I CANT AVOID FAST FOOD

Options

Replies

• Schwiggs
    Schwiggs Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Then eat the healthy option at fast food places or get something at a convenience store. (it really is easy to find something healthy at either place). People who think that food can only be healthy if it's prepared by themselves are misguided imo.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I see you are new to MFP. So... Welcome1.gif
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    ...Oh please, you all remember what it was like when you first started to make your changes...You may not know how to get started or not educated about what healthy means and how to make it a priority, that's why she is here asking. You are all right about it being a choice, but give the girl some suggestions.

1. Get a cheap little crock pot. You can put veggies, chicken, lean pork, and all kinds of things in there. This will usually make several meals.
    2. Raw fruits and veggies is great, find it at the grocery store and keep it on hand. If there is not a store nearby, there has to be farms. Get to them, they are fresher that way anyway.
    3. Get your friends involved so that you can do it together, plus you guys can share foods so there is more of a variety.
    4. If you're a college girl, see if you qualify for food stamps in your state. It will assist you to buy foods and often offer classes to assist you to eat better. In OR you would qualify for $200 a month if you didn't work, but attended school.
    5. Make it your priority.
    6. Research your FF menus beforehand. You will probably be shocked and sickened, but you can also make a better choice before you go to these places. They are also required to have a Nutritional Guide available for you to look at. Read it while your friends order. Your friends will prob catch on.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Then eat the healthy option at fast food places or get something at a convenience store. (it really is easy to find something healthy at either place). People who think that food can only be healthy if it's prepared by themselves are misguided imo.

:flowerforyou:
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    purchase a crockpot and the fix it and forget it light cookbook.. then think fresh fruit and veggies, nuts not that hard and takes very little time. It will be much cheaper than eating out all the time.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Don't make excuses. It is actually more expensive to eat fast food than to cook your own, healthier food!

I made a veggie soup the other night loaded with carrots, celery, garlic, onions, tomatoes, lentils, and quinoa for about $15 and it made 6 servings, which equals out to $2.50 a meal. It only took me about 45 mins to make. Here is the recipe: http://cleaneatingchelsey.com/2011/04/17/quinoa-vegetable-soup/
  • CrisN99
    CrisN99 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I go to school far away from home, so I only go there on weekends, anyway, from where I live I'm surrounded by fastfood everywhere and as much as i'd like to cook my own healthy food. healthy food is expensive, and i dont really have time to cook.. any sugguestions?

Repeat after me: Crock Pot

There are some amazing super easy, super cheap, and virtually no-prep time crock pot recipes out there. I have a lot if you would like some. Just message me or look through some of the recipes on MFP or other places.

^^^^^^^^ Definitely this!

You don't have to have time to use this great tool! Just throw a few chicken breasts in carrots, potatoes, peas and a can of low sodium chicken broth or cream of chicken soup if you like it thicker and serve (up to four meals- that will freeze well) over brown rice.

Join allrecipes for free and you can spend hours compiling healthy, quick recipes.

Just want it enough and you will get it. I too thought fast food was the only thing I could manage: but even if you only eat out half as much you will be doing yourself a great favor! Good luck!
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I go to school far away from home, so I only go there on weekends, anyway, from where I live I'm surrounded by fastfood everywhere and as much as i'd like to cook my own healthy food. healthy food is expensive, and i dont really have time to cook.. any sugguestions?

Yeah right. You can't MAKE your food before you go to school? Or the night before? There are fast food places everywhere but don't allow yourself to believe the lame excuses you are making. There's gotta be a store or something near by if you look hard enough.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I think you are just choosing to eat fast food so rock on.....I could all my food for the week on the weekend so that I don't have to wonder about what I'm going to eat.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I want to say something positive but.. I just keep laughing.

If you want to lose 30 lbs you will make it possible to buy and cook healthy food.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I think you are just choosing to eat fast food so rock on.....I cook all my food for the week on the weekend so that I don't have to wonder about what I'm going to eat.

I do the same thing!
  • Alice230
    Options
    I think you can avoid it but,I'll play along. You can get a salad or a chicken sandwich and substitute the fries for the apple wedges they have. Don't eat the dipping sauce they have and drink water with the meal.
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Eating healthier foods is not always cheaper like most of you claim. Especially for someone like me who eats over 2600 calories a day.

I can go to Buger King and get two sausage biscuits for $2 and get 900 calories out of it. Now tell me what whole foods i can get for $2 and get the same amount of calories?

I'm by no means saying its better for you. But as far as bang for the buck .......................
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I feed a family of 5 on $3 per person for dinner. So $15. If we were to go to McDonald's, it would cost us $30.00. And we eat good at home. Last night we had balsamic glazed pork chops with roasted potatoes, steamed asparagus and a salad. I think this is a VERY reasonable cost for a healthy meal.
  • stresco
    stresco Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Its a choice you have to make for yourself. I travel constantly for work and when I am home I am swamped with catchup work and my kids. So i know what it is like to not have enough hours in a day. Try cooking large quantities, enough for 4 - 5 meals and freeze it. If you can do this 3 - 4 times a month, you will have dinner covered and lunches covered. I also carry protein bars with me in my laptop bag everywhere I go, so I have a healthy choice for a snack at airports. Finally, when you have no choice but to eat out, look for healthier items on the menu. You can find a chicken salad anywhere and everywhere.
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Fat food is expensive! You can make a meal for two on what a fast food meal costs. There are all sorts of ways of eating healthy for cheap but people are not willing to shop around as they just want convinience food.

Heck yeah it is. I make my breakfast lunch and dinner for about $6 a day. $8 if i have steak. It's a lot cheaper than spending $10 on a big mac fries and shake!
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I've had that schedule, esp in college. I literally was scrambling to find time to even eat some days, much less cook! What I found the most helpful was the suggestion that's already been made here about pre-making meals. Wraps were huge for me... I'd boil chicken and divide it out, and then grab a pack from the freezer to add to my wrap... to eat on the go.

When you get that time to cook, make more than one meal. Warming something up is the same amount of time as going through a drive through line; and usually healthier and better tasting.
  • mamafrahm
    mamafrahm Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Healthy food isn't as expensive as eating fast food all the time. If you really want to make your self healthier, you need to quit making excuses like "I can't avoid fast food" because that is a lie.. you are just too lazy to avoid it.

Is that the way you encourage people on here??? Glad you are not my friend!!!!

How about offering some helpful tips or ideas on how she can eat healthy & not spend too much!

Offer helpful tips? Ok... Go to Aldi's or Walmart, they have lots of fresh fruits and veggies at good prices, ANY store has healthy food choices. Get a crock pot if you don't have time to prepare a meal. Don't buy pre-packaged vegetables that you heat in a microwave.. microwaving vegetables (or any foods for that matter) defeats the purpose of buying veggies. These are things that anyone who wants to make a healthy lifestyle change should know. I'm not saying avoid fast food all together, but to say you can't avoid it at all is nuts..

And as far as how I encourage people on here.... sometimes the truth hurts. Ever hear of the phrase tough love? Sometimes that is what people need.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Cooking does not have to be time consuming and does not have to be expensive...get creative. Google is your friend.
  • stresco
    stresco Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Cooking at home is MUCH cheaper than eating out, no matter what kind of food you order at the rest.