Damsel in Distress

Options

Replies

• musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Nope, I prefer to do things myself..I know how to change a tire, how to change my oil, how to change the oil filter, I also know where to put in the washer fluid, brake fluid, etc. I don't particularly like it when guys insist on opening doors, but I also won't go off on them if they do. I know many men were taught at a young age to do such things for girls, but I am not a weakling..I can open a door LOL I am also not really one to whine unless I'm just being silly about it LOL
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options

Do some guys like women to play damsel in distress? You should ask this question! :)

Yeah, I wonder this myself. (Not that it would make much of a difference...I am what I am, LOL)

Hubs says he likes my independence, but I think I might step on his toes sometimes.

I asked him to open a tough jar one day (I mean, TOUGH...tapped it, ran the lid under hot water, used the opposing-torque hand position, NUTTIN"!) He smiled broadly, dangled the jar in front of me, and said "Say it! Say it again!"

Head hung low, I sheepishly said "I need help". He cackled madly the whole time he was opening the jar (which wasn't exactly easy for him, either, btw).
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    freshman year of college: my mom and my aunt came down for family weekend. we went out for breakfast, and when we came out, my aunt's car had a flat tire.

Aunt: i have roadside assitance

Mom: i saw some men inside.

Me: pop the trunk.

i can change my own tire. i can open my own jars. i can kill my own spiders. and while there are critters i get jittery about, i take care of them too.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Just wondering, why is everyone so petrified of spiders? I mean, they're not my favorite animal in the whole world, but I'm not sure I understand the complete irrational fear of them. And this is coming from someone who's been bitten by a big wolf spider in her sleep and a brown recluse, thankfully not at the same time. Haha.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    It was a requirement from my dad before getting my license that i learn to change my own oil and tires. The tire thing has come in handy a couple of times for sure. Im handy around the house and usually try and fix everything before I call a repairman. Sometimes I DO make it worse, admittedly. But I always try. I love a good excuse to break out my power tools too. Spiders are no biggie - i scoop them up and take them outside unless theyre too gnarly.
    However.... would I rather play damsel in distress and have some dude come fix it for me?? Um... yeah :blushing:
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    btw I WILL NOT AND I REPEAT WILL NOT DEAL WITH SNAKES!
  • scarletleavy
    Options

Haha. I actually love snakes. I grew up with a pet snake, an albino corn snake.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I've never done an oil change or changed a tire, but I know how to do it in theory. I try not to kill spiders as they eat the really annoying bugs. And my husband and I had a deal when we were renting a house with a mouse problem. He would empty traps, I would clean the bathrooms. Mice flat out disgust me beyond what normal people would think was possible, and he's disgusted at the thought of cleaning toilets, or plumbing in general. So it's win win. Also I don't kill bugs that crunch when you kill them. Yuck!
  • boomboom011
    Options

i will need your # on speed dial. I once had 4 garden/garter snakes in my house at one time and I had to take a xanax to calm down. i am just scared to death. However, with that said, i try to learn as much as possible about them just in case i encounter something that is way more dangerous than what I ran into in my home. UGH. this makes my skin crawl thinking about it.

Now alligators I love.
  • scarletleavy
    Options

i will need your # on speed dial. I once had 4 garden/garter snakes in my house at one time and I had to take a xanax to calm down. i am just scared to death. However, with that said, i try to learn as much as possible about them just in case i encounter something that is way more dangerous than what I ran into in my home. UGH. this makes my skin crawl thinking about it.

Now alligators I love.

I grew up with a nature loving mother so we always had strange animals around the house. In college I was the go-to girl in my sorority for dealing with bugs/spiders/cockroaches/crickets, etc. I got lots of free beer/booze this way!
  • annrum
    annrum Posts: 144
    Options
    I know how to change the wheel on a car... so far I've never had to do so. Would I do it myself? All depends on when & where the tire blew! I'm not risking my personal safety just for the sake of showing I can change the wretched thing! Do I know how the enginge works? Nope & I'm not interested. I know how to check the oil levels though :smile:

I've asked for assistance in building flat pack furniture but that's only because it's easier with two people to build some things rather than doing it by yourself - in the case of really big bookshelves, almost essential to have another pair of hands!

I don't do the "Oh, I'm such a weak & feeble woman, I couldn't possibly do x/y/z" thing. I'm not weak & feeble, I'm perfectly capable of most things. Just not everything, I'm not totally perfect, there's always room for improvement! :wink:
  • hchandler0823
    hchandler0823 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I can change a tire, I change my own oil, I rebuilt the engine in my old truck.

Damsel in distress is definitely not something I do. If I need help, I ask. If I don't need help, I don't ask.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I think some of you don't get it. It's not about what you can and can't do. It's about what you do and don't have to do.

I live by myself. I open 99% of my jars and stand on stools piled with phone books to change light bulbs and smoke detector batteries all the time. But when there's a guy around, well, I don't have to mess with that stuff. I don't think there's anything wrong with letting a man be a man when the opportunity arises. But that's how I was raised. Geez, my dad's head would explode if he ever saw me with a guy who didn't offer to do the heavy lifting, so to speak.
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Most guys I know love the damsel in distress thing. Now, I don't do the whole "Ewww, it's a spider! Let me jump on a chair so you can kill it!" act, but I'll ask a guy to open a jar or reach something on a high shelf for me. And if he offers to do it without me asking, I can really play that up and make him feel like a million bucks. I think they get a kick out of it, and so do I.

My 6 year old niece would always ask me to get stuff off the shelf for her. I taught her how to pull out the drawers and climb on the counter to get it herself.......She is more independent now but, my sister is pissed and IDK why.

You taught your niece to pull out drawers and climb on them?!? They were not built to withstand the weight of a 6 year old. You gonna teach her how to fix them when one of them busts loose?
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    freshman year of college: my mom and my aunt came down for family weekend. we went out for breakfast, and when we came out, my aunt's car had a flat tire.

Aunt: i have roadside assitance

Mom: i saw some men inside.

Me: pop the trunk.

i can change my own tire. i can open my own jars. i can kill my own spiders. and while there are critters i get jittery about, i take care of them too.

So can I. But it's not necessary.
  • WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Options
    I don't play it on purpose, but I'll ask my fiance to do things such as hang pictures, the curtain rods, etc. mainly because I do all the other household stuff so I figure he can do something to help out! Plus, it makes him feel useful. I'll also ask him to get things down for me instead of me grabbing a chair to get something that's high up. He's 6'3"....he's used to is. LOL I do know how to change a tire, but each time I've had a flat, I was always by myself and at night. So I felt more comfortable having a man come change it for me. :)
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Can't change a tire or do car repairs (well, I can add oil, fluids, and change fuses). Can't/won't do any electrical work. Outside of that, I can do it myself. My husband normally does the "man" work, but if he's not around, I will do it. And as far as putting things together or installing electronics, he better not even try! :wink:
  • katherines2230
    katherines2230 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I do and in fact did it today :happy:
  • theologynerd
    theologynerd Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Exactly. That's kind of what I was referring to with my post about chivalry. Your dad's head would explode because he expects his daughter to be treated with chivalry, which is respect.
  • boomboom011
    Options
    with regard to jars, i have run across a couple lately that i just couldnt get open. i did however get my daughter who is as strong as an ox to do it. I mean that in the most flaterring way. she is so strong.