woman and I'm also starting Rippetoe's program tomorrow (Monday). I can do squats and am new to deadlifts but the book has all the information I need to do it right. Tomorrow may something of a training day but I plan to push it. Best of luck and I'll keep posting throughout the week with progress and observations.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Hey I am a woman and I'm also starting Rippetoe's program tomorrow (Monday). I can do squats and am new to deadlifts but the book has all the information I need to do it right. Tomorrow may something of a training day but I plan to push it. Best of luck and I'll keep posting throughout the week with progress and observations.

Awesome, kick some butt!
  • harkis
    Options
    So my afterthoughts from workout number one:

My squats are weak. The program in the book recommends 20lb increases with each set. I went with 10lb increases and didn't quite break 100lbs. Not quite disappointed, I know I'll try harder next time maybe with a 20lb initial increase and try hard to break that 100. The press was the most disappointing in that I only got above bar weight on the second and third set and then had to move back down to finish my reps. Also this was the most difficult to correct form for me as I'd never done it before. Trying to watch the bar and make sure it's going straight up and down. Might have to ditch the baseball cap for this one...
    The deadlift was a nice way to finish. I felt strong for this and got up to 155lbs total by the end. I also got sweatier than I expected and spent almost an hour at the gym which was more than I thought I would by just looking at the program.

All in all, I wish I had spent another 45 minutes to an hour there but this just tells me that I wasn't working hard enough.

I guess I'll see how I feel tomorrow. Hopefully more sore than I do now. :)

Also, if I finish the next workout with extra energy I'll both be worried that I didn't work hard enough and compelled to do a bunch of auxiliary *kitten*.
  • kensky
    Options
    Hi harkis! If it's any consolation, I missed the 20 lb increase part in Starting Strength completely and focused on his emphasis on form above all. I have been upping my weights in the teeniest increments and feel fine about that. I am still not above the 100 lb. mark on my squats though they are low low low LOW to the ground and I feel fine (great!) about that.

I am not even allowing myself to think about supplemental exercises until January. I feel like there is enough here in the basic program to keep me busy until then, no problem. When I do reach the stage where I feel like I can do more, I want to start with pull ups (no I can't do one...yet), dips and some of the weighted ab work that's featured in the book.
  • JNick77
    Options
    So my afterthoughts from workout number one:

My squats are weak. The program in the book recommends 20lb increases with each set. I went with 10lb increases and didn't quite break 100lbs. Not quite disappointed, I know I'll try harder next time maybe with a 20lb initial increase and try hard to break that 100. The press was the most disappointing in that I only got above bar weight on the second and third set and then had to move back down to finish my reps. Also this was the most difficult to correct form for me as I'd never done it before. Trying to watch the bar and make sure it's going straight up and down. Might have to ditch the baseball cap for this one...
    The deadlift was a nice way to finish. I felt strong for this and got up to 155lbs total by the end. I also got sweatier than I expected and spent almost an hour at the gym which was more than I thought I would by just looking at the program.

All in all, I wish I had spent another 45 minutes to an hour there but this just tells me that I wasn't working hard enough.

I guess I'll see how I feel tomorrow. Hopefully more sore than I do now. :)

Also, if I finish the next workout with extra energy I'll both be worried that I didn't work hard enough and compelled to do a bunch of auxiliary *kitten*.

If you can only move up 5 to 10 pounds at a time that's fine, don't let that discourage you. The strength increase will come in time, stay positive. :)

Regarding Squats: Now is the perfect time to make sure your form is where it needs to be. Make sure you're at least going parallel and not 45-degrees like many "trainers" teach. Good YouTube video is "So You THink You can Squat" if you're interested.

Regarding the Overhead Press: It's not really straight up-and-down. It's more like up and over your head is where you should really finish.

