What is considered low carb???

Options
124»

Replies

• RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Glucose is a type of sugar. CHO is easily broken down by the body into the monosaccharide glucose (blood sugar). But proteins can be be converted to glucose as well through gluconeogenesis so are they sugars too?

No, proteins have different chemical structure so are not classed as saccharides. Glucose is the energy currency of cells, so gluconeogenesis is necessary irrespective of the original structure from which those atoms came. Food needn't start out as saccharides to be turned into glucose for use. Carbohydrates just happen to be complex sugars to begin with, but that doesn't mean other structures can't be broken down and used as glucose for energy.
    "However, 'zero' carb diets are almost impossible to achieve in reality, because almost all food stuffs contain some type of carbohydrates. Including meats, other proteins, fats, etc. "
    Zero carb is just the goal of the diet, and like all dietary goals it is hard to achieve perfectly because like you said, there are trace amounts of carbs in so many things. However, when people set out to be vegan for example, that is pretty hard to perfectly achieve as well as there are animal products or things made from animals in so many things. Just because you don't perfectly adhere to the goals of the diet doesn't make it 'impossible' to shoot for and I know for a fact that there is a sizable zero carb group of dieters out there.
    No arguments here - I am aware that 'zero-carb' as a goal is a real thing. If people want to go for it, there's no real reason they shouldn't. I'm just pointing out, as you mention, that truly 'zero' carb is almost impossible.
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    No arguments here - I am aware that 'zero-carb' as a goal is a real thing. If people want to go for it, there's no real reason they shouldn't. I'm just pointing out, as you mention, that truly 'zero' carb is almost impossible.

Yeah, I agree.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I can do a somersault.
    I can do a choctaw
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I can do a somersault.
    I can do a choctaw
    I can flip my eyelid inside out.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I can do a somersault.
    I can do a choctaw

I can cross one eye without crossing the other.
  • lenwie
    lenwie Posts: 240
    Options
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/nutrient_calculator.htm

This is a good site for working out the different percentage levels for carbs/protein/fat, be it regular/lowfat/lowcarb/atkins that you maybe following, depending on your cal intake it will give you an indication too on the amount of calories that should come from each also.
  • Naughtybiscuit
    Naughtybiscuit Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I can do a somersault.
    I can do a choctaw

This made me LOL.

Wow, I read this thread thinking it was going to be really useful, but instead it was just a penis contest. Poor OP!!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.
    The forum guidelines include this item:

4) Do not attack/slam/insult other users. The forums are here so that members can help support one another. Attacks or insults against each other takes away from the supportive atmosphere and will not be tolerated. You can discuss the message or topic, but not the messenger - NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, YOU will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself, defending a friend, etc. are NOT excuses. Violations of this rule are taken very seriously and may result in being banned without warning! If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/14923-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    CatCrazy
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
This discussion has been closed.