Your piss- Which color is the good color

Options

Replies

• mfpgeezy
    Options
    well yellow doesnt always mean dehydrated, clear is good and means ur hydrated, mine is always yellow cause the multi vitamin i take has alot of b vitamins which cause that, it can be slightly yellow normal and u can be ok but if its dark yellow or brown(in sever cases) you are dehydrated.... good luck with your peeeeee
  • NemesisJRM
    NemesisJRM Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    http://urinecolors.com/ <<< answer your question ?
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Clear up to a straw color is showing you are getting enough water per day (Note some medications can cause a darker urine, so if its a darker yellow and your getting in enough water ask your Dr. about your meds)
  • timothyjkiser
    timothyjkiser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Clear is healthy & hydrated.

This
  • PattyCake123
    PattyCake123 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    google--> webMD

What color means you have healthy urine?

A light yellow urine color typically signifies a very healthy urine. The light straw yellow urine will have a low odor, few bubbles in the urine, little to no foam in urine, and have a clear urine consistency.

Congratulations, your urine is probably healthy.

Shouldn't healthy urine be clear?

While it would seem that the clearer the urine the more healthy, that is not necessisarliy the case. If you urine color is very clear, it is showing a high concentration of water and a lower concentration of actual waste. Clear urine could mean you are very well hydrated, but a low concetration of waste is not necessarily a good thing. What this means is that you need to pee more in order to get rid the waste your body doesn't need.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I think the confusion lies in where you're actually looking at it. If you're peeing into a cup at the hospital, they are looking for light yellow or "straw" colored urine. If it's clear at that point it could actually be an issue because there's too much water and not enough waste. I know only because I asked the nurse when I was in the ER last April. However, if you're looking into the toilet bowl, it should be clear because the water dilutes the color.

I hope that helps!
  • SlimSadieG
    SlimSadieG Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    By the end of the day, if it wasn't for tissues I could get away without flushing, it's that clear!

Unless I've had my vitamins. In that case, it's like kryptonite.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    drinking all the water that we drink, of course its going to be clear,

even my kids could have told you that, where do you think the water goes ?

LOL

:laugh:
  • ZombieKillaPrincess
    ZombieKillaPrincess Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    good to know!
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    pale yellow is usually best. clear could mean kidney functions aren't working well, or you're just diluting what you do produce. next time you go to the doctor, ask about it and tell them how much you've been drinking.

and as a side note, what you eat can affect what color is too. broccoli and asparagus especially
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter unless it's dark brown. Then you have rhabdomyolysis and need to rush to the ER before you go into kidney failure.

I always thought that was called "Poo Poo" or "Poopie" or "poos" or "dooky"
  • samuelette
    samuelette Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    "Does clear urine mean you're healthy? What causes clear urine?

Clear urine CAN mean you're healthy. Typically, the healthier you are, the lighter your urine color. While you would think that clear urine would mean a well hydrated, healthy body, it may actually be a symptom of some other issues. The ideal healthy urine color is actually a straw yellow color. Clear urine that does not appear to have any color can mean that you are healthy and have a well-hydrated body, but it could also mean that you are over hydrated and risk water intoxication (water poisoning) or you may even have diabetes."
    More at: http://www.urinecolors.com/clear_urine_color.php

But at 8 glasses per day, I doubt you're at risk for water intoxication. I'd say you're okay.

"It's Not How Much You Drink, It's How Fast You Drink It!

The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition."
    More at: http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm
  • BloodLad
    BloodLad Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Very useful chart. I'm always drinking till it's clear...nice to know that light amber color means hydrated as well.
  • malakod
    Options
    I live off asparagus, so I pee hilighter fluid
  • elmsallmissile
    Options
    There is no need to drink til you're clear. A light yellow is fine. If you're clear that means you are super hydrated and that really isn't necessary. You don't want to be dehydrated but what's the point of drinking so much that there's nothing left to filter and your kidneys are just getting rid of excess water? We never do anything normal, everything is always overkill. This water hype is overkill in my opinion. Even in the hospital, when we are pouring IV's into people, and have them on catheters, they never get clear, always light yellow. I can't imagine how much you guys are drinking to get to clear. It can't be good for you.

Thank goodness for someone with common sense! the beauty of your renal system is it's ability to concentrate urine in order to maintain homeostasis, drinking to obvious excess as many on here would have you do is dangerous.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    If it is a light color very little yellow almost like straw colored they you my friend are hydrated. Once it starts going into the darker yellows you need to drink more fluids. I had the same question a few weeks back as I thought it was odd the color had changed and thought maybe I was sick lol
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Lighter the better in general, but there are exception. There are ceirtan food that can color your urine and it is ok. Last week a day I ate a huge amount of raw beets, and my pee became kind of pink the next day. It scared the hell out of me, but then I read upon it, and it is normal.
    Also I used to take a B vitamin complex and it made my urine bright bright yellow. It was prescribed it to me by a Dr, and I was warned ahead of time of the color change. Obviously huge amount of vitamin B makes urine yellow.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    There is no need to drink til you're clear. A light yellow is fine. If you're clear that means you are super hydrated and that really isn't necessary. You don't want to be dehydrated but what's the point of drinking so much that there's nothing left to filter and your kidneys are just getting rid of excess water? We never do anything normal, everything is always overkill. This water hype is overkill in my opinion. Even in the hospital, when we are pouring IV's into people, and have them on catheters, they never get clear, always light yellow. I can't imagine how much you guys are drinking to get to clear. It can't be good for you.

Every doctor (both naturopathic and main stream medical doctors) have always said that clear is what you should aim for. Any color at all in the urine is indicative of dehydration.

Light yellow signals the start of dehydration and the darker the yellow the worse the dehydration is.

The human body is made up of mostly water so drinking a lot of water makes perfect sense. It keeps everything in balance.

Also, the human kidneys can filter up to 15 liters of water per day so there is no way that drinking 2 or 3 liters of water is in any way over kill.

I think many people downplay the importance of water for PROPER human body function just to have the excuse of being able to drink their chemical and sugar filled drinks.