Things parents say that cause eating problems

Options
2»

Replies

• juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Yikes! The author must have been hiding in closets at every place I ever lived!
  • ABetterBalance
    Options
    I've commented on my son being a good eater and my daughter being a picky eater. I try to phrase things carefully.

With my son, it's because he is more adverterous than most. He will eat *anything* at least once. The only thing he doesn't really like is tomato, and we never try to force him to eat it. If there is a food he doesn't like, he usually will cook it with me and try to find a way to make it better. I think that's fantastic and I want him to know.

I comment on my daughter being picky- but it's more the fact that she's stubborn. If she doesn't like the way something looks on her plate- she won't eat it. I wouldn't mind if she tried things and didn't like them, but sitting there refusing to eat a single bite drives me up the wall.

The only "rule" we have about finishing everything or desserts, etc... is that they have to wait 15 minutes before having a snack. My son will inhale his dinner sometimes and then immediately ask for a snack. I tell him to wait 15 minutes and give his body time to realize if it's really still hungry or not. If he is still hungry in 15 minutes, we find a snack for him, but most of the time he doesn't come back for it.
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    We got #3 all the time; 'starving kids in China' from my Dad. I was a geek before the term was coined and made the mistake of quoting him record crop production totals from the Wall Street Journal (required reading in our house). I got the 'parental glare' and had to finish my supper in the mud room since I 'couldn't behave respectfully'. :laugh: I would never try that with a kid today.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I have never been really effected by it because I didn't listen but my mom would tell me to 'clean my plate' which I am told is bad because it forces people to overeat :) Of course I didn't and I'd feed the dogs under the table :)
  • NiennaMarie
    Options
    I do the "if you eat all your dinner then you can have dessert" :( But only on the days when she's refusing to eat anything at all. I think I'd find it really difficult to stop doing it :/ x
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I do the "if you eat all your dinner then you can have dessert" :( But only on the days when she's refusing to eat anything at all. I think I'd find it really difficult to stop doing it :/ x

We do that too. My son is an eating machine but my daughter hardly eats anything at all.