Don't worry about feeling okay when you're done. It's not necessarily good to feel totally destroyed when you're done working out. Too much of that and you'll experience over-training. ;-)

Edit: I haven't actually read this book but I've read other work from him and respect his methods. Does he actually teach you in the book to Overhead Press, Squat, and Deadlift in the same workout?
  • AmazonAlog
    AmazonAlog Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi harkis! If it's any consolation, I missed the 20 lb increase part in Starting Strength completely and focused on his emphasis on form above all. I have been upping my weights in the teeniest increments and feel fine about that. I am still not above the 100 lb. mark on my squats though they are low low low LOW to the ground and I feel fine (great!) about that.

I am not even allowing myself to think about supplemental exercises until January. I feel like there is enough here in the basic program to keep me busy until then, no problem. When I do reach the stage where I feel like I can do more, I want to start with pull ups (no I can't do one...yet), dips and some of the weighted ab work that's featured in the book.

Hey kensky. I'm not on the Starting Strength program but I'm familiar with the exercises presented.

This site is a wonderful resource with a focus on women and weights (but is great for men also). http://www.stumptuous.com/dork-diva-squat#backsquat

JNick77 is right on about squat form. If you are flexible enough, you want to be nice and low aka "*kitten* to grass," hams to calves, without compensating your back. Form, form, form... what I say, is if you get hurt, you can't lift! Heh. Try to set up a digital camera and record your lifts if you aren't sure, then you can get feedback. Also it's pretty cool to see later how far you've come!

Don't get so down on your press. In general, benching and pressing motions will be the weakest lifts for women, followed by the squat and deadlift (the order of these two depends). It can take a couple sessions to feel completely comfortable with movements you aren't familiar with, so also do your best to not pressure yourself to add weight if you don't feel ready.

Eventually, you'll feel like you're putting in the work. It's not always about the time, but rather the effort. :)
  • AmazonAlog
    AmazonAlog Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Wow. I think the board just ate my reply and wouldn't let me edit it. So I'll start again.

Hi kensky. I'm not on Starting Strength but I'm familiar with the movements. Great job so far!

This site is a great resource for women and weights, but also great for men.
    http://www.stumptuous.com/dork-diva-squat#backsquat

Don't get so down on your presses. For women, benching and pressing motions are typically the weakest lifts followed by the squat and deadlift (which comes first depends on the person).

JNick77 was right on the mark with squat form. Form form form! If you're flexible enough, you want to go all the way down, aka "*kitten* to grass," hams to calves - without rounding your back. If you can't, that's fine also - try to push past parallel for the best benefits though.

You should be able to add in some light assistance work to help you progress on pull ups and dips. Trust me, those take some time! Don't be discouraged though and keep at it. Really - the first day you do your first pull up will be a triumphant one :D

Eventually, you'll feel like you're putting in the work. Keep at it! It's not always about the length of time spent in the gym, but more so about the quality, and after these workouts you'll have lots of quality time to talk about!
  • harkis
    Options
    Kensky I am so wi-hifiving you right now. I really try to think about form every time I go to the gym now but as the weight goes up the form goes down and like a jerk I have an ego and stuff and just have the compelling desire to hurt myself...or something. Not really sure. heheh. So far when i do squats I really pay attention to form and only find it failing near the end. If I can't get up to five reps with good form that's ok and I'll quit before but there's usually that last rep where I allow my back to bow. This is probably not ok. I'll have to have a talking to with my gym ego. *smacks ego in face!
    My squats are also super low which I think I feel good about... is there such a thing as a squat too low? I certainly feel it almost as an almost exclusively hip powered exercise.
    Tomorrow! Day two (b)
    edit: watching the first video now and hearing about 'head position' in a manner that's contradictory to the book. Cue doubt.

Jnick, I have to ask what you mean by parallel. I keep my quads parallel to the angle of my shins and feet and drop my hips almost to my heels (which I try to keep on the ground, on the heavier sets they tend to lift at the top)

Along with the Starting Strength book I've also got IronMind by Randall J. Strossen which has been really helpful with thinking through things, predicting, and setting myself up for success in the weight room.

The book refers to every heavyweight exercise as being driven from the center of the foot. I keep this in mind every time I pick up a bar but I need to recheck myself especially on the squat. I've done a lot of bodyweight squats but I got on that machine that has a fixed bar and found it uncomfortable.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Kensky I am so wi-hifiving you right now. I really try to think about form every time I go to the gym now but as the weight goes up the form goes down and like a jerk I have an ego and stuff and just have the compelling desire to hurt myself...or something. Not really sure. heheh. So far when i do squats I really pay attention to form and only find it failing near the end. If I can't get up to five reps with good form that's ok and I'll quit before but there's usually that last rep where I allow my back to bow. This is probably not ok. I'll have to have a talking to with my gym ego. *smacks ego in face!
    My squats are also super low which I think I feel good about... is there such a thing as a squat too low? I certainly feel it almost as an almost exclusively hip powered exercise.

Sounds like you're doing well then. I just get reminded of how badly the squat is taught everyday I go to the gym and see other's squatting and just feel inclined to mention squat form that's all. :-)

The pressing exercises can be complicated. Just remember that the movement pattern is actually very similar, it's just a matter of pressing at different angles (standing, incline, flat, decline). Practice, practice, practice, you'll get there.

Assistance work is good to do but no need to overdo it. Does Rippletoe give a training split?

Keep up the good work! :)
  • harkis
    Options
    So far from what I can tell Rippetoe's program does not call for any splits. In fact it's just a three day week with nothing but compound exercises. I think this is what you're asking, like back day/leg day/ arm,shoulder/ and chest. So far it's squats each session with some kind of press and a deadlift alt powerclean.

Yesterday I did the B workout which is squat/ bench press/ back ext. & chins. I can't do unassisted chins yet but I did move down on my assistance weight which I feel great about. I also moved up on the squat weight :D and held my form better than I did last time. JNick - I watched the "so you think you can squat series" and I found them super informative. I'll probably keep watching them but like Kelsky I'm not planning on adding any assistance exercises until I've been through a few weeks of this alternating A & B program.

If Rippetoe says it works, it probably stinking works and maybe I should just have a little faith...but I don't know if I can really feel good about rest days outnumbering work days. I just get so anxious! Gahh, maybe just 10 minutes of Hiit on the bike every other day...maybe not. Any feedback on that idea?

Today I'm thinking I'll go in and see if I can learn the movements of the power clean which is on the agenda for tomorrow. It looks fun, and also easy to mess up by engaging the arms.

I wish someone would come over and mention form at my gym! It's a small town and the only way I can avoid crowds of giggling teenagers is to get in and out before the kids are released from school.
  • JNick77
    Options
    So far from what I can tell Rippetoe's program does not call for any splits. In fact it's just a three day week with nothing but compound exercises. I think this is what you're asking, like back day/leg day/ arm,shoulder/ and chest. So far it's squats each session with some kind of press and a deadlift alt powerclean.

Yesterday I did the B workout which is squat/ bench press/ back ext. & chins. I can't do unassisted chins yet but I did move down on my assistance weight which I feel great about. I also moved up on the squat weight :D and held my form better than I did last time. JNick - I watched the "so you think you can squat series" and I found them super informative. I'll probably keep watching them but like Kelsky I'm not planning on adding any assistance exercises until I've been through a few weeks of this alternating A & B program.

If Rippetoe says it works, it probably stinking works and maybe I should just have a little faith...but I don't know if I can really feel good about rest days outnumbering work days. I just get so anxious! Gahh, maybe just 10 minutes of Hiit on the bike every other day...maybe not. Any feedback on that idea?

Today I'm thinking I'll go in and see if I can learn the movements of the power clean which is on the agenda for tomorrow. It looks fun, and also easy to mess up by engaging the arms.

I wish someone would come over and mention form at my gym! It's a small town and the only way I can avoid crowds of giggling teenagers is to get in and out before the kids are released from school.

Once you're at it for a while you'll get a hang of things and you can create your own training splits and stuff. That's really part of it all... learning the basics and then adjusting for your personal needs and goals. :